ADVERTISEMENT

So who are the preseason favorites teams for 2016?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Not sure we've seen a ton on this so far?

Who should be the preseason 2016 favorites to win a state title?

Post em let's get this going!

I would be shocked if Rochester didn't win 4A in 2016 and 2017

Baker at QB will be so fun, plus all those D1 WR's ....O-line has 4 starters back, backers and secondary could be their best ever! I think a 28-0 run is possible

Reactions: Football fan 22
How about Crete-Monee in 6A as a contender? Richards back in the mix again in 6A also?

Everyone is sick of hearing it but GW has a ton of returners not named Brodner and as long as Hetlett stays in town, I would expect them to be a factor in 7A or 8A.

I would expect to see Cary Grove in the 6A/7A mix as well as the reconfigured and more potent LW teams.

Gotta figure Rockford Auburn will be a force with that immense Oline and skill guys coming back.

Reactions: Bowie50
How about Crete-Monee in 6A as a contender? Richards back in the mix again in 6A also?
I would put Prairie Ridge as an early favorite. MCHS has a nice group coming back might be tough to match last years speed and depth on the defensive side. Blake was a game changer but a rising junior QB got some good reps will bring a different look.

Everyone is sick of hearing it but GW has a ton of returners not named Brodner and as long as Hetlett stays in town, I would expect them to be a factor in 7A or 8A.

I would expect to see Cary Grove in the 6A/7A mix as well as the reconfigured and more potent LW teams.

Gotta figure Rockford Auburn will be a force with that immense Oline and skill guys coming back.
Auburn has Lowe and Hanna back on the lines, QB is back who made some strides. Lose Parchman and Lambert which will hurt. Depth has always been an issue, don't have great #'s out. Appino, similiar to Hetllet, is building a good program and will get that thing rolling. Should be the top team out of Rockford next year as well.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Look out for Prairie Ridge in 6A. They are going to be a beastly team to deal with this fall.

I would be shocked if Rochester didn't win 4A in 2016 and 2017

Baker at QB will be so fun, plus all those D1 WR's ....O-line has 4 starters back, backers and secondary could be their best ever! I think a 28-0 run is possible

All.... Wrapped up, signed, sealed, and delivered as they say.... I might as well e-mail Coach Leonard (elder) and let him know the Cyclones should save their time and just forfeit those two games in the upcoming seasons. Ratsy

Reactions: Football fan 22
There is a lot of optimism around Fenwick right now. The coaches and team think that they are going to be very good but you didn't hear that from me! I'd prefer we fly under the radar. I believe there are 19 starters back and some very talented kids. As the team and coaches continue to gel I expect this to be the new high point of the Nudo era. Defense has the talent and now has the coordinator to take advantage of it.

Nazareth may come back down to earth this year. Like last year they have to overcome a lot of losses via graduation but unlike last year they don't seem to have the talent ready to step in and replace the outgoing kids. Losing sportsmom/dad/uncle/confirmation sponsor's kid will hurt Naz tremendously as the torch was seemingly getting passed down to him this year. The grass is greener at Oswego East and I'm told sportsconfirmation sponsor will have sole responsibility for designing the OE gameplan.

Optimism is also high at LT and the reason is the maturation process of a to be JR QB that from all accounts will be very good for the Lions. Like every year I see a team that has talent but a program who has way too many talented athletes roaming the hallways and not on the field. Until their HC proves me wrong I will assume they will waste more talent this year, solid offense/mediocre defense. 5-4 with a first round exit for their smug HC.

Reactions: ignazio

"Reconfigured" Lincolnways probably up one classification (or even 2 in the case of LWW). By the way, any word about reconfiguration of that conference down there?

There is a lot of optimism around Fenwick right now. The coaches and team think that they are going to be very good but you didn't hear that from me! I'd prefer we fly under the radar. I believe there are 19 starters back and some very talented kids. As the team and coaches continue to gel I expect this to be the new high point of the Nudo era. Defense has the talent and now has the coordinator to take advantage of it.

Nazareth may come back down to earth this year. Like last year they have to overcome a lot of losses via graduation but unlike last year they don't seem to have the talent ready to step in and replace the outgoing kids. Losing sportsmom/dad/uncle/confirmation sponsor's kid will hurt Naz tremendously as the torch was seemingly getting passed down to him this year. The grass is greener at Oswego East and I'm told sportsconfirmation sponsor will have sole responsibility for designing the OE gameplan.

Optimism is also high at LT and the reason is the maturation process of a to be JR QB that from all accounts will be very good for the Lions. Like every year I see a team that has talent but a program who has way too many talented athletes roaming the hallways and not on the field. Until their HC proves me wrong I will assume they will waste more talent this year, solid offense/mediocre defense. 5-4 with a first round exit for their smug HC.

Fenwick will be better but unless they have a dozen transfers coming in, 5-4 at best. Freshmen were average, sophs below average. Love coach Nudo, but montini is loaded in the green

Id say LA in 8A. 5-7A I am just not sure where teams are going to be like Naz, PC (who should be back) , Cary 6 or 7A, LWE 7 or 8A etc MC will be 7A favorite in '17 with a ton back like Brown on the OL, Thomas at QB, Griffith, the soph RB up this year etc. Probly 14 starters.

Montini and Loyola are the two sure-fire favorites in 6A/5A and 8A.

I'll say Nazareth might have their best defense ever, and are in the top 4 of 6A or 5A as a result. That said, 6A is loaded it seems.

Crete Monee and Prairie Ridge in 6A. The Warriors were young last year and will be very experienced after the State Championship. Prairie Ridge is the real thing! That quarterback is a game changer! Both teams will be very hungry to get to the State Finals this 2016 season. Montini Catholic will always be a contender.

8A don't sleep on HF! Ton of experience and athletes coming back. And lower levels are loaded.
7A Providence will be back! G.W. is always a force

Reactions: Slojoetsu
Fenwick will be better but unless they have a dozen transfers coming in, 5-4 at best. Freshmen were average, sophs below average. Love coach Nudo, but montini is loaded in the green

Sophs were above average. Only losses were to LWE, Loyola, and Montini. The majority of starters last year were juniors who had to step up because of injury.

Reactions: Matt_lawson10
St. Laurence returns 8 starters on offense and 5 on defense from last year's 5a state semifinal team that broke all school records and was among tops in state for offensive production. 4 of 5 starters on OL return along with RB Fayezon Smart. Lost a very good QB to graduation, but QB stepping up has big talent as well with strong experienced receivers. Lower levels loaded. 2017 team has potential to be even stronger than 2016 team. Predicting big things. Coach Blackmon's first recruiting class is the 2017 seniors.

St. Laurence returns 8 starters on offense and 5 on defense from last year's 5a state semifinal team that broke all school records and was among tops in state for offensive production. 4 of 5 starters on OL return along with RB Fayezon Smart. Lost a very good QB to graduation, but QB stepping up has big talent as well with strong experienced receivers. Lower levels loaded. 2017 team has potential to be even stronger than 2016 team. Predicting big things. Coach Blackmon's first recruiting class is the 2017 seniors.
Laurence will be 6A this year. If they were 5A woulda been the favorite

All... 8A give me LA & Rice with H-F and LWE being a threat
7A give me Montini GBW and MC
6A I'll say I Naz
5A JCA

Reactions: Slojoetsu
Rice probably has the toughest schedule in the state facing 4 teams that made it to the state final game last year. Also have a new QB.
That being said the lower levels have a ton of talent coming up. Wouldn't surprise if there are a few freshman contributing when state playoffs start.

The favorite? Naz embarrssed them last year.
Kelly martin transfer and Im assuming Naz is 6A . who knows not seeing Laurence doing it in 6A w Naz, Cary if there, Prairie Ridge , PC if there. much different then 5a.

Rice will be consensus 2nd pick in Blue behind LA. MC wins it again in '17 though.

LA is the favorite by far, not even close. They are reloading and the new QB is more of a threat then in previous years which adds a whole new dimension to their offense. I wouldnt look past PC either, they had a down year but return some studs. SR is in trouble again. LA wins the blue with a three team race for second, sounds very familiar

All... 8A give me LA & Rice with H-F and LWE being a threat
7A give me Montini GBW and MC
6A I'll say I Naz
5A JCA

JCA will not win 5A. I hope I am wrong, but they are going to really struggle to make the playoffs this year. There is a fair amount of talent in the freshmen class, so hopefully it is a one year blip.

Reactions: mshank
LA is the favorite by far, not even close. They are reloading and the new QB is more of a threat then in previous years which adds a whole new dimension to their offense. I wouldnt look past PC either, they had a down year but return some studs. SR is in trouble again. LA wins the blue with a three team race for second, sounds very familiar
I have Rita at 0-4 in the Blue. Had them 0-4 last year to. They also drew Laurence in a crossover.They don't have the horses they had 10 years ago.

that's the thing not sure where teams are gonna be placed. 8A semi is set though with LA v Palatine and LWE v BR. 7A probly GW v Cary again. 6A if Montini there probly them v PRidge again. Naz if 6A there and if they are 5A def win that again.

Reactions: kpjasion
Slow down on LA. The last time they won a state championship, the following year they lost 1st round vs McHenry (aka the finest game Mike Noll ever coached).
Also, the qb position isn't final. And, even if it were, the talk should be about the returning inside linebackers.
I swear, what do they have to do for their defense to be talked about?

Next, if you're looking for a difference-maker to talk about, it should be O'Shea from Palatine.
College recruiters: I'll save you some work. There's your man.

Lastly, I expect MC will be back, bigger and stronger than ever.
But I recently heard that it is a terribly racist place. Particularly so if your kid doesn't get his way.

Reactions: kpjasion
JCA will not win 5A. I hope I am wrong, but they are going to really struggle to make the playoffs this year. There is a fair amount of talent in the freshmen class, so hopefully it is a one year blip.
Not hearing it. JCA, 5A champs...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT