ADVERTISEMENT

South Elgin?!?!?

Haven’t seem em play but they’ve been beating up on everybody they play based on the scores I’ve seen. I know theres questions towards SE’s schedule and quality of conference but seems like this team is more underrated than overrated in my opinion.

Haven’t seem em play but they’ve been beating up on everybody they play based on the scores I’ve seen. I know theres questions towards SE’s schedule and quality of conference but seems like this team is more underrated than overrated in my opinion.
That's such a weird conference. The top tier pounds the middle tier teams and those middle tier teams destroy the lower level teams. Look what happened to WA when they left and most here feel the SPC is average at best as well.

That's such a weird conference. The top tier pounds the middle tier teams and those middle tier teams destroy the lower level teams. Look what happened to WA when they left and most here feel the SPC is average at best as well.

Not familiar with WA (believe that is wheaton academy?) so im ignorant there.

I’ve been following Upstate Eight conf from afar last few seasons, very little tape mostly just reading the scores and daily herald articles, but agree it’s a wierd conf.. some of the bottom teams really struggle, and the top teams haven’t done a ton in the playoffs. Still teams and programs can get better, we’ll see if South Elgin takes a step, sounds like most think no lol.

Upstate Eights other top teams (who SE blew out) Glenbard South and Glenbard East, both 6-1, play each other tomorrow night in Lombard for 2nd place. Should be fun.

Not familiar with WA (believe that is wheaton academy?) so im ignorant there.

I’ve been following Upstate Eight conf from afar last few seasons, very little tape mostly just reading the scores and daily herald articles, but agree it’s a wierd conf.. some of the bottom teams really struggle, and the top teams haven’t done a ton in the playoffs. Still teams and programs can get better, we’ll see if South Elgin takes a step, sounds like most think no lol.

Upstate Eights other top teams (who SE blew out) Glenbard South and Glenbard East, both 6-1, play each other tomorrow night in Lombard for 2nd place. Should be fun.
I was referring to West Aurora, who before coming to the SPC were 9-0 a few times in the UEC.

Reactions: stl705
If they draw one of the 3-4 teams they can beat in the field.
They can definitely beat more teams than that. They could get a bad draw, but it looks like they are going to be 2 seed (they aren't losing in conference). i wouldn't be surprised if they play a conference team.

they can score points on anyone. question is can they stop a sophisicated offense. Id say they are big dogs to 5 or 6 playoffs teams. A toss up game against 8 or 9 and should beat the rest. Like other posters say, it depends on the draw.

There’s no way they win more then 1 game and I’d bet they won’t win 1 depending on the draw. They play a team from a decent conference and it’s game over.

South Elgin is the Rodney Dangerfield of IHSA football
Respect is earned no? Have they ever made it out of the 2nd round? Not trying to be harsh but that conference stinks on ice.

Reactions: Panthers1211
they can score points on anyone. question is can they stop a sophisicated offense. Id say they are big dogs to 5 or 6 playoffs teams. A toss up game against 8 or 9 and should beat the rest. Like other posters say, it depends on the draw.
Don't tell Micah Jones they can score points on Warren!

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
Just to clarify. West Aurora was a member of the Upstate 8 from its inception until 1997 when they moved to the DVC. Their best U-8 record was 8-1 in both 1983 and 1984.

In 2014, they returned to the Upstate 8. Their only 9-0 record was in 20016; in 2018 they were 8-1.

Historically, teams from the Upstate 8 have not fared well in the playoffs. Bartlett and Lake Park reached the semi-finals at least once. St Charles North is the only conference member to appear in a championship game. Only time will tell whether South Elgin can best these results.

Reactions: missingwalter
Just to clarify. West Aurora was a member of the Upstate 8 from its inception until 1997 when they moved to the DVC. Their best U-8 record was 8-1 in both 1983 and 1984.

In 2014, they returned to the Upstate 8. Their only 9-0 record was in 20016; in 2018 they were 8-1.

Historically, teams from the Upstate 8 have not fared well in the playoffs. Bartlett and Lake Park reached the semi-finals at least once. St Charles North is the only conference member to appear in a championship game. Only time will tell whether South Elgin can best these results.
Well aware, from Aurora and played in the UEC in the 80's. I did think they had another 9-0, but that must have been 2018 I was thinking of.

Well aware, from Aurora and played in the UEC in the 80's. I did think they had another 9-0, but that must have been 2018 I was thinking of.
If that's the case, then I was coaching against you on the Lake Park sidelines. Did you play before or after John Wrenn?

Pretty sure Batavia won 2 state championships (2013 and 2017) while they were a member of the Upstate 8.

Reactions: Fisk72

Incorrect. they were 9-0 in 1936, 1946, and 1949. How soon we forget! 🙃

Pretty sure Batavia won 2 state championships (2013 and 2017) while they were a member of the Upstate 8.
Wasn't Geneva also in the upstate 8 when they played in the finals against East St Louis or was that before?

You are absolutely right! No disrespect to Batavia was meant. I tend to remember the "old" Upstate 8 since Geneva and Batavia joined at about the time I was finishing my coaching career at LP. I never coached a game against either of those programs while I coached many against the Aurora's, Elgin's, and Chuck's. And DeKalb!

Last edited:
Wasn't Geneva also in the upstate 8 when they played in the finals against East St Louis or was that before?
That was before in 2008 when they were in the Western Sun Conference. Batavia finished in 2nd in 2006 in the WSC.

Reactions: Fisk72
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT