ADVERTISEMENT

Ref Question

niualum2002

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2004
What’s the rule on the Jalen Hurts style QB push play? Gotten two different interpretations in the last two days. One said you can’t push the player only the pile and the other said only one hand can be on the QB not two.

Thanks!

What’s the rule on the Jalen Hurts style QB push play? Gotten two different interpretations in the last two days. One said you can’t push the player only the pile and the other said only one hand can be on the QB not two.

Thanks!
This is a tricky one. Pushing the pile is pretty common and haven’t seen it flagged.

Pushing the player one hand or no is a point of emphasis and a no-no

Reactions: niualum2002
Makes sense. So my question then is what distinguishes the player from the pile? No touching the QB but pushing the linemen is fair game? In the Hurts play it just becomes one big scrum making it hard to distinguish the two.

Makes sense. So my question then is what distinguishes the player from the pile? No touching the QB but pushing the linemen is fair game? In the Hurts play it just becomes one big scrum making it hard to distinguish the two.
Boy you’re making me think. It’s pretty tough to distinguish. If the ball carrier is in that mob it’s pretty hard to tell. It’s a call that happens when it’s fairly obvious. In a rugby scrum we are looking for forward progress and where it ends.

Sorry - not a real answer because it’s a tough play to officiate for that rule.

Reactions: niualum2002
Boy you’re making me think. It’s pretty tough to distinguish. If the ball carrier is in that mob it’s pretty hard to tell. It’s a call that happens when it’s fairly obvious. In a rugby scrum we are looking for forward progress and where it ends.

Sorry - not a real answer because it’s a tough play to officiate for that rule.
Newt sums it up well here , has to be obvious

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT