ADVERTISEMENT

Ref ? Will some of these iffy NFL helmet penalties in the Pre-season trickle down to the IHSA?

mullin17

Jul 2, 2001
Not looking to start a concussion thread.

Just curious what the IHSA is informing refs on how to monitor/flag lowering the helmet etc.

Some of these NFL calls this season have been a disaster.

Nothing has changed from the HS standpoint from last yr. same targeting emphasis As the rule is around longer I imagine refs will become more proficient with calling it but hopefully at the same time the kids will be better about not initiating contact with the crown or high on defenseless players. The NFL doesn’t seem to have their rule nailed down well yet. It’s a hard thing to see correctly as it is sometimes so I can only imagine how hard it is with the speed those players are bringing to the table

Reactions: mullin17
You have got to remember the game is "Under attack". If we don't take the helmet out of the game it might not be around in 10-20 years at the high school level. The helmet is there for protection, not a weapon . The insurance cost just might get so high schools won't want to pay it. Look at the numbers coming out, smaller and smaller every year.

I will say this though, at the scrimmages I have seen so far the tackling has been showing signs of improving. Coaches and the kids have been getting the message.

If you read the definition of tackling in the rule book it says this.
"Tackling is the use of hands, arms, legs, or body by a defensive player in his attempt to hold a runner or to bring him to the ground "
Nowhere do you see the word "head" in the definition.

Fuller gets flagged for a perfect shoulder first tackle...multiple overly heads up tacklers, on the other hand, get blasted over backwards because they can't get any leverage....when tacklers repeatedly hit someone and the runner gets five more yards because the runner can drop his shoulder and the tackler can't...

Not looking to start a concussion thread.

Just curious what the IHSA is informing refs on how to monitor/flag lowering the helmet etc.

Some of these NFL calls this season have been a disaster.
I think the heads up movement is great. I love that it is starting in youth football. Everyone has their opinion on when boys should start playing tackle. My contention is whether it is as 8,9,10 or 11 year olds, learning proper form before puberty, and having good numbers of kids playing before they get too fast and hit too hard is what will keep this game going. I don’t think there will be any trickle down in terms of this rule. I think that violent but legal hits may get flagged just because the culture has changed. It is unfortunate that great hard hits that don’t injure anyone will fade away for fear of penalty, but it is an evolution that is real. It is a violent game in nature, but more information and clinics like heads up with suburban moms involved, can boost numbers back up and help eliminate chronic and acute head and neck injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT