ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday games

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I despise Saturday games and the "extra" day of preparation does not matter. Plus if you are a 1a-4a why would you willingly want a "short" week heading into the state game?

Reactions: stl705 and eireog
Lengthy travel in the smaller classes can be an issue sometimes.

I have heard that the IHSA is discouraging Saturday games, especially in the 1st round because of the shortage of refs.

Lengthy travel in the smaller classes can be an issue sometimes.

All.... Saturday games are absolutely necessary at times. Metamora* (class 5A) travels to Marion which is a four hour drive. No way you take a half day at school on Friday, jump on the bus drive to Marion and hit the field without some type of negative effect.

Don't know but I would imagine the Redbirds will make the drive Friday, stay at a motel, and be ready and fresh the next day for their afternoon game. Ratsy

All.... Saturday games are absolutely necessary at times. Metamora* (class 5A) travels to Marion which is a four hour drive. No way you take a half day at school on Friday, jump on the bus drive to Marion and hit the field without some type of negative effect.

Don't know but I would imagine the Redbirds will make the drive Friday, stay at a motel, and be ready and fresh the next day for their afternoon game. Ratsy
That being said, OFallon, making the trip to Glenbrook North on a Friday makes little sense.

That being said, OFallon, making the trip to Glenbrook North on a Friday makes little sense.

They stay on the same schedule and do not have to wake up early on a Saturday to play. I would do the same thing if I was them.

Reactions: RockSoup
They stay on the same schedule and do not have to wake up early on a Saturday to play. I would do the same thing if I was them.
I was responding to 'Rat's comment about the travel on a Friday having a negative effect. Driving 5 hours on a bus certainly isn't the 'same' schedule.

If I were them, I’d travel down Thursday evening, stay over, and take all day Friday in preparation. If they win, it’s worth the investment. A half day of classes on a playoff game day is worthless. Just my opinion.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it is my understanding IHSA pencils in ALL playoff for Saturday, and can only be changed to Friday if both teams agree.
Teams have to agree on day and time. If they dont the game is Saturday. IHSA will listen to both teams reason for game time on Saturday and make a decision if needed.

I despise Saturday games and the "extra" day of preparation does not matter. Plus if you are a 1a-4a why would you willingly want a "short" week heading into the state game?
Not every school has lights to play Friday night. One such school comes to mind for me rather quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: RockSoup and eireog
If I were them, I’d travel down Thursday evening, stay over, and take all day Friday in preparation. If they win, it’s worth the investment. A half day of classes on a playoff game day is worthless. Just my opinion.
Agree but most schools do not see it that way and will not let their kids miss a full day of school. As for the ride, it is bad either way but I would rather take it on Friday if forced.

Reactions: RockSoup
Not every school has lights to play Friday night. One such school comes to mind for me rather quickly.
I know you like to argue just to argue. Obviously there are situaitons that make it not possible to play Friday. Like if you do not have lights. If you play a CPS team you are at the mercy of CPS admin on what day and time you get.

Two schools less than an hour away who usually play on Fridays not playing on Friday is dumb. But that is just my opinion.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
The trend lately has more teams opting for Saturday's in the early rounds. I don't mind a Saturday night game. Day games, not so much.

I know you like to argue just to argue. Obviously there are situaitons that make it not possible to play Friday. Like if you do not have lights. If you play a CPS team you are at the mercy of CPS admin on what day and time you get.

Two schools less than an hour away who usually play on Fridays not playing on Friday is dumb. But that is just my opinion.
Not arguing. Just stating one reason why they can't all be Saturday games.

There is something special about Friday evening/night HS football in my mind.
I think there is something special about Saturday playoff games with a late afternoon KO. You get a better tailgate and bigger crowds for Saturdays. The weather is a little nicer as well.

Just me but just something about a fall overcast Saturday afternoon KO that feels like IHSA playoff football.

Any CPL team that is hosting this weekend should have pushed for the Thursday 4:15 or Saturday 9:30 am game time. That is true home field advantage.

A lot of $$ for a round 1 playoff game. Someone will whine again at some point sending us back to early round regional type games

Reactions: TigerforFlyers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT