ADVERTISEMENT

Rochester St. Laurence

rfb321

Oct 28, 2015
Okay, there still is a 4A title game in four days and this one has not generated a peep. The Larry fans have been a rather quiet humble group this season, but not the other side. Maybe there is a Trump style gag order on Rochester posters, an area wide internet net failure, or a general belief that the outcome is inevitable and not worth discussing. Anyway, how bout some educated opinions or even some delusional bragging

• Haha
Reactions: Checkdowncharlie
I know it is a bit cliche but this year’s Vikings are a resilient bunch. Come back wins on final drives v Providence and IC and Wheaton A. A comeback against St Francis fell a bit short. Same for Rita game. It will not be easy for Rochester.

I will be interested to see how Larry does running the football. Rochester run D has been outstanding this year.

Reactions: cigaros
Is Lenti still assisting at Larry?
I don’t think he’s ever been an assistant in the traditional sense there, more of an athletic mentor. The three times they have played MC since he left he never surfaced I’m told. I’ve been told he’s not there anymore and others said he is. He’s in his 70’s so maybe he’s living the good life

It will be interested to see how Larry does running the football. Rochester run D has been outstanding this year
You could say that Laurence has the second or third best run game in the CCL and they did it against tough teams. Byron’s run D was outstanding against their opposition. Montini gave them all they could handle and I would guess ran the ball better than any one else on Byron’s schedule

Reactions: doctor_d
Is Lenti still assisting at Larry?
He has a presence with the team. A great influence. I don’t know him very well but did get a chance to meet him and chat with him at great length on random football stories from the past not too long ago. Very nice guy!! And humble!

I don’t think he’s ever been an assistant in the traditional sense there, more of an athletic mentor. The three times they have played MC since he left he never surfaced I’m told. I’ve been told he’s not there anymore and others said he is. He’s in his 70’s so maybe he’s living the good life
I have seen him at every game this year.

Yes, wearing an SL ball cap, no headphones or interacting with other coaches or players. Hope the tv broadcast picks him up with a few good comments
The broadcasts typically have enough issues just getting the correct player information out so I wouldn't hold your breath on them being able to sight and comment on Lenti.

Yes, wearing an SL ball cap, no headphones or interacting with other coaches or players. Hope the tv broadcast picks him up with a few good comments
That’s not exactly true by any means. But I’m sure Mr Lenti knows his role as he is a professional and I’m sure glad he is now on our side

Stop #6 and #8 for STL and Rochester will win big.

R 42
STL 10
Holy sht! 2 1/2 hours in. Gag order has been lifted. Rockets are back on line. Here we go
Stopping 8 and 6 not that easy. Can’t go with Rockets -32, but welcome back. Let’s get this going

• Haha
Holy sht! 2 1/2 hours in. Gag order has been lifted. Rockets are back on line. Here we go
Stopping 8 and 6 not that easy. Can’t go with Rockets -32, but welcome back. Let’s get this going
I don't believe MS4EVER is a Rocket fan. As for the talk from actual Rochester fans...some of us prefer to sit back and listen to the CCL/Northern IL fans tell us all the reasons we can't win. We've listened to it just about every year going back to 2010, but particularly in the Phillips, St. Rita, and Morris games. How our players are too small, too slow, or not ready for "Northern IL style football". It's more fun this way...makes the Friday after T'giving more memorable.

• Love
Darn MS4. I didn’t check and thought you were a rocket guy and was trying to stir the pot. Yes, SLA doesn’t appear to be able to throw a meaningful pass. That’s a problem too

• Haha
Reactions: cigaros and MS4EVER
You could say that Laurence has the second or third best run game in the CCL and they did it against tough teams. Byron’s run D was outstanding against their opposition. Montini gave them all they could handle and I would guess ran the ball better than any one else on Byron’s schedule
Yes, I’m aware that StL has a great run game. In the past, Rochester hasn’t always had a great defense, but it’s one of their better ones. Should be interesting. I’d like to see a close game, and hopefully we get that. Off the top of my head, I don’t think Derek Leonard has ever lost in the title game.

I don't believe MS4EVER is a Rocket fan. As for the talk from actual Rochester fans...some of us prefer to sit back and listen to the CCL/Northern IL fans tell us all the reasons we can't win. We've listened to it just about every year going back to 2010, but particularly in the Phillips, St. Rita, and Morris games. How our players are too small, too slow, or not ready for "Northern IL style football". It's more fun this way...makes the Friday after T'giving more memorable.
oh woe is you. where has anyone said Rochester can't or won't win. Fairly certain just about everyone here has Rochester winning this game fairly easily. But you keep thinking it's Rochester vs. the world.

oh woe is you. where has anyone said Rochester can't or won't win. Fairly certain just about everyone here has Rochester winning this game fairly easily. But you keep thinking it's Rochester vs. the world.
You misread the tenor of my post. "Just about every year" does not equal "every year". Not saying it's happening this year, just giving my opinion on why Rocket fans sit back and are quiet sometimes. Sorry to trigger you!

My thoughts....

This game's outcome falls squarely on the Rocket D-Line and STL O-Line. If STL opens holes for the run and wears down the Rocket D-Line, while chewing the clock and pounding out 3, 4 and 5 yard gains, there is a path to victory for STL. They will need to run a healthy mixture of gut shots up the middle as well as bouncing outside the ends to keep Buecker and Co. guessing.

If the Rocket D-Line regularly makes holes for Bramer and Lyons and if Swaney and Ingold contain the bounces outside it could be a bad night for STL. Given STL's lack of a passing game, expect some interesting safety play from Buecker.

One possible Rocket weakness that could come into play is kick coverage. Giving a run heavy STL team short fields to work with gives them a distinct advantage.

Having said all that....my prediction is Rochester by 14

Last edited:
You been on the board for less than 3 months with this screen name. There is a lot of ball busting going on here. With CCL teams their rivals enjoy stirring the pot. By posting how a big a rival is going to win by these posters piss off the opponent and build up their rival that even if they win they fall well short of expectations.

If your looking for bulletin board material you can find it in almost every post. The Antioch AD does.

Enjoy the game. Rochester is a solid 17 point favorite looking at the bracket scores since the playoffs started.

I am a fan of many schools Rochester included. I can appreciate great coaching and hard work when I see it. Good luck to both teams!

Yes, I’m aware that StL has a great run game. In the past, Rochester hasn’t always had a great defense, but it’s one of their better ones. Should be interesting. I’d like to see a close game, and hopefully we get that. Off the top of my head, I don’t think Derek Leonard has ever lost in the title game.
They did pretty good stopping Kaleb Brown when he was a RB for Rita in 2018 and he had gone over 2,000 yards that year behind a mammoth OL.

Can Mike Oneil give them a pep talk.
This one’s been kinda sticking in my craw since Monday when I listened to the “Between the Lines” podcast. Edgy and Mike Clark both credited the juggernaut St. Laurence teams of the 70’s to Mike O’Neil. This is partially true. Tom Kavanaugh was the coach of the first CCL team to win a state championship in 1976. I want to say that O’Neil was the coach of the team when they lost to ESL in 1979. Mike coached some great teams but you have to give Tom Kavanaugh some cred. Unfortunately Tom Kavanaugh has passed, the football field at SL is named in his honor.

They did pretty good stopping Kaleb Brown when he was a RB for Rita in 2018 and he had gone over 2,000 yards that year behind a mammoth OL.
Sure, Rita didn’t fare too well that day.

Looking back over the years, they have given it up on defense while their offense takes most of the spotlight.
They gave up almost 200 on the ground vs Morris, almost 250 to Johnsburg, over 300 to Phillips, almost 300 vs Richmond-Burton.
I’ve heard from multiple sources that this might be their best defense in school history. I know Coal City wasn’t a world beater this year, but they had a decent run game and I saw Rochester limit them to almost nothing.

This one’s been kinda sticking in my craw since Monday when I listened to the “Between the Lines” podcast. Edgy and Mike Clark both credited the juggernaut St. Laurence teams of the 70’s to Mike O’Neil. This is partially true. Tom Kavanaugh was the coach of the first CCL team to win a state championship in 1976. I want to say that O’Neil was the coach of the team when they lost to ESL in 1979. Mike coached some great teams but you have to give Tom Kavanaugh some cred. Unfortunately Tom Kavanaugh has passed, the football field at SL is named in his honor.
Some credit ? Actually Mr Kavanagh should get a TON of credit for what STL produced in the 70’s It was all him before he turned the program over to Mr ONeill in 78 Well our stadium is named Kavanagh Stadium after all. Coach ONeill does get credit for the first school to win 4 consecutive Chicago Catholic League championships in the mid 80’s. When there was one single CCL

Reactions: eireog
Agree but not a mammoth OL? That Rita OL averaged 6'2 and 249lb which was almost identical to Rochester's OL 6'1 240lb. Much of that due to one 305lb tackle. Rochester average DL 6'1 229lb. Pretty simple game plan, load the box and the bet paid off since Rita pass game just not effective that year. Really too bad because the following year's team, Brown's junior year was a lot better but that was the Covid year.

This comment says it all. Rocket fans will be eerily quiet and let the CCL run its mouths. “Rochester hasn’t seen a run game like this”. “CCL is the best in the state”. And then the Rockets will take whatever the defense gives them and execute. If it works, great. If not, they will adjust. 8 titles since 2010 says what we are doing works. So just rinse and repeat. Celebrate the victory. Or congratulate our opponent on their victory.

But what we will not do is push the idea of recruiting being the difference. We simply do not care. Our best 11 against their best 11 and let’s have some fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: chiliconcarne2
That game was an incredible surprise to the North. Brown had long of 8 and average less than a yard per carry. The Rocket defense always adjusts well.

That game was an incredible surprise to the North. Brown had long of 8 and average less than a yard per carry. The Rocket defense always adjusts well.
Not everyone was surprised. Some people knew that SR would be significantly out-coached.

• Wow
This comment says it all. Rocket fans will be eerily quiet and let the CCL run its mouths. “Rochester hasn’t seen a run game like this”. “CCL is the best in the state”. And then the Rockets will take whatever the defense gives them and execute. If it works, great. If not, they will adjust. 8 titles since 2010 says what we are doing works. So just rinse and repeat. Celebrate the victory. Or congratulate our opponent on their victory.

But what we will not do is push the idea of recruiting being the difference. We simply do not care. Our best 11 against their best 11 and let’s have some fun.
1. Nobody is running their mouth, stop yourself
2. Rochester cannot push the idea of recruiting because they are masters of it
3. We? What position do you play or are you a coach?
4. Did you go to Michigan?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT