ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Take: Hinsdale Central 35 Naperville Central 34

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
About as wild as a Week 1 game I can remember in a while.

Hins C offense had a terrific first drive that led to a TD ran the football extremely well and RB Luke Skonka was sharp....then after that first drive the HC offense pretty much dried up until the second half.

Took the NC offense a few series but then the Redhawks go going and QB Payton Thorne had a terrific game here. Thorne, who is a bit slimmed down from last year was impressive in the pocket and ran the football about as well as I can remember and no question increased his overall speed this past offseason. Thorne also ran the Redhawks offense well and was able to run the attack, made great reads and adjustments when needed. Also RB Danny Hughes was the main threat in the running game along with soph WR Sam Jackson who saw a lot of touches out jet sweep plays. Senior WR Jared Suchevits is also a main target here.

Hins C was able to get it's passing game going a bit in the second half and creit the Red Devils for coming back from an early 3 Q 28-7 NC lead...HC basically just chopped away and was able to finish when it counted. I named HC QB Matt Rush as Player of the Game...he had a rough first half but hung in there and made some key throws in the second half.

NC? Tough was to lose with a fumble driving the field with under 2 min to play...and next is LW East at LW East next week. Ouch. I said a few weeks ago I would not be shocked to see every DVC team with at least two losses this regular season....yet despite the loss the Redhawks are for real I believe.

Hins C? Need to no question tighten up some things on D but this was also a top notch opposing offensive attack so....also look for QB Rush to get better from here on out and the Red Devils have some HUGE receivers and TE's. RB Luke Skonka is terrific but also came up injured mid 3 Q and that's a concern. RB Matt Bobak came in and filled in well so...

Both teams deserved early Top 30 rankings and both wills tay in the Top 30.

More next week in the Scouting Reports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News