ADVERTISEMENT

SouthWest Prairie 2024

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
Now that the season is over, let's discuss.

Whos the frontrunner in the West: Oswego, Plainfield N, Minooka?

Does Joliet West build on their breakthrough season?

Can Plainfield East take the next step?

I'm trying to get a hold of this SPC thing. Is there anything I need to know like places with regular tremendous home cooking? Concession stands to check out?

Before you get to next year's football conference/season, enjoy the beginning of the Davion Thompson era in hoops. I've seen some highlights of him. Impressive and already 6'3.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Before you get to next year's football conference/season, enjoy the beginning of the Davion Thompson era in hoops. I've seen some highlights of him. Impressive and already 6'3.
Peej, I've been in basketball season since week 5. Watched the kid over the summer and I am extremely excited about basketball season, both boys and girls. We may have the top player in the state for boys ('27) and girls ('26) from what I understand. Although the kid from Warren is probably #1.

They'll all end up at Whitney Young 🤣

I'm trying to get a hold of this SPC thing. Is there anything I need to know like places with regular tremendous home cooking? Concession stands to check out?
Have you heard if the Brook will be in the East or the West? Geographically they should be in the East, but will they just replace West Aurora in the SPC West?

Have you heard if the Brook will be in the East or the West? Geographically they should be in the East, but will they just replace West Aurora in the SPC West?
From what I heard they're just replacing West Aurora with us, but after this year they may want to do the right thing and put us in the East.

Reactions: JAYC14
From what I heard they're just replacing West Aurora with us, but after this year they may want to do the right thing and put us in the East.
Would really like to see this conference alter their division landscape. The good/bad division split is fine I suppose. But now a program like Joliet West who may want to take a leap and compete in the playoffs has essentially played nobody for the last 5 weeks of the season. It helped them get to the playoffs, but won't help at all beyond that.

Why not 3 different pods of 4?

Romeoville, Joliet Central, Plainfield Central, Plainfield East
Yorkville, Oswego, Oswego East, Joliet West
Minooka, Plainfield North, Plainfield South, Bolingbrook

The four less competitive teams can still get three games against similar competition. And everyone can play 3 games in their pod, and 4 crossovers (2 against teams from one pod and 2 against teams from the other remaining pod).

I know this gets rid of the automatic qualifier. But that would likely only apply to the less competitive pod. And if that pods champion won 3 games against their pod and couldn't steal 2 more against the other pod or against a weak nonconference slate, then does it really matter if they make the playoffs? In that scenario, they wouldn't have been good enough to win a 6 team division with Joliet West or Plainfield South in it anyway.

Reactions: JAYC14
Would really like to see this conference alter their division landscape. The good/bad division split is fine I suppose. But now a program like Joliet West who may want to take a leap and compete in the playoffs has essentially played nobody for the last 5 weeks of the season. It helped them get to the playoffs, but won't help at all beyond that.

Why not 3 different pods of 4?

Romeoville, Joliet Central, Plainfield Central, Plainfield East
Yorkville, Oswego, Oswego East, Joliet West
Minooka, Plainfield North, Plainfield South, Bolingbrook

The four less competitive teams can still get three games against similar competition. And everyone can play 3 games in their pod, and 4 crossovers (2 against teams from one pod and 2 against teams from the other remaining pod).

I know this gets rid of the automatic qualifier. But that would likely only apply to the less competitive pod. And if that pods champion won 3 games against their pod and couldn't steal 2 more against the other pod or against a weak nonconference slate, then does it really matter if they make the playoffs? In that scenario, they wouldn't have been good enough to win a 6 team division with Joliet West or Plainfield South in it anyway.
Don't know I'm a newcomer. Personally I don't like the 4 team conference set up because it essentially becomes the same thing as a 6 with the crossovers and then it doesn't really make a difference.

If I were to make a change I would put Joliet West in the West or Plainfield E, and move The Beloved to the East. I'm a fan of geography.

As far as frontrunners, I think the 3 you mentioned will likely be in the mix every year. The Oswego '25 class is really strong.

I've been waiting for JW to break through for about 3 years now, glad to see it happened. I think PE will be a mid-level SWSP team year in and year out.

Oswego usually has a really good Taco Truck on site, but the lines are long. As for all the other's, I've never really seen anything out of the ordinary at the concession stands.

Downtown Plainfield is nice for Plainfield Central games, Roadhouse 71 before Oswego games, Mike and Denises before Yorkville games and Spartan House before West Aurora games.

As far as frontrunners, I think the 3 you mentioned will likely be in the mix every year. The Oswego '25 class is really strong.

I've been waiting for JW to break through for about 3 years now, glad to see it happened. I think PE will be a mid-level SWSP team year in and year out.

Oswego usually has a really good Taco Truck on site, but the lines are long. As for all the other's, I've never really seen anything out of the ordinary at the concession stands.

Downtown Plainfield is nice for Plainfield Central games, Roadhouse 71 before Oswego games, Mike and Denises before Yorkville games and Spartan House before West Aurora games.
I'm def familiar with DT Plainfield. Some nice eats in the area.

What about home cooking? For example as much as we are penalized on a regular day, I notice it's always much worse at Sandburg. Any places like that?

There's no automatic bid to the IHSA FB postseason in a conference with less than 6 teams.

There's no automatic bid to the IHSA FB postseason in a conference with less than 6 teams.
Correct. I acknowledged that. I mentioned that the bottom tier might be impacted by that because they may only win 3-4 games and win that small pod. But I really don't think that's a big deal because if Plainfield East only wins 3 or 4 games because they only beat the other real bad teams and can't win a single crossover or nonconference game, it really doesn't matter if they miss the playoffs because they would not have won the league had it been a 6 team division. And the winners of the two better pods would be almost assured of finding 5 wins.

This conference is just so weird in that it has so many tiers. Joliet Central and Romeoville are years away from relevance. Plainfield East and Central seem to have a pretty low ceiling.

Then Plainfield South and Oswego East seem like they should be capable of a lot, but never seem to get any traction. Joliet West seems to have done well this year, but really played a soft schedule and is traditionally mediocre to poor.

That leaves Yorkville, Plainfield North, Minooka, and Oswego should be able to be competitive along with the new addition of the Brook.

But schools like Joliet West, Plainfield East, and Plainfield Central are maybe being assisted by being in the bad division and getting to beat up on Joliet Central and Romeoville to springboard them to 2 wins and then beat each other to maybe achieve a 5 win playoff qualifying. But if you reach where Joliet West is now or perhaps where Plainfield Central was a few years ago and wanting to win a couple playoff games, and that hand holding by being in the bad 6 makes it really hard to make that leap.

Reactions: missingwalter

Whos the frontrunner in the West: Oswego, Plainfield N, Minooka?  Minooka

Does Joliet West build on their breakthrough season? ABSOLUTELY! Kids have bought into Coach Dan Tito.

Can Plainfield East take the next step? I think so, good coaching staff.

I'm trying to get a hold of this SPC thing. Is there anything I need to know like places with regular tremendous home cooking? Concession stands to check out? Maurie's Table for pizza near Joliet West. Elder Brewing Company is a stone's throw from Joliet Central.

Reactions: Cross Bones
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT