ADVERTISEMENT

SR v LA

For those keeping score at home (I know Quags isn't one of them) but the blue Frosh race stands:

MC 3-0 with PC left
SR 2-1 with BR left
PC 1-1 with LA and MC left
BR and LA 0-2

And the really promising part is that each game has been extremely competitive which hasn't always been the case in recent years. So that bodes well for all the schools as these Frosh move up in the years to come. (Please disregard post if you don't like frosh scores or records posted, there are other posts and threads to read)

Reactions: Gene K.
Holecek is the best coach in the state. But that's not you posted. If your backtracking ok then. Everyone here for the most part gave you guys a pass on the week one suspensions. Thou at Phillips they would have gotten band credit.

Southside: we've all been reading Bowie's post for a long time. He's a cool dude with respect for otter high school programs. Nothing but respect for thr south side schools ( as I have also). I think we all need to take him at his word based on the past postings. It's not about economics. All he said was they have a good conditioning, nutrition progaram. They do at LA. So what
. It's not a rip on Rita. MC, BR, Rita. top notch schools with excellent athletics. Let's move on.

LA has 3 sophs starting on the varsity O-line. I promise you that Rita is not on par with LA by the time these kids in wilmette go through LA's nutrition, strength and conditioning program. Frosh/Soph scores are little indication of how these kids will do at the varsity level.

Well I guess former Chicago Bear Dennis Lick, Ahmad Merritt, Tony Simmons were freaks of nature and got lucky to make it to the NFL. Ryan Donahue must not have gotten any nutrition, strength and conditioning programs at Rita either. Just a couple of years ago Mike Kafka, Darius Fleming, Bruce Gaston, and Matt Conrath were all on NFL rosters at the same time. Kenny Golladay is now playing for the Detroit Lions. Somehow I think these guys got a little coaching, nutrition, strength and conditioning training at St. Rita.

Holecek is a very good coach with superior talent at the school. You had a great coach there before him in John Hoerster. A class act. His senior year in high school after he signed with NW (how did a poor south side kid get into NW?) he still worked out with the team and helped with the freshmen in spring practice. That’s where I met him. He was always destined to coach. He is in your hall of fame along with another coach Bob Spoo who was 51-9 at Loyola. They are both St. Rita graduates.

Last edited:
For those keeping score at home (I know Quags isn't one of them) but the blue Frosh race stands:

MC 3-0 with PC left
SR 2-1 with BR left
PC 1-1 with LA and MC left
BR and LA 0-2

And the really promising part is that each game has been extremely competitive which hasn't always been the case in recent years. So that bodes well for all the schools as these Frosh move up in the years to come. (Please disregard post if you don't like frosh scores or records posted, there are other posts and threads to read)

I don’t put a lot of stock in freshmen records but this year is looking good. Of course you would want you team to be 9-0 vs- 0-9. What I am encouraged by at SR is the fact the freshmen offense is running the same play book as the varsity which has not been the case in many of the past years. I golfed in August with the freshmen offense coach who took over the job this year. Great guy with a lot of energy. SR very seldom starts a junior QB on the varsity. I’ve always felt they were a year behind their counterparts at other schools. Jake Zylman is an exception. He was the starting catcher on this summer’s state championship baseball team. He’s a leader and tough kid. The 5-1 record is good but the long term goal of getting the kids ready for the varsity is even better now.

What I am disappointed in is at all schools across the area the number of kids coming out for football is down. I mean way down.

Last edited:
Reactions: emdee91
Southside: we've all been reading Bowie's post for a long time. He's a cool dude with respect for otter high school programs. Nothing but respect for thr south side schools ( as I have also). I think we all need to take him at his word based on the past postings. It's not about economics. All he said was they have a good conditioning, nutrition progaram. They do at LA. So what
. It's not a rip on Rita. MC, BR, Rita. top notch schools with excellent athletics. Let's move on.
Thanks GForce! I definitely have major respect for all of the schools in the Blue (Hoerster instilled this in us) with regard to the focus on service, academics and athletics. I have friends and family who attend or are alumni of Rice, Rita, MC and Provi.

Reactions: Gforce5
Thanks GForce! I definitely have major respect for all of the schools in the Blue (Hoerster instilled this in us) with regard to the focus on service, academics and athletics. I have friends and family who attend or are alumni of Rice, Rita, MC and Provi.

VERITAS
UNITAS
CARITAS

Time to move on.

Holecek is the best coach in the state. But that's not what you posted. If you are backtracking ok then. Everyone here for the most part gave you guys a pass on the week one suspensions. Thou at Phillips they would have gotten band credit.
Best coach in the state?
Certainly ONE of them... not sure he qualifies as THE. Kind of subjective.

And they DEFINITELY got a pass in week one!

Holecek is the best coach in the state. But that's not what you posted. If you are backtracking ok then. Everyone here for the most part gave you guys a pass on the week one suspensions. Thou at Phillips they would have gotten band credit.

He's a great coach, no doubt,
but before you canonize him ... what's his record in the state championship game?

Reactions: PRokie
but before you canonize him ... what's his record in the state championship game?

1-3

I'm not saying he should be canonized. In fact, I don't think anyone was saying that. I am saying that he probably needs a few more years of extraordinary success before we consider beatification first. I am also saying that there aren't too many coaches who have compiled an .831 winning percentage over the last 11+ years while playing in what has arguably been the most competitive football division in the state during that time period. None can say that they have brought their teams to the 8A finals in 4 of the last 6 years.

I don't think anyone is looking to canonize him, but he certainly will be a HOF coach. What he does to maximize his talent is second to no one. Last year was an aberration in having the Illinois player of the year for two years but look what he did with him, a state title and a runner up while going undefeated for two seasons. The type of players he gets do go to the Ivy's and Patriot league every so often, but never in the power 5. Overall his players that are very very smart overachievers that are in the chess club and/or in the band believe it or not, ( as is one starter this year). I think Lenti is a great coach and have said as much here in the past. However, compare LA with MC who consistently has IMG type talent, power 5 talent or NFL talent, not to mention a top 10 pick in baseball this year while not having to play in 8A. As far as PROkie, I agree with your previous post, its tough to say who is the best. I think Inserra does a marvelous job at MS. Again though, lets compare 3 players of the year for MS, Alviti, Perez and Jarvis since 2009. This goes with the dozens ( I can name them, but no time right now ) of offensive lineman that have gone to power 5 schools , including at Penn State, Michigan State and Syracuse currently. Not to mention, your last 4 or 5 Starting qb's are all playing or have played in college while at the same time once again possibly having a possible player of the year in the fantastic Fotis. Sorry, but the path is easier with less roadblocks in my humble opinion.

Wow, you really twisted this thing around and developed an entirely new issue. You may want to reread the thread a couple more times.

Its a way different environment on the north side than what BR, MC and SR have to deal with. LA is has no comp when it comes to a kid wanting to go to a catholic school and play in a top conference. Grant it they have to compete with the top suburban schools in the state but also money isnt an issue at LA like on the southside. PC has somewhat of same environment when it comes to dealing with suburban schools aka the Lincoln Ways

I said, he is a great coach, and I added, "no doubt, " so let's not all go Fox News, here.

I noticed Gforce's comment "Sorry, but the path is easier with less roadblocks in my humble opinion," and I wonder if he ever considered LA's position if all the kids they were recruiting (students and footballers) were also being recruited by three other schools. That is, if they were in the position of SR, MC, BR, and Marist. You can make the argument that LA competes with ND and CoM, but you can't do it with a straight face.

Again he is a great coach. Any kid would do very well to have him.

I said, he is a great coach, and I added, "no doubt, " so let's not all go Fox News, here.

I noticed Gforce's comment "Sorry, but the path is easier with less roadblocks in my humble opinion," and I wonder if he ever considered LA's position if all the kids they were recruiting (students and footballers) were also being recruited by three other schools. That is, if they were in the position of SR, MC, BR, and Marist. You can make the argument that LA competes with ND and CoM, but you can't do it with a straight face.

Again he is a great coach. Any kid would do very well to have him.
There you go again with the politics, MC63, you know the rules. Honestly, you will never change. :(

A couple of points. Firstly, take a look at who called him the greatest coach ever, southsidecfd, Secondly, look at the public schools near LA, New Trier and the two Glenbrooks. That is who they are competing with, and not for the athlete, but for the student. What public schools are near the south side Catholic schools? If LA gets the best and brightest, the athletics in all sports take care of themselves. You may find this hard to believe, but they do not recruit. An entrance exam ( not a placement exam ) needs to be taken and aid is determines by a third party company based on need. Anyway, my vote for best coach is John Dwyer. LA's girls varsity lacrosse coach who is on a 9 year state title winning streak. The John Wooden of Lacrosse.

A couple of points. Firstly, take a look at who called him the greatest coach ever, southsidecfd, Secondly, look at the public schools near LA, New Trier and the two Glenbrooks. That is who they are competing with, and not for the athlete, but for the student. What public schools are near the south side Catholic schools? If LA gets the best and brightest, the athletics in all sports take care of themselves. You may find this hard to believe, but they do not recruit. An entrance exam ( not a placement exam ) needs to be taken and aid is determines by a third party company based on need. Anyway, my vote for best coach is John Dwyer. LA's girls varsity lacrosse coach who is on a 9 year state title winning streak. The John Wooden of Lacrosse.

Please for Gods sake do not say they don't recruit.

Do, don't, proof, no proof, etc. It just opens up a can of worms we've been through on this board too many times, and aggravates people on both sides of the fence, only to get people upset with no resolution.

I can see you're all in with the kool-aid, reveling in the present and that's fine. You're a few years behind the great debate, and quite honestly it's exhausting.. Just don't say always, never, don't, didn't etc.

We've all (mostly) gotten to the point that it is what it is, and will never be resolved, hence no need to mention.

Capiche.

I don’t put a lot of stock in freshmen records but this year is looking good. Of course you would want you team to be 9-0 vs- 0-9. What I am encouraged by at SR is the fact the freshmen offense is running the same play book as the varsity which has not been the case in many of the past years. I golfed in August with the freshmen offense coach who took over the job this year. Great guy with a lot of energy. SR very seldom starts a junior QB on the varsity. I’ve always felt they were a year behind their counterparts at other schools. Jake Zylman is an exception. He was the starting catcher on this summer’s state championship baseball team. He’s a leader and tough kid. The 5-1 record is good but the long term goal of getting the kids ready for the varsity is even better now.

What I am disappointed in is at all schools across the area the number of kids coming out for football is down. I mean way down.

I understand about not putting too much stock into the lower level's records; but like you, I am very encouraged. Last year's Freshman won two games, I believe? They are now 5 - 1, against some very competitive programs. Yes, other team's Sophomores are probably playing at the varsity level, but I will take a 5 - 1 record with some good wins.

If Jake Zylman was the best QB as a junior last year, then that's the way it should be. I just hope his experiences will prep him for the upcoming playoffs; he led them last year to the playoffs as well.

I also believe some players are playing both ways, just like other successful programs do. You believe that is happening? Didn't RB Childress get a huge sack in the Laurence game?

Please for Gods sake do not say they don't recruit.

Do, don't, proof, no proof, etc. It just opens up a can of worms we've been through on this board too many times, and aggravates people on both sides of the fence, only to get people upset with no resolution.

I can see you're all in with the kool-aid, reveling in the present and that's fine. You're a few years behind the great debate, and quite honestly it's exhausting.. Just don't say always, never, don't, didn't etc.

We've all (mostly) gotten to the point that it is what it is, and will never be resolved, hence no need to mention.

Capiche.

That's fine. I respect the right to disagree. I would be hard pressed to believe that people on this board really care if Loyola recruits or not. If having Catholic grade school playoffs played at Hoerster field is recruiting, then fine they recruit. As to drinking thr kool aid, I will tell you from conversations I've had with Dr. Baal and Fr. McGrath ( the leaders at LA), it's against school policy to give any aid unless it's need based. They don't do it for academics, music, theater and athletics. You may choose to think that's bs, but I take these distinguished people at their word. It's a great institution because of what it stands for, not because of their athletics.

That's fine. I respect the right to disagree. I would be hard pressed to believe that people on this board really care if Loyola recruits or not. If having Catholic grade school playoffs played at Hoerster field is recruiting, then fine they recruit. As to drinking thr kool aid, I will tell you from conversations I've had with Dr. Baal and Fr. McGrath ( the leaders at LA), it's against school policy to give any aid unless it's need based. They don't do it for academics, music, theater and athletics. You may choose to think that's bs, but I take these distinguished people at their word. It's a great institution because of what it stands for, not because of their athletics.
Like I said... you're late to the dance.
Recruiting is different than scholarship. They recruit all the time. Scholarship... well... save that for another day.

Something tells me you knew someone who participated in wienerfest?

I understand about not putting too much stock into the lower level's records; but like you, I am very encouraged. Last year's Freshman won two games, I believe? They are now 5 - 1, against some very competitive programs. Yes, other team's Sophomores are probably playing at the varsity level, but I will take a 5 - 1 record with some good wins.

If Jake Zylman was the best QB as a junior last year, then that's the way it should be. I just hope his experiences will prep him for the upcoming playoffs; he led them last year to the playoffs as well.

I also believe some players are playing both ways, just like other successful programs do. You believe that is happening? Didn't RB Childress get a huge sack in the Laurence game?

Jake did a tremendous job last year starting on the varsity with a new offense that he did not run at the lower levels. He's a leader.

Childers is a very good all round athlete on the Tommy Mister scale. While he is the number one running back this year be has had several games were he has shown great abilities at WR. He had a big strip in the STL game. Last year in the latter part of the year and in the playoff game at Rockford he played some OLB and rushed the QB. This year he has done that throughout the season with great success. He needs to be on the field as many plays as he can physically stand up to.

As far as the freshmen go I would rather be 6-3 or 7-2 with what they are doing this year than 9-0 or 8-1 the old way. The kids will be better prepared to the varsity. This offense puts a lot of pressure on the QB to make quick decisions. An extra year has to help the learning curve.

Whitney Young, Walter Payton, Jones and several other options for exemplary CPS schools ... then, there's the suburban schools ... Shepard, Stagg, Sandburg, all twelve Lincoln Ways and many others that have won awards for excellence. Outstanding school choice is alive and well in what is known as the Southland.

Plus, there's nutrition.

Reactions: PRokie
Whitney Young, Walter Payton, Jones and several other options for exemplary CPS schools ... then, there's the suburban schools ... Shepard, Stagg, Sandburg, all twelve Lincoln Ways and many others that have won awards for excellence. Outstanding school choice is alive and well in what is known as the Southland.

Plus, there's nutrition.
Sorry, but the post is about athletics. The cps schools I don't believe are drawing athletes if we want to be honest. A brain drain for sure. Thr Lincoln Way schools; if you're from New Lenox, Frankfort or those part of the woods, fine. I thought we were talking St.Rita,,MC and BR as stated above. Regarding nutrition, I don't know what you mean. You have a nutritionist at the schools? I think that's a good thing - helps all the athletic programs, not just football. Again, I respect the schools on the south side. I am trying to clear up the misconceptions you may have about LA.

Reactions: NNFAN
Love the Dwyers! Mr. Dwyer was one of our freshman coaches. Great people!

Plus, there's nutrition.
Payton (near north side), Young (north of the Eisenhower), and Jones (in the loop) are NOT in the "southland" ... and I was not aware that kids on the south side of Chicago can attend school in Orland Park, New Lenox, and Frankfort. Yeah... the south side public schools stack up well against the Wilmette and Winnetka area schools. I hear families are moving in from all over the country because of the outstanding public schools in south Chicago. OMG... and the "nutrition" there is also kick ass!

Last edited:
I have a different view........these days. With the rise of the crazy parents and my kid is going to the pros - i think it works in the reverse for some schools. Since football is the last bastion ( and maybe soon that to will be gone ....thank you IMG) where the actual best players still play for their high school team , not a club or private team in the off season where the real recruiting gets done........for those crazy parents they seek out schools (private and public) that have the capability to provide the exposure and publicity that their special children so richly deserve. Those schools don't have to recruit anybody the kids are sent to those schools for that exposure and that specific purpose by mom and dad. The tail is now wagging the dog?

and maybe I am wrong and now all the exposure is at the camps and nobody cares about the actual games....???

Jake did a tremendous job last year starting on the varsity with a new offense that he did not run at the lower levels. He's a leader.

Childers is a very good all round athlete on the Tommy Mister scale. While he is the number one running back this year be has had several games were he has shown great abilities at WR. He had a big strip in the STL game. Last year in the latter part of the year and in the playoff game at Rockford he played some OLB and rushed the QB. This year he has done that throughout the season with great success. He needs to be on the field as many plays as he can physically stand up to.

As far as the freshmen go I would rather be 6-3 or 7-2 with what they are doing this year than 9-0 or 8-1 the old way. The kids will be better prepared to the varsity. This offense puts a lot of pressure on the QB to make quick decisions. An extra year has to help the learning curve.

I know its hard to judge since they are 14&15 year old boys, but any SR kids on the frosh or soph levels look like potential impact varsity players next year?

and maybe I am wrong and now all the exposure is at the camps and nobody cares about the actual games....???

Colleges don't care about camps unless they are their own. They don't look at 7 on 7 games. It is about their own one day camps and game film.

Colleges don't care about camps unless they are their own. They don't look at 7 on 7 games. It is about their own one day camps and game film.
It starts with body type, into what that body type can do (metrics), and then to the type of football positional talent the body type and metrics' possess. This creates lists. Colleges don't care about camps but they are working off lists, they aren't wasting resources finding needles in haystacks. Like it or not, they are working off lists created by people surrounding those camps and/or invite only events.

I know its hard to judge since they are 14&15 year old boys, but any SR kids on the frosh or soph levels look like potential impact varsity players next year?

Fr. a couple DL, a WR.
QB, RB, LB could go too talent wise too but prob better getting reps together as sophs

So. OLB, and a couple O-Linemen.

Both levels have speed and skill positions are good. Prob a side effect of their varsity spread, hurry up offense

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT