ADVERTISEMENT

South Elgin 7 BR 25 4th

I’ll take 5-4 every year if they’re playing their best ball and healthy in November. Competing for a state title is the goal. 9-0/8-1 doesn’t guarantee an easy path. Win at least 5 and hope you’re healthy and peaking (or continue dominance in some teams’ cases) in November.

I remember way back in 2018 when Loyola and Joliet Catholic went 5-4 and then...

BR achieved their first 9-0 in school history last year. Pretty cool. But after the state title loss, it really settled in for me (as a fan) that winning it all has to be the main goal. Fairly certain it is for Loyola, Mount Carmel and Nazareth. And Marist has been there twice in recent history, too, so I’d guess it is for them.

Even after BR’s 5 wins, I never left the game feeling all that optimistic. They were missing something on both sides of the ball and wasn’t sure if it would click for them.

Regardless of their 8A opponents, they still changed and executed their offensive strategy after week 9 and their defense shutdown both offenses. No apologies for winning 8A playoff games by 3 scores.

I’ll take health, peak performance and, sure, luck of the draw in November over an impressive SEP/OCT.

Now on to being a huge underdog against the #1 seed...
Right about everything but LA went 6-3 last year.

Reactions: crusaderpride
I could be wrong and only time will tell but I think be is where they are at because of the playoff draw not because they are all of a sudden clicking. As far as the goal winning state your not being realistic because be has done that once in 40 years . I wouldn't go comparing yourself to loyola mc or Nazareth br is not in there class as far as being an elite program

Anytime you post in a BR thread I expect a ton of optimism.

No one ever said that rice is MC or NAZ. Not even close. But competing for a state championship every season is realistic.

they received a good draw but are also playing better and finally have all their players healthy.

They got bit by the injury bug last year at the worst possible time. Im sure that made you happy. Seeing rice lose.

I could be wrong and only time will tell but I think be is where they are at because of the playoff draw not because they are all of a sudden clicking. As far as the goal winning state your not being realistic because be has done that once in 40 years . I wouldn't go comparing yourself to loyola mc or Nazareth br is not in there class as far as being an elite program

You get an F for comprehension.

Anytime you post in a BR thread I expect a ton of optimism.

No one ever said that rice is MC or NAZ. Not even close. But competing for a state championship every season is realistic.

they received a good draw but are also playing better and finally have all their players healthy.

They got bit by the injury bug last year at the worst possible time. Im sure that made you happy. Seeing rice lose.
I didnt have a dog in the fight it was a win win because a ccl team was winning either way. I must have taken what you said wrong because how I read it you were clearly comparing rice to mc naz and loyola.

I didnt have a dog in the fight it was a win win because a ccl team was winning either way. I must have taken what you said wrong because how I read it you were clearly comparing rice to mc naz and loyola.
The only comparison I saw in @3OrangeWhips post was him saying, like Naz, MC, and LA, BR’s goal is to win state. Which goes for any decent program. Rice is not some tomato can program.

The only comparison I saw in @3OrangeWhips post was him saying, like Naz, MC, and LA, BR’s goal is to win state. Which goes for any decent program. Rice is not some tomato can program.
I never said they were. They are a good program not elite. I would not consider them a state champ contender year in and out. They have got passed the quarter finals twice in the last 30 years. Good luck I hope they beat minooka. I have nothing against rice I just think their fans think they are a more elite program then they are.

I never said they were. They are a good program not elite. I would not consider them a state champ contender year in and out. They have got passed the quarter finals twice in the last 30 years. Good luck I hope they beat minooka. I have nothing against rice I just think their fans think they are a more elite program then they are.

We just became the de facto Upstate 8 conference champs. We’re elite. And elitists.

Anyone who picks Brother Rice in a blowout will have it's posting privileges revoked for the week....
Edgy, it's very hard to measure your level of Sarcasm when you are definitely the one who can make that happen. :)

This point gets belabored all of the time and while I am not a Rice fan I will defend them in this argument.

To use post season success to compare teams is not necessarily the right approach. If Rice or Marist was in any other class they go deeper annually in the playoffs and may have a couple of titles. Rita has a shot in 5A this year does that make them much better than ND who lost in round 2. Rita's football program the last 20 years is no better than Rice, nor is a Montini or Providence. Comparable to the ESCC where Marist has success but their post season is not annually as long a run as NAZ or JCA.

Reactions: Queen4
This point gets belabored all of the time and while I am not a Rice fan I will defend them in this argument.

To use post season success to compare teams is not necessarily the right approach. If Rice or Marist was in any other class they go deeper annually in the playoffs and may have a couple of titles. Rita has a shot in 5A this year does that make them much better than ND who lost in round 2. Rita's football program the last 20 years is no better than Rice, nor is a Montini or Providence. Comparable to the ESCC where Marist has success but their post season is not annually as long a run as NAZ or JCA.
You could say last 5 years maybe but not 20 years, Rita has 1 trophy, Providence think 4 and Montini a few since 2000.

You could say last 5 years maybe but not 20 years, Rita has 1 trophy, Providence think 4 and Montini a few since 2000.

My point is that you cannot look at post season success. I would look at head-to-head CCL records. MC and Loyola have a better winning percentage v Rice but I am not certain Rita and Providence do.

Even in other classes rice has at most one state title over that same time period. There losses in 15, and 16 were not to some 8a juggernaut. But last year I think the only 2 teams the could have beat rice were in 8a. Lwe and loyola

Last edited:
My point is that you cannot look at post season success. I would look at head-to-head CCL records. MC and Loyola have a better winning percentage v Rice but I am not certain Rita and Providence do.
I'd say Rita, Prov get the nod. Head to head is close enough, all win some playoff games but only Rice has no trophy in that span.
While every team works to go to the championship realistically maybe maybe 8 teams in each class have a legit shot each year.
Many teams can have a successful season without a trophy. Depends on the team, draw, injuries, etc.
Everyone has different definitions. Winning the blue but lost in 1st rd is success to some. 5-4 and losing in quarters could be success to others.
14-0 solves everything, other than that all up for debate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT