ADVERTISEMENT

SICP 23 Hilltoppers 10 FINAL

What happened to the running scheme the Hill used so successfully last week with the fullback leading the blocking.

Very disappointed in the Hill, I thought they would put it all together tonight. They just can't find any consistency and continue to be sloppy. There are plenty of teams in 5a that are better.

Reactions: USD24
Probably their worst game of the year. Penalties. Turnovers. Stopped themselves so many times. Will be interesting where this will put them in the playoffs. They need the fullback formation for blocking. The line needs that help. It works. Still hopeful they can win a game or two I’m the playoffs and build with this young team for 2024.

Reactions: jobare56
Probably their worst game of the year. Penalties. Turnovers. Stopped themselves so many times. Will be interesting where this will put them in the playoffs. They need the fullback formation for blocking. The line needs that help. It works. Still hopeful they can win a game or two I’m the playoffs and build with this young team for 2024.
Want to see Washington on the field and not come off in the playoffs. He is the most potent weapon they have.

I really think their best look is Washington and Grigsby wide. Grigsby needs the ball in space. The other backs can handle the between the tackles stuff just fine. And having two potent threats out wide or in the slot can help move the chains and open running lanes. I thought Stringham and Farnaus had some nice runs today.

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
Great idea on Grigsby and Washington. If the coaches will not help with a fullback, then the best way to get Grigsby the ball is as a wideout.

“The only silver lining is, it’s Week 9 and not Week 10,” Hilltoppers coach Jack Jaworski said. “If that happens next week, we’re going home.” Herald News

St. Ignatius capitalized on the Hilltopper mistakes and was clearly the more disciplined and better coached team. They controlled the line, the clock and played error free. They succeed by doing a few things very well. St. Ignatius is where every contending team should be in week #9 and they earned a big victory. They deserve sincere congratulations for the victory and to where they have built a program. Very impressive.

The Hilltopper Coaches and Players need to do an honest evaluation of the effort put forth last night. I wish them the best and hope that there is some magic switch that they can flip.

Scoring points via TDs has become too difficult. Too many Red Zone going for it on 4th-&-X yards have been stopped, while the best kicker in the program's history watches from the sideline. Running sideways on critical short yardage downs gives a good opponent a lot of time to react and pursue when just a few yards forward is all that is needed.

Every team they will face now has a winning record; their Week #1 & Week #2 victories were their only wins against winning teams. “If that happens next week, we’re going home.” True words indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: pjjp
St. Ignatius capitalized on the Hilltopper mistakes and was clearly the more disciplined and better coached team. They controlled the line, the clock and played error free. They succeed by doing a few things very well. St. Ignatius is where every contending team should be in week #9 and they earned a big victory. They deserve sincere congratulations for the victory and to where they have built a program. Very impressive.
No doubt. Iggy has a very nice thing going. They have very intelligent kids who run a unique system, and the difference in play, in terms of discipline, was striking last night. Kudos to the Wolfpack.

As for JCA, they are what they are at this point:

Up 10 on Rita....had numerous errors and mistakes which contributed to the loss.
Up 14 on St. Francis....a big turnover in the red zone stands out. which changed the momentum of the game.
Up 10 last night....then made numerous turnovers (3) and drive killing penalties. Also, did they stop any outside runs after the 1st quarter?

To the Hilltoppers credit, they found a way to beat, IMO, a more talented team in Marist after falling behind by 14. However, you don't want to see the mistakes and penalties in Week 9 that they had last night.

I have another factor to consider, but first I will write a lengthy disclaimer.

I sometimes have a hard time communicating clearly via a post on here and people may read too much into what I say. But that will happen when you basically die 3 times in the ICU and have what the neurologist called many-many mini-strokes.

Example: I made a quick Friday evening post during the games about the Mt. Carmel game (I don't even remember their opponent) and I just wanted to comment that MC's players looked a lot bigger standing next to their opponents. Well I apparently made the mistake of wording it "the opponent looked like a pop warner team standing next to the MC players" and WOW the regular Vultures on here went as far as to attack me on a personal level. They said I was insulting their opponent's team, players and football program, with what I wrote.

So, if that sounds like I might be talking about you, please stop reading now, and go look for your roadkill somewhere else.

The weird factor from what I saw in JCA's game (and this is just an opinion). We have to remember these are just kids (teenagers) and sometime we can't fully understand as adults what gets inside their heads or throws them off their game. But I believe when Iggy started using #99 as a fullback and they didn't have an immediate answer to that new challange, that the whole thing got in their heads and really threw off their game. After that it just seemed like a snowball effect, like momentum, and the wheels started coming off.

Granted, making adjustments to the unexpected is a part of football, but with #99 and suddenly being faced with a very athletic 6'5" 315+ pounds RB is a pretty big adjustment.

Congrats to Iggy and the Hilltoppers will be fine, provided they can get that out of their heads.

Reactions: rjjtwest
Can one of you Joliet Catholic guys foster the spirit of Illini 8 cooperation and provide a scouting report on St. Ignatius?
I am happy to oblige.
Defensively, they have good size on the line, aggressive in stopping the run and the DBs cover very well.
Offensively, good size on the line too and will aim to eat clock and keep your Offense on the sidelines.
See JT Grad Jeff Monken's offensive schemes at Army and that is what they do with the wrinkle of lining up their 6'5" 325 lb. All American athletically gifted D-Lineman at FB to pound the ball in short yardage.
Though they do not throw often, their QB has a nice arm and their receivers catch balls thrown to them.
St. Ignatius is among the most academically competitive and demanding schools in the state and that discipline is reflected in their on the field crispness and near error free execution.
"I'm a Tiger, you're a Tiger, We are Tigers all, and when we get together, we give the Tiger Call ......... " ;-)
Best of luck to the Tigers.

I am happy to oblige.
Defensively, they have good size on the line, aggressive in stopping the run and the DBs cover very well.
Offensively, good size on the line too and will aim to eat clock and keep your Offense on the sidelines.
See JT Grad Jeff Monken's offensive schemes at Army and that is what they do with the wrinkle of lining up their 6'5" 325 lb. All American athletically gifted D-Lineman at FB to pound the ball in short yardage.
Though they do not throw often, their QB has a nice arm and their receivers catch balls thrown to them.
St. Ignatius is among the most academically competitive and demanding schools in the state and that discipline is reflected in their on the field crispness and near error free execution.
"I'm a Tiger, you're a Tiger, We are Tigers all, and when we get together, we give the Tiger Call ......... " ;-)
Best of luck to the Tigers.
Agreed on all comments.

It sounds like the Scott to fullback move was something just for week 9. With its success, I would assume they will continue it into week 10. They would be crazy not to. And he is terrifying in that backfield. Should have been utilizing that all season.

West CAN beat Ignatius. But if they do it will have been earned. Ignatius plays people close and tries to force you into a mistake or two. Their offense will never wow you but wear you down just enough. And if they keep the ball out of your hands for 8-10 minute drives, that bodes well for them.

West will need a timely turnover or a few key defensive stops to pull this one out.

other than getting 50 balled at Morris for their only loss Tiger defense generally pretty good, of course this is a leap up in competition
They can win. But it's not so much about getting outplayed. Its more about being worried about being outdisciplined or outschemed. If that powerless feeling that power 5 programs have when they play a service academy and they just run for 2-4 yards a pop over and over again starts to creep in, then that is when you know you're in for a rough night.

If they commit no turnovers or penalties and run for 2-4 yards a pop, then you have to play near perfect and make a few big plays to give yourself a chance. And if Scott gets some carries in short yardage or red zone situations, I really don't know how to stop that even if you are gap sound. If he had been playing in the backfield all year and getting 10 carries a game, I don't know that they lose a game.

Reactions: JolietWest89
I would love a Jesuit battle in the quarterfinal. Hopefully the Wolfpack and ramblers can make it happen!
Really impressed w how the ignatius program has evolved. My freshman year, they forfeited at half. They have come a long way from then.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT