ADVERTISEMENT

So who are the preseason favorites teams for 2016?

For the third year in a row, I think it'll come down to Barrington vs Palatine again.
;
I don't think Fremd will compete, the scuttlebutt around town is that the players don't want to play for the coach, that's why numbers dropped from ~75 players in 2014 to 43 last season and why when a few key guys got injured their season collapsed late. Their last win and only conference win was against Palatine (grrr..) ..Problem is that game is never really representative of the teams due to the incredibly heightened emotion around the rivalry. In reality, for Palatine last year that game focused them; common mantra during the Barrington/Conant/playoff games was "that's who we are" resolving to prove the Fremd game was just a bad night. (PS.. Dean ...PHS/FHS game will be at PHS this year)

Barrington had a QB on the sophomore squad last year who'll you'll probably be hearing alot about by mid-season. In the same mold as Johnny Davidson and Zach Oles; really good read option QB who can throw and is lightning fast. I'm predicting he'll be what Johnny Davidson was in 2014 and Zach Oles in 2015..the next great QB in the conference. Same way they didn't have a drop off after graduation losses in 2014/15, they won't this coming season.

Conant will drop down, probably to the bottom of the conference. Last couple of sophomore squads got beat down pretty well by the rest of the conference(especially the upcoming seniors).

The wildcards are Schaumburg and Hoffman Estates. Schaumburg seems like they should be good, but I don't think to the level of Barrington/Palatine. Hoffman Estates has had all their sophs up with the varsity the last two years, so it's hard to see what coming. That said, it seemed Donitucci had them finally believing the could win last year, and they were very competitive in every conference game except the first one against Palatine(PHS led 35-7 one minute into 2nd half and played scrubs alot of the 2nd half); but that was before they started believing they could win.

As a huge PHS fan, obviously I think it will be an exciting year ahead.

Don't sleep on the Saxons....

In 4A, Phillips claims to not have a lot coming back, Rochester should be back in the title game, not sure on Althoff's returning players. Johnsburg has a stud all-state RB coming back. Geneseo will be Geneseo. Manteno, Plano, Coal City and Herscher should be good out of the I-8. Marengo lost a lot of seniors but still has a stud RB to build on. Breese Mater Dei should be able to sling the ball around quite a bit. Richmond-Burton and Pontiac should be really good as well.

Reactions: TyC84
Althoff does have some kids back including a little stud at running back and a very nice backer. Geneseo is always good. I have no idea what Phillips brings back, but as long as they can have kids from all over Chicago (and the surrounding area) transfer in look out. Not sure why a school like that with no really school boundary gets to play without the multiplier? In the Sports Illustrated article/video it even showed players living in coaches houses and riding trains and buses for an hour to get to school? I would like to see what happens when a school outside the CPL tries to do that. Seems like their advantage is a much better deal than what the privates schools have to deal with.

Althoff does have some kids back including a little stud at running back and a very nice backer. Geneseo is always good. I have no idea what Phillips brings back, but as long as they can have kids from all over Chicago (and the surrounding area) transfer in look out. Not sure why a school like that with no really school boundary gets to play without the multiplier? In the Sports Illustrated article/video it even showed players living in coaches houses and riding trains and buses for an hour to get to school? I would like to see what happens when a school outside the CPL tries to do that. Seems like their advantage is a much better deal than what the privates schools have to deal with.
Its better coaching.

Its better coaching.

If that is the case, then they were much more talented than Rochester in 2014, and Rochester stuck them! I wonder what Derek Leonard would do if any kid who lived within a 60 minute bus ride was free to go play for him? Now parents have to buy a home in that district and that housing market is pricey! Not saying that Phillips isn't well coached. Happy for those kids and the success they have had, but is seems they have their own rules???

Althoff does have some kids back including a little stud at running back and a very nice backer. Geneseo is always good. I have no idea what Phillips brings back, but as long as they can have kids from all over Chicago (and the surrounding area) transfer in look out. Not sure why a school like that with no really school boundary gets to play without the multiplier? In the Sports Illustrated article/video it even showed players living in coaches houses and riding trains and buses for an hour to get to school? I would like to see what happens when a school outside the CPL tries to do that. Seems like their advantage is a much better deal than what the privates schools have to deal with.[

All.... Why so concerned? You are already on record that Rochester is going to win 28 in a row.... Ratsy

If that is the case, then they were much more talented than Rochester in 2014, and Rochester stuck them! I wonder what Derek Leonard would do if any kid who lived within a 60 minute bus ride was free to go play for him? Now parents have to buy a home in that district and that housing market is pricey! Not saying that Phillips isn't well coached. Happy for those kids and the success they have had, but is seems they have their own rules???
Who said they were much more talented in 2014?

Well anyone at the game should have seen that. Anyone who watched the game on TV should have seen it as well. Of Rochester's 5 titles, the only weaker team than 2014 was 2011 (who could have gone 4-5 and missed the playoffs). Rochester had some nice players, but they won the 2014 game because of experience, execution and an overall (offensive and defensive) better game plan. If Leonard had the size, speed and talent Phillips has, he would never lose a game.

All.... I guess I must ask once again about your narrative on Phillips. What's the concern? You are on record that the Rockets are going to win the next 28 games.... Ratsy

I have no dog in this fight. Next season the Rochester team will have a great QB, and some very, very good WR's. The defense will be much improved and I believe they have a nice shot at winning 28 games in a row....maybe more? SHG and Phillips will clearly have something to say about that? I just think the CPL gets a very unfair advantage....until Phillips, it was never a question because no CPL school had figured out how to take advantage of the system. Rochester, Glenwood, Jacksonville, Pontiac, Geneseo, Metamora ....ect..... have s school boundary and students must live in the boundary to play at those schools. Bishop McNamara, SHG, Montini, JCA, Nazarath....all have no boundary so kids have to live within 30 miles of that school and the IHSA slaps a multiplier on them. If they win anyway, now we have a success factor. Public schools have no multiplier or success factor. So....what is the Phillips deal? No multiplier? no success factor? are they governed by a political school boundary? Players can live with coaches? a 60 minute train ride is still inside their boundary? Players can switch schools without parents moving into a district? How is this a level playing field?

All.... Oh my do you hear those screams and clicks (computers being turned off) because this never ending subject is rearing up once again in this subject thread. And has been covered by many for a long time. Your indignation is amusing.

Conrady, the Lett(s) (can't forget sis), the Cox twins and who knows else. The avenue of their arrival while more expensive is the same.... Rocket fans are amusing when I hear them talking about homegrown. Sigh.... Ratsy

Last edited:
These are not home grown examples at all. These are all families who paid the price for their kids to play in a better program and attend a better school. Look up what they paid for these homes. But if this was the CPL, no homes have to be bought at all. If you are tired of reading it, fine, don't read it. If you think this system is fair, then please explain why.

All.... Finally! Someone from a public school perspective understands and readily admits that this goes on for ATHLETIC reasons at public schools. And Rochester H.S. has (and will) surely benefit from it. Ratsy

Well anyone at the game should have seen that. Anyone who watched the game on TV should have seen it as well. Of Rochester's 5 titles, the only weaker team than 2014 was 2011 (who could have gone 4-5 and missed the playoffs). Rochester had some nice players, but they won the 2014 game because of experience, execution and an overall (offensive and defensive) better game plan. If Leonard had the size, speed and talent Phillips has, he would never lose a game.
I saw the game and i saw a more talented Rochester team blow Phillips off the field, then i saw Phillips coaching staff make adjustments this year

If Rochester was so much more talented, why didn't the college recruiters come calling? Where are all the videos on this site of those kids signing with D1 schools? One at Western Il, One at ISU, one at Ball State....none of them on full rides? Phillips had several guys on offense that could have scored anytime they got the ball, they had d-linemen and linebackers that were killing people. Phillips struggles because of the paces of the game and their lack of ability to make adjustments on the fly. Pure talent, it was never even close

I saw the game and i saw a more talented Rochester team blow Phillips off the field, then i saw Phillips coaching staff make adjustments this year
I can agree with this, and they brought in new and better players. One who went D1 I believe

If Rochester was so much more talented, why didn't the college recruiters come calling? Where are all the videos on this site of those kids signing with D1 schools? One at Western Il, One at ISU, one at Ball State....none of them on full rides? Phillips had several guys on offense that could have scored anytime they got the ball, they had d-linemen and linebackers that were killing people. Phillips struggles because of the paces of the game and their lack of ability to make adjustments on the fly. Pure talent, it was never even close
Didn't Rochester have a tall receiver and a good QB?

I will also add that scholarships are not an indicator of good or great football players. There are a lot of great high school football players that end their career in high school. Once you sign a bunch of kids you will start to understand the process.

A Rochester fan complaining about another school getting move ins and transfer? Priceless...

Reactions: biglatte
HS football talent =/= D1 offers. Even if it did, a few players with offers doesnt equate to being more talented across the board. Rochester was more talented and it showed on the field.

images

A guy begging for money talking about making a way through life, this is real rich.

Have some self respect

In 4A, Phillips claims to not have a lot coming back, Rochester should be back in the title game, not sure on Althoff's returning players. Johnsburg has a stud all-state RB coming back. Geneseo will be Geneseo. Manteno, Plano, Coal City and Herscher should be good out of the I-8. Marengo lost a lot of seniors but still has a stud RB to build on. Breese Mater Dei should be able to sling the ball around quite a bit. Richmond-Burton and Pontiac should be really good as well.

HUH? Who claims not to have a lot coming back next year? All they have coming back next year is one of the top 2 DL's in the state, one of the top 2 LB's in the the state and one of the top 2 RB's in the state.Elmore, Fox and Mosby(sp?) All 3 of these guys guys could be 4 stars. They also have many large linemen on both sides and some promising receivers from their frosh soph. They are also going to have a real QB next year instead of using a receiver at QB and he could be one of the best QB's in his class in the state.This looks like it could be their best team ever and should again dominate in 4A and could be as good as any team in any class.

HUH? Who claims not to have a lot coming back next year? All they have coming back next year is one of the top 2 DL's in the state, one of the top 2 LB's in the the state and one of the top 2 RB's in the state.Elmore, Fox and Mosby(sp?) All 3 of these guys guys could be 4 stars. They also have many large linemen on both sides and some promising receivers from their frosh soph. They are also going to have a real QB next year instead of using a receiver at QB and he could be one of the best QB's in his class in the state.This looks like it could be their best team ever and should again dominate in 4A and could be as good as any team in any class.
Holy hyperbole batman

I guess that their coaches are sandbagging. Are they going to petition up to 8A or stay in 4A?

Mike Kennedy, Mt. Carmel RB.
Are u thinking the backfield is Kennedy and Saunoris/Davis? Thomas at QB. OL will have Brown at LT should be a beast. Gill back at RG. LG probly Johnson and C Antonietti. RT is open-Myrick started vs Rita in prep bowl playoffs there so he could be there. TE I have no clue.

I guess that their coaches are sandbagging. Are they going to petition up to 8A or stay in 4A?
I can't believe their coaches said that. It could of been in reference to the 3 big stars they lose this year.. But I heard and read the opposite so I guess it's what you read and who you know and the context.

Are u thinking the backfield is Kennedy and Saunoris/Davis? Thomas at QB. OL will have Brown at LT should be a beast. Gill back at RG. LG probly Johnson and C Antonietti. RT is open-Myrick started vs Rita in prep bowl playoffs there so he could be there. TE I have no clue.
I'm not sure about TE and WR either, unless Billingsley gets the nod as a Soph. I saw this team play as Fresh and with Kennedy and Moriarity they didn't need to throw much. I hope Moriaritys knee can be 100%, he's a tough kid and strong runner....maybe they can use him at LB....Defense really concerns me for 2016...they lost a ton of starters...Guerra, O'Shea, Sanfold, Mudd and for the first time in I don't know how long, there won't be a Greer at MC! The D-Line had players with a lot of playing time, but the LB and DB will be a concern outside of Griffith.

Entire front 7 gone-just Cousart the hybrid back. Juniors to be I like Cooper and Taylor and Styka was up as soph

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT