ADVERTISEMENT

Red Shirt an incoming freshman

RR29

Dec 5, 2014
So can a family who has an incoming freshman hold the student out of school until next fall. Assuming schools will have remote learning and no fall sports. After going through remote learning at the end of eighth grade, I don’t think I could put him through that hell for the start of high school.

Reactions: Schwab54
So can a family who has an incoming freshman hold the student out of school until next fall. Assuming schools will have remote learning and no fall sports. After going through remote learning at the end of eighth grade, I don’t think I could put him through that hell for the start of high school.
You likely will have to attend a private school and repeat 8th grade, then enroll wherever you intend to enroll. Not sure if you can repeat a grade doing homeschool.

Reactions: Hillini74

The easiest maneuver especially under the circumstance will be to enroll him in an 8th grade program of an online school program. You can find inexpensive options that will be less than private school and there is a strong chance he will be doing online anyway most of this year. And he has already done 8th grade so he knows the material and this will just act as reinforcement. Age won’t be an issue as you can play HS until you reach 20 years old. To be specific you can’t turn 20 anytime during the season or you are ineligible the whole season. The oldest you could possibly be would be to turn 20 the day after the state championship game.

This is a defin. discussion among a number of not just incoming 8th graders but also with current students that would NOT violate the age eligibility.

I am becoming more and more despondent of actuality of a football season actually happening. Esp with whats going on in
Lake Zurich!

Reactions: Laurarube
This is a defin. discussion among a number of not just incoming 8th graders but also with current students that would NOT violate the age eligibility.

I am becoming more and more despondent of actuality of a football season actually happening. Esp with whats going on in
Lake Zurich!

If you already started high school you have 8 consecutive semesters to play. So trying to red shirt in Illinois would be a waste of time once you start.

Lake Zurich!

If you are a current HS student your only option is a postgraduate year or reclassification (repeating a year prior to your senior year) and the only option available for such reclassification and maintaining athletic eligibility is an independent prep school (ie - boarding school in the Northeast). Those schools though also won’t be playing this fall so you’d attend there this year without football (unless played in spring) so you can play with them in 2021 or beyond. One note is at this late point even if they have room to enroll you they may likely have given out all of their financial aid availability so that could make it tough. Thus best bet is likely a postgraduate year. If he is a rising senior you can apply this fall for fall 2021 entry as a PG (second senior year).

You likely will have to attend a private school and repeat 8th grade, then enroll wherever you intend to enroll. Not sure if you can repeat a grade doing homeschool.
You can repeat a grade doing homeschool
Common practice in many areas for 8th grade athletes.

I've known a few kids that did the repeat a grade private school route, but not homeschool. It's an interesting decision to make.

I guess my question is can I home school him, since basically that is what’s going to happen, without DCFS knocking on my door.

I've known a few kids that did the repeat a grade private school route, but not homeschool. It's an interesting decision to make.

Using an online school is a way to effectively do “homeschooling” without having to jump through any homeschooling hoops as you are using an accredited school to facilitate the learning.

Reactions: Laurarube
Using an online school is a way to effectively do “homeschooling” without having to jump through any homeschooling hoops as you are using an accredited school to facilitate the learning.
That time for me has come and gone, but if I could go back to either the beginning of kindergarten or the end of 8th grade knowing what I know now, it would still be an interesting and difficult decision.

That time for me has come and gone, but if I could go back to either the beginning of kindergarten or the end of 8th grade knowing what I know now, it would still be an interesting and difficult decision.
Hard to do homeschool PG year because you have no competition/film to evaluate. Those need to be done at a private school or program to change your recruiting prospects. JC is usually the best route in that case, in my opinion but you burn a year. And JC already announced fall sports are cancelled.

Hard to do homeschool PG year because you have no competition/film to evaluate. Those need to be done at a private school or program to change your recruiting prospects. JC is usually the best route in that case, in my opinion but you burn a year. And JC already announced fall sports are cancelled.
thankfully, my son will be alright, he's getting offers and attention. He's come to grips with so much being out of his control and knowing he did everything he could on his end. He's an education first athlete with interests outside of football. I can't tell you enough how much that has impressed the coaches he's been able to sit down and talk to.

thankfully, my son will be alright, he's getting offers and attention. He's come to grips with so much being out of his control and knowing he did everything he could on his end. He's an education first athlete with interests outside of football. I can't tell you enough how much that has impressed the coaches he's been able to sit down and talk to.
Wish there were more parents like you! Good luck to you and your son!

Although not clearly defined by the author, I thought this was about Red Shirting your freshman year of High School?

Common practice? Where? I’ve had five kids go through high school and I can’t recall a single kid in any of their classes who did this.

Reactions: net-se
Wish there were more parents like you! Good luck to you and your son!
Although not clearly defined by the author, I thought this was about Red Shirting your freshman year of High School?
yes eighth grade. Only if school doesn’t start. I’m assuming there won’t be fall sports. Not really a “redshirt” I just used the term. Maybe closer to a greyshirt

Common practice? Where? I’ve had five kids go through high school and I can’t recall a single kid in any of their classes who did this.
And when was the last time they cancelled in school instruction for a long period of time.

yes eighth grade. Only if school doesn’t start. I’m assuming there won’t be fall sports. Not really a “redshirt” I just used the term. Maybe closer to a greyshirt
It sounds like a reasonable idea in theory depending on his situation. But I have no idea on what's legal other than the Max age requirement for participating in high school sports.

And when was the last time they cancelled in school instruction for a long period of time.

I’m not questioning that. The poster said it was common practice for kids to repeat 8th grade for sports reasons. I just asked where it was a common practice.

Reactions: net-se
I’m not questioning that. The poster said it was common practice for kids to repeat 8th grade for sports reasons. I just asked where it was a common practice.
If this is true (IF), I would guess places like Texas, Florida, Georgia, California, etc.

May I ask the district or school your kid is going to attend? Would help me to understand why you don't have faith in him getting an education this year

May I ask the district or school your kid is going to attend? Would help me to understand why you don't have faith in him getting an education this year
If they start in school instruction, I have no doubt he will get a good education. My concern is if they only have online instruction. His last couple of months in eighth grade were brutal. Didn’t learn a thing. I won’t put him through that again, especially when grades count toward college acceptance.

If this is true (IF), I would guess places like Texas, Florida, Georgia, California, etc.
Here’s a good article on the topic. It’s so common place in some places that states have introduced legislature to stop the practice. Midwest is just “behind the curve” on this tactic. Your kids are competing with kids 1 or sometimes 2 tears older than them. JT Daniels is one who homeschooled 8th grade. I bring him up because he’s in the news this week.
https://www.parents.com/kids/educat...chool-to-make-them-more-competitive-athletes/

Last edited:
Here’s a good article on the topic. It’s so common place in some places that states have introduced legislature to stop the practice. Midwest is just “behind the curve” on this tactic. Your kids are competing with kids 1 or sometimes 2 tears older than them.
https://www.parents.com/kids/educat...chool-to-make-them-more-competitive-athletes/
Absolutely, in my son's case he's got an August bday in which he will turn 17 (SR). Some of his friends will be 18 before he turns 17 and a few will be 19 before school is out.

If they start in school instruction, I have no doubt he will get a good education. My concern is if they only have online instruction. His last couple of months in eighth grade were brutal. Didn’t learn a thing. I won’t put him through that again, especially when grades count toward college acceptance.
Ok. Just for your knowledge, if it is a good district there will be major differences this go around. Like the grades can actually go down, and there will be accountability when it comes to attendance/work.

Like the grades can actually go down, and there will be accountability when it comes to attendance/work.

I question whether this will really happen. I think the state goes back to pass everyone if we end up out all or most of the semester.

"Common" is definitely not the right term to use, but it is a practice that is used, especially for a kid whose birthday is late (or after) the traditional school year.

Almost every year there is at least 1 kid at SIJ in Hinsdale, or St. Johns in Western Springs who is doing their second 8th grade year. I'm sure if you look at Catholic feeder schools in your area you will find 1 or 2. It may be a practice that is dying out, however, as many parents are now just starting kindergarten when their child will be the oldest in the class opposed to the youngest.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
"Common" is definitely not the right term to use, but it is a practice that is used, especially for a kid whose birthday is late (or after) the traditional school year.

Almost every year there is at least 1 kid at SIJ in Hinsdale, or St. Johns in Western Springs who is doing their second 8th grade year. I'm sure if you look at Catholic feeder schools in your area you will find 1 or 2. It may be a practice that is dying out, however, as many parents are now just starting kindergarten when their child will be the oldest in the class opposed to the youngest.

If you say so. I have been very involved with Joliet area Catholic grade school athletics for the past 8 years and I cannot think of a single instance where an 8th grader from an area Catholic school repeated 8th grade for sports.

Reactions: Hillini74
If you say so. I have been very involved with Joliet area Catholic grade school athletics for the past 8 years and I cannot think of a single instance where an 8th grader from an area Catholic school repeated 8th grade for sports.
Usually it's a new kid that comes from another district or school and enters as an 8th grader ( or another grade).

Here’s a good article on the topic. It’s so common place in some places that states have introduced legislature to stop the practice. Midwest is just “behind the curve” on this tactic. Your kids are competing with kids 1 or sometimes 2 tears older than them. JT Daniels is one who homeschooled 8th grade. I bring him up because he’s in the news this week.

Didn’t read article maybe it states this but JT effectively undid his repeat year. He did do the repeat year but then when had opportunity to go to USC he accelerated the ending of his HS and graduated early putting him back on what would have been his original timeline for entering college had he not repeated.

It’s really common in the south and west. Sometimes 8-10 kids a year ar a single school in football and basketball powerhouse regions. Some of the parochial schools in California have even higher numbers. A friend just ran into it in east coast lacrosse too. So common is the right word. I worked with a kid from Vegas who had repeated twice for sports and he was light years ahead of his peers. Not saying it’s right. It’s just a fact.
Here’s a fun article from a few years back in NJ. 20-50% estimated of top tier athletes repeated. https://www.nj.com/sports/2015/09/how_redshirting_is_changing_hs_sports.html

Last edited:
Reactions: RD_Watcher
Didn’t read article maybe it states this but JT effectively undid his repeat year. He did do the repeat year but then when had opportunity to go to USC he accelerated the ending of his HS and graduated early putting him back on what would have been his original timeline for entering college had he not repeated.
He likely only got into mater dei because he repeated. That and worked with one of the best Qb trainers in the country during his home school year. A lot went into the making of that young man.

In my observation, it is normally a kid who went from a public MS to a Catholic (private) MS, then went back to public HS. Off the top of my head, I know 6 families who have done exactly this, though one went out of state to repeat 8th grade. In all instances, the kid went from the younger side of his class to the older side of the next class. I do not no of anyone who has gone from private MS to private MS, to private HS. Only 1 family I know of went from public MS to private MS to private HS.

It’s really common in the south and west. Sometimes 8-10 kids a year ar a single school in football and basketball powerhouse regions. Some of the parochial schools in California have even higher numbers. A friend just ran into it in east coast lacrosse too. So common is the right word. I worked with a kid from Vegas who had repeated twice for sports and he was light years ahead of his peers. Not saying it’s right. It’s just a fact.
Okay, common can be the right word, but perhaps not as common in this area of the country. Then again, all evidence is anecdotal at best, so it may be more prevalent in our area than a lot of people realize. I've yet to see a study or investigative piece done on Red Shirt prevalence in the Chicago Metro Area. It would be interesting to see, for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT