ADVERTISEMENT

Red Shirt an incoming freshman

Okay, common can be the right word, but perhaps not as common in this area of the country. Then again, all evidence is anecdotal at best, so it may be more prevalent in our area than a lot of people realize. I've yet to see a study or investigative piece done on Red Shirt prevalence in the Chicago Metro Area. It would be interesting to see, for sure.
That’s what I said. Midwest is behind the curve.

Reactions: RD_Watcher
In my observation, it is normally a kid who went from a public MS to a Catholic (private) MS, then went back to public HS. Off the top of my head, I know 6 families who have done exactly this, though one went out of state to repeat 8th grade. In all instances, the kid went from the younger side of his class to the older side of the next class. I do not no of anyone who has gone from private MS to private MS, to private HS. Only 1 family I know of went from public MS to private MS to private HS.

I believe you. I am just not aware of any families that have done that with the group of schools I am familiar with.

I believe you. I am just not aware of any families that have done that with the group of schools I am familiar with.

Some parents out my way have investigated the “gap year concept”. Not common but used when a high school student say takes a year off to travel abroad. And these are not parents of athletes, but parents fearing the school will revert to all online learning. Recent studies have shown that in math and foreign language, e- learning may be as low as 37% effective as real school. 60% for other subjects. Hybrid models may not be much better. But since your not going to travel abroad during a pandemic, you scrap that idea, send them to school a couple of days a week and hope for the best

Reactions: USD24
If you already started high school you have 8 consecutive semesters to play. So trying to red shirt in Illinois would be a waste of time once you start.
Yes if you are considering this have them repeat eighth grade somewhere. Once you start High School the click starts ticking even if you move. We have been through all of this with my son the only place that he can reclassify is at prep schools that have teams that are not playing in state sanctioned sports. Turned down the opportunity to keep playing with his current team. Most likely looking at a PG year somewhere after graduates high school here in Illinois now, unless the right fit works for him for college.
If you are concerned start looking at private schools to repeat eighth grade.

Some parents out my way have investigated the “gap year concept”. Not common but used when a high school student say takes a year off to travel abroad. And these are not parents of athletes, but parents fearing the school will revert to all online learning. Recent studies have shown that in math and foreign language, e- learning may be as low as 37% effective as real school. 60% for other subjects. Hybrid models may not be much better. But since your not going to travel abroad during a pandemic, you scrap that idea, send them to school a couple of days a week and hope for the best
I actually talked to a parent today they are looking at the gap year in lieu of a PG somewhere for their riding Junior. Have not thought about a gap year for a incoming freshman.

That’s what I said. Midwest is behind the curve.
Repeating eighth grade got so bad in New Jersey a few years ago that they actually tried to pass a state law that if you repeated eighth grade you lost a year of high school eligibility. But that was before all this so my guess is it will be more common here as it already is almost expected on east coast.

I actually talked to a parent today they are looking at the gap year in lieu of a PG somewhere for their riding Junior. Have not thought about a gap year for a incoming freshman.

Gap year implies no school at all that year. If you are talking about a rising junior you can’t take a gap year now it would have to be after he graduates but he then needs to play football during that year if you are doing it for football purposes otherwise college will be like what are you doing this year just sitting around. Can’t take a gap year during HS career you lose eligibility... only have 4 years once freshman year starts. And as far as an 8th grader you can’t just take a gap year with no school they are mandated to be in school at that age by law. So you can repeat 8th grade at a school that allows it or do an 8th grade year at an online school option but you can’t just sit out school altogether as a “gap” year between 8th and 9th.

Strangely, I come from an era of the opposite...My sister's birthday is Jan. 2. She started preschool at a private preschool and basically did kindergarten at age 4. My parents went to register her for 1st grade at the public school and was told her birthday was way past the then Sept. cutoff. My parents told them they would just enroll her at the private school and transfer her after a month...they let her enroll in 1st grade that year. She didn't turn 16 til January her junior year...a big chunk of her classmates had their licenses before she even got a permit...graduated from nursing school prior to her 20th birthday...

I have a late August birthday...and had a host of classmates with birthdays in August & September. I suppose this might be why we were often just physically beaten - other teams might have been nearly a year older than we were...

Online learning is an issue, I've heard no one who thinks highly of it. Right now the younger child, absolutely uninterested in sports, is autistic and has an IEP that in part deals with his complete disinterest in socializing. He would rather sit in his room and watch youtube videos and movies all day, and Covid has given him an excuse to do that...It would be a violation of his IEP to do e-learning again... And this problem is across the board, home schooling doesn't socialize kids, and much more of this is going to really cause problems for a whole generation of kids...

Gap year implies no school at all that year. If you are talking about a rising junior you can’t take a gap year now it would have to be after he graduates but he then needs to play football during that year if you are doing it for football purposes otherwise college will be like what are you doing this year just sitting around. Can’t take a gap year during HS career you lose eligibility... only have 4 years once freshman year starts. And as far as an 8th grader you can’t just take a gap year with no school they are mandated to be in school at that age by law. So you can repeat 8th grade at a school that allows it or do an 8th grade year at an online school option but you can’t just sit out school altogether as a “gap” year between 8th and 9th.
No. This thinking had nothing to do with athletics or eligibility it was just a way of avoiding the useless year of e-learning. It would never happen but interesting that parents actually investigated it

Reactions: Gene K.
Yes I know, was just saying I had not heard of someone taking a gap year between 8th and 9th grade. Know of people considering it right now as rising juniors for after they graduate in 2022

No. This thinking had nothing to do with athletics or eligibility it was just a way of avoiding the useless year of e-learning. It would never happen but interesting that parents actually investigated it
I agree with the current environment of e-learning that people are investigating because of academics but I think most people looking at a gap year between 8th and 9th grade was for athletics before this pandemic to reclassify and be in the older range of that particular year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT