ADVERTISEMENT

So here is a thought....

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
If I was a pro district guy before it got shot down...after all of this COVID ordeal do I reconsider dusting off the district scheduling plan and resubmitting it again? I have a feeling many who voted for it then voted it down would possibly reconsider it? Sure would make some sense especially the schools outside of Chicagoland area/COVID impact area.

Also can you see a time when IHSA would look at having non impacted areas starting on time and the other impacted areas delayed or even cancelled? Before this happened I would have said never...but now this all makes you rethink some things..and if you are in the less affected areas and ready to go...well...which is the case for many, many non Chicagoland area schools

Thoughts? Am I way off base here?

As we have seen with other states, just because you have a low infection rate now does not mean it will be that way in a month.

If I was a pro district guy before it got shot down...after all of this COVID ordeal do I reconsider dusting off the district scheduling plan and resubmitting it again? I have a feeling many who voted for it then voted it down would possibly reconsider it? Sure would make some sense especially the schools outside of Chicagoland area/COVID impact area.

Also can you see a time when IHSA would look at having non impacted areas starting on time and the other impacted areas delayed or even cancelled? Before this happened I would have said never...but now this all makes you rethink some things..and if you are in the less affected areas and ready to go...well...which is the case for many, many non Chicagoland area schools

Thoughts? Am I way off base here?
I've had the exact same thoughts for a couple weeks now BUT not being a big fan of Districts, I never wanted to put that idea in print.

It might work out great right now but I would hate to be locked into Districts in the future.

And yes some areas are ready to rock-n-roll and some are not. I could definitely see some areas of the state wanting to start their regular sports back up and not want to wait until the harder hit areas are ready.

Last edited:
I'm not sure districts is the answer...most conferences are regional in nature, so lookiing to minimize the effects of the virus by changing to districts really won't make much difference. It might make it worse if it is enrollment class based in an area where the smaller schools are big 2A/small 3A, or big 3A/small 4A, or similar, because the travel might increase...

Example...
Western Illinois Valley has two divisions, North & South, basically west of Springfield...breakdown by school, county, & number of corona cases...

South:
Carrollton - Greene County - 13 cases
White Hall (N. Greene) - Greene County - same 13 cases
Hardin Calhoun - Calhoun County - 2 cases
Pleasant Hill - Pike County - 9 cases
Winchester - Scott County - 1 case
Greenfield coop - Greene County - same 13 cases
**(originally did Greenville by mistake, which is Bond County - 24 cases)
**coop is with Palmyra Northwestern, in Macopin County - 86 cases

6 schools in 4 counties, 24 cases in the counties, coop county has what 5 districts splitting...

North:
Beardstown - Cass County - 146 cases
Camp Point Central - Adams County - 244 cases
Mendon (Unity) - Adams County - same 244 cases
Concord Triopia - Morgan County - 142 cases
Jacksonville Routt - Morgan County - same 142 cases
Mt. Sterling (Brown County) - Brown County - 10 cases

Hmmm...Morgan County Jacksonville High shares those cases, and Adams County would be shared with Quincy & QND...

I think the schools here have a much better grasp of their local scene than the Governor...They can handle a local outburst much better than the state...They should be concerned, and monitor the situation, but the situation is pretty limited...

There are areas like this all over the state...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT