ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking the Dukane teams

markmacaluso

Aug 19, 2018
Ok this isn't very scientific and won't apply a week from now so let's not take this too serious...

1) Batavia - 5- 0 - Clear front runner and odds on favorite to win the first Dukane conf title.

2) WWS - 4 - 1 - Lost handily to Batavia and perhaps they gave other teams a blueprint on how to beat them. That said, they are well balanced on O and D and everyone's entitled to a bad night. They convincing won against STCE (now have 2 of their toughest games behind them) and have yet to play STCN. They should feel pretty good with their remaining schedule and where they are now.

3 / 4) TOSS UP - STCE or STCN both 4 - 1 - This gets decided this Friday at North. Fairly equally talented teams that know each other very well. No matter who wins Friday, I still see both of these teams going to the playoffs barring any major injuries. A win for STCN puts them in the argument for moving up to #2.

5) WN - 3 - 2 - Keep proving they can win close games. The defense is good and the offense is slowly starting to show signs of life? This Friday's game against WWS will be a good measuring stick.

6) LP - 1 - 4 - Hey they looked good against Metea right?..played a close game with WN. They do have a win.

7) GBN - 0 - 5 - This team is just not as bad as their record. Friday's game against LP could swap these teams' ranking spot.

8) Geneva - 0 - 5 - haven't shown any recent signs of life. Already eliminated from playoffs and the grumblings about coaching staff are getting louder each week. The kids keep playing though. No fun going to Batavia this week.

Big rivalry games this Friday! Going to be some tough sledding picking games this week for the drive to the Clown Cup . I think this will be “Separation Friday” for the Clown Cup.

Last edited:
Big rivalry games this Friday! Going to be some tough sledding picking games this week for the drive to the Clown Cup . I think this will be “Seperatuon Friday” for the Clown Cup.

Agreed!

My son plays for the Saints so I'm not sure I can be completely objective in these rankings or in my Clown Cup picks but yeah only 1 game has a really clear favorite. Yes, I'm outing myself as a bit of a "homer" that tries to be objective.

WN scoring a TD as time expired Friday night for a 2pt win hurt me in the standings since I think I was the only person who picked GBN in that game.

Agreed!

My son plays for the Saints so I'm not sure I can be completely objective in these rankings or in my Clown Cup picks but yeah only 1 game has a really clear favorite. Yes, I'm outing myself as a bit of a "homer" that tries to be objective.

Well you cannot pick against STCE then! Heck you have to make the call of the year (if the Feeto upset hits it’s mark) and pick STCE over Batavia when that game rolls around!!

What I have done with WV in years past (this year no DVC pickem so I don’t have to worry about it) is pick them sometimes, but mostly I would abstain from picking that game (I am very superstitious and I try and sit in the same seat area when good things happen and I move when bad things happen!)

I’d talk with commish Clown and see if he ok with that!!:) I’m thinking it shouldn’t be a problem since the winner is decided on a winning percentage basis? Then again on the flip side - I think I have a cousin playing in the WWS/WN game this week, and a nephew in St Charles;)

All fun!!

Reactions: markmacaluso
WN scoring a TD as time expired Friday night for a 2pt win hurt me in the standings since I think I was the only person who picked GBN in that game.

Yeah very unlucky. GBN seems to have gotten a lot better on offense these last few games.

A better question - WWS Offense vs WN Defense? Which has the upper hand?

And follow up question. WWS Defense vs WN offense? (I think I can answer this one on my own - but a big dose of Tolbert might be on the menu after watching the Batavia film?)

1)Batavia
2-3)Toss up on the St Chucks
4)WN
5)GBN
6)LP
7)WWS
8)Geneva(sucks to be them)
-and honestly, Lemont is the toughest team we've played this year..
-and a shout out to the Batavia Sophs for beating up on an over-hyped WWS squad..

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
At the half way point (and still a ton of football to be played)

1 Batavia

2 St Charles North (tough loss to a good BB team). If East wins over north they jump to 2

3 WWS - just due to the fact that they beat East head to head. If WWS loses to WN - they fall in the voodoo force rankings

4 St Charles East. Win this Friday and I put them as my number 2 Dukane team.

5 Wheaton North - good D. Can they generate enough points on a week in and week out basis?

6 GBN - they playing a lot better on offense and they didn’t have their bite at the Metea Apple and the only reason they are winless at present

7. Lake Park. - no comment.

8 Geneva - wow what happened? Geneva should have moved faster than LP and WWS in calling up Metea for scheduling non con games for this year.

1)Batavia
4)WN
5)GBN
6)LP
7)WWS
-and a shout out to the Batavia Sophs for beating up on an over-hyped WWS squad..

Tain - how was Naperville North in comparison to WWS? I saw a 24-24 game late into the 3rd and then Batavia took control and squashed North (41-24?).

WV was up 21-0 on North and then North went to the passing game nearly every play and managed to catch up in the second half. I was impressed with Norths passing game. They couldn’t run at all though.

Tain - how was Naperville North in comparison to WWS? I saw a 24-24 game late into the 3rd and then Batavia took control and squashed North (41-24?).

WV was up 21-0 on North and then North went to the passing game nearly every play and managed to catch up in the second half. I was impressed with Norths passing game. They couldn’t run at all though.
I'm just being honest and going on the eye test, NN vs WWS would be a pickem' in my book. WWS did not impress, especially with the incoming hype on both levels. As a Bulldog fan the only team I feared coming in was STN but seeing some of their scores it might not be as scary as I thought. Again, Lemont is the toughest team we have played so far..

Oh yeah , Geneva is in last place, didn't know if anyone knew it or not:)

1)Batavia
4)WN
5)GBN
6)LP
7)WWS

You don’t think dropping WWS under GBN and LP is a tad overkill? I mean do you seriously have either of those teams beating WWS?

1)Batavia
4)WN
5)GBN
6)LP
7)WWS
Wat...

I can only go by what I have seen, those other schools played us tougher. We didn't even have to pass against WWS and we gave them a TD. I think WWS is still living off their past while over shadowing WN who I think is tough just based on last year. The best playoff ending I've ever seen btw..

The St Chucks are always good and s/b good games.. It's nice to take it to them ever since some of their kids pooed on our new field 2 thanksgivings ago..

Batavia seems to get that ho hum respect on these boards which bugs me, it's ok though, everybody loves their own..

Btw, Geneva hasn't won a game and is in last place in case no one knew..

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
I can only go by what I have seen, those other schools played us tougher. We didn't even have to pass against WWS and we gave them a TD. I think WWS is still living off their past while over shadowing WN who I think is tough just based on last year. The best playoff ending I've ever seen btw..

The St Chucks are always good and s/b good games.. It's nice to take it to them ever since some of their kids pooed on our new field 2 thanksgivings ago..

Batavia seems to get that ho hum respect on these boards which bugs me, it's ok though, everybody loves their own..

Btw, Geneva hasn't won a game and is in last place in case no one knew..

Seems to me that you have some kind of axe to grind against WWS which is probably clouding your judgement. WWS thoroughly handled StC East the week before the Batavia game and the score wasn't nearly as close as the 27-14 final would indicate. And to rate WN ahead of WWS because of last year's team doesn't make a lot of sense. I agree that last years WN team was a very good team. I was at the their game against Batavia and I believe that WN was the better team that day, despite the loss. But that doesn't mean I would rank them ahead of Batavia this year. WN lost a ton to graduation from last year's team and this is a much different team than last year. Hard to take your "rankings" with any serious consideration based on the rationale you describe. I'm curious how you justify the WWS/StC East ranking based on their head to head result. Is it a case that if you didn't see it in person, it doesn't count? The great thing is, WWS gets to play WN, LP, GBN and StCN the next 4 weeks, so we will see how accurate you are with your rankings.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Seems to me that you have some kind of axe to grind against WWS which is probably clouding your judgement. WWS thoroughly handled StC East the week before the Batavia game and the score wasn't nearly as close as the 27-14 final would indicate. And to rate WN ahead of WWS because of last year's team doesn't make a lot of sense. I agree that last years WN team was a very good team. I was at the their game against Batavia and I believe that WN was the better team that day, despite the loss. But that doesn't mean I would rank them ahead of Batavia this year. WN lost a ton to graduation from last year's team and this is a much different team than last year. Hard to take your "rankings" with any serious consideration based on the rationale you describe. I'm curious how you justify the WWS/StC East ranking based on their head to head result. Is it a case that if you didn't see it in person, it doesn't count? The great thing is, WWS gets to play WN, LP, GBN and StCN the next 4 weeks, so we will see how accurate you are with your rankings.
I just don't understand the WWS love after watching them last week, no axe.. Especially the WWS soph love, sorry not much to love.. As far as rankings go, to each their own, I'm not looking for approval.. I'm just being honest, unlike some who think WN was better than Batavia last year.. C'mon..

I just don't understand the WWS love after watching them last week, no axe.. Especially the WWS soph love, sorry not much to love.. As far as rankings go, to each their own, I'm not looking for approval.. I'm just being honest, unlike some who think WN was better than Batavia last year.. C'mon..

Not sure where you get all of the "WWS love" as their hasn't been much of that, at all, on this board and I think there is one poster, ClownBaby, who mentioned the sophomore team. I think that's a stretch to call them over-hyped, based on one mention from one poster, so it certainly comes off like you have some issue with WWS. If you don't have an issue with them, I'm still curious how you"rank" them 4-5 spots below a team that they just beat handily the week before? Is this because St Charles East only lost to Batavia 7-0, last year? That seems to be your rationale on why you think WN is better, despite graduating over 40 seniors from last years team. And that's your idea of "being honest"? I can at least offer some justification on why I thought WN should have won that game last year (Short missed FG at end of first half by WN, dominate run game vs Batavia's D (over 220 yards rushing), both of Batavia's scores came on bad plays by a back up corner for WN, the second on a 4th and 13 with about two minutes to go in the game). I'm not saying there was a big difference in those teams that day, but I left the game feeling that WN should have won it, but give credit to Batavia for coming up with the big plays when they needed to. For what it's worth, I think Batavia has a great program and I respect what they have done. They were certainly the better team last Friday night and it was a good learning experience for the WWS kids to understand where they have to get to be competing for state championships, again. I'm just trying to understand your thought process to your rankings since you felt it was worth your time to post them and let people on this board know what you think.

Reactions: pjjp
Not sure where you get all of the "WWS love" as their hasn't been much of that, at all, on this board and I think there is one poster, ClownBaby, who mentioned the sophomore team. I think that's a stretch to call them over-hyped, based on one mention from one poster, so it certainly comes off like you have some issue with WWS. If you don't have an issue with them, I'm still curious how you"rank" them 4-5 spots below a team that they just beat handily the week before? Is this because St Charles East only lost to Batavia 7-0, last year? That seems to be your rationale on why you think WN is better, despite graduating over 40 seniors from last years team. And that's your idea of "being honest"? I can at least offer some justification on why I thought WN should have won that game last year (Short missed FG at end of first half by WN, dominate run game vs Batavia's D (over 220 yards rushing), both of Batavia's scores came on bad plays by a back up corner for WN, the second on a 4th and 13 with about two minutes to go in the game). I'm not saying there was a big difference in those teams that day, but I left the game feeling that WN should have won it, but give credit to Batavia for coming up with the big plays when they needed to. For what it's worth, I think Batavia has a great program and I respect what they have done. They were certainly the better team last Friday night and it was a good learning experience for the WWS kids to understand where they have to get to be competing for state championships, again. I'm just trying to understand your thought process to your rankings since you felt it was worth your time to post them and let people on this board know what you think.
Relax ole boy.. It's just football. I might start pulling for WWS for your sake..

You're worried about my thought process, I'm just a fan going on the eye test, didn't realize I have breakdown everything.. WWS did not look good last week and either did their sophs, that's all.. Hopefully they finish strong for you..

Btw, Geneva hasn't won yet.. There's your axe..

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I’m afraid Geneva might go 0-9.

They are for sure not winning this week (in fact I think it will be a running clock).

Rest of schedule:
* Wheaton North - loss
* Lake Park - ? Maybe, but still an underdog
* Glenbard North - ? might come down to the last game

Reactions: Tain33

Don't fear..........Geneva is going to go 0-9. We have been blown out in just about every game. Even though the easiest part of our schedule is ahead, I can't see us beating any of them. They will all be gunning for us to avoid being winless.

There is always next year.

Don't fear..........Geneva is going to go 0-9. We have been blown out in just about every game. Even though the easiest part of our schedule is ahead, I can't see us beating any of them. They will all be gunning for us to avoid being winless.

I feel for you Johnny! Hang in there! Maybe blow thru a Wadd of cash at the bar this Friday and only watch the game on streaming. I think there is hope the last 3 weeks and if not, as you say,... there will be a next year!

You and Greatgig have the two best names on the board!

I feel for you Johnny! Hang in there! Maybe blow thru a Wadd of cash at the bar this Friday and only watch the game on streaming. I think there is hope the last 3 weeks and if not, as you say,... there will be a next year!

Thanks. The wife and I are usually joined by several other Geneva alum at The Filling Station in Saint Charles after games. All of the sudden St. Charles fans like us and welcome us into their town's watering holes with open arms. I wonder why.

Why feel bad for Geneva?? Some of the most pretentious, whiny entitled folks you'll ever go up against.. Trust me, if it was the other way around you would not enjoy their company..

Relish in this Fox Valley.. cuz their sophs and frosh are pretty decent..

Go WWS please win for WWS2015

They are for sure not winning this week (in fact I think it will be a running clock).

Rest of schedule:
* Wheaton North - loss
* Lake Park - ? Maybe, but still an underdog
* Glenbard North - ? might come down to the last game

Not a hater but I think they go winless this year.

Why feel bad for Geneva?? Some of the most pretentious, whiny entitled folks you'll ever go up against.. Trust me, if it was the other way around you would not enjoy their company..

Relish in this Fox Valley.. cuz their sophs and frosh are pretty decent..

Go WWS please win for WWS2015

Wow, who needs to relax, little guy? Trust me, I'll be fine whether WWS wins or loses this weekend. But nice try.

Reactions: Patzo
When it comes to Batavia, every team has a bad week. You just have to hope your team is on the schedule during that week and that you bring your A game too.

Falcons missed a chip shot field goal and a backup CB blew a 4 and 13 read. Not too hard to think WN was better last year. Falcons ran all over the Bulldogs. Cooper had a heroic finish. To the winners go the spoils.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT