ADVERTISEMENT

Q: Best Rivals Games in IHSA football....

LT vs Hinsdale Central is fierce in every sport.
Glenbard West and Wheaton Warrenville South used to be one of the best. Hopefully it will be back soon

Reactions: ClownBaby
New Trier and Evanston have met on the gridiron every year since 1913.

Although the football rivalry is not as intense as it used to be, this Friday evening's matchup in Evanston between two 4-1 teams is shaping up to be a doozy.

the JCA v. Montini rivalry has had some classics. Here's to hoping it hits again in 5a. or if this ESCC/CCL merger happens that would be fun. Many would point to the two state championship games as the favorites but I LOVED the Ivlow senior year game with the stephen dennis catch. Ivlow ran out onto the field and was instigating with the montini crowd. that was so much fun.

See from my perspective games like JCA/Provi and WWS/GBW aren't played on a regular basis so in my mind those sorta don't count....now if it's a segment called Rivalry Games You'd Want to See they would be at the top....

See from my perspective games like JCA/Provi and WWS/GBW aren't played on a regular basis so in my mind those sorta don't count....now if it's a segment called Rivalry Games You'd Want to See they would be at the top....

WWS and GBW have played regularly for the better part of 100 years and opened against each other every year from 1925-1976 until it was canceled due to the fights in the stands. It picked up again in 1988 and ran until 2006 when GBW back out. They played a 4 year contract after that but the new DVC scheduled forced WWS to drop the series. They will play again soon when they can get the scheduling to work out.

WWS leads the series 33-30-11

Reactions: Bowie50
Hillcrest v. Lemont is underrated I think. Last year Hillcrest walked right down Lemonts sideline with their whole team and flags. Total fun gamesmanship. Game went right down to the wire!

Seems like it is rivalry week in the DVC and the Dukane this week (Wheatons play, Batavia/Geneva play, WV and NV, NC and NN)

My favorites:

1 Waubonsie vs Neuqua - the war of 204.

2 Naperville Central vs Naperville North - the battle of Naperville.

And the really crazy news? They happen twice this year:eek:o_O

Although not having produced a number of high-profile games with a lot on the line, near SW suburban neighbors Evergreen Park, Oak Lawn and Reavis have played almost annually for 50+ years under multiple, different conference memberships. EP was out of the loop for a while when their enrollment really tanked, however.

New Trier and Evanston have met on the gridiron every year since 1913.

Although the football rivalry is not as intense as it used to be, this Friday evening's matchup in Evanston between two 4-1 teams is shaping up to be a doozy.

All correct except Evanston goes to NT for this big conference matchup.

ND/Pats is always rocking. At least top 5 rivalry in the state, no doubt in my mind.

Used to be Rita-Mt. Carmel hands down. In the 80’s & 90’s and I’m assuming before that. I think it has lost some luster & they aren’t even playing this year. Would be nice to crank that back up. I don’t know if the intensity could ever get to where it was, I don’t think they really draw from same areas as much anymore.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
Neuqua v Waubonsie at North Central...packed stadium, a lot of friends from Naperville Patriots, Chargers, and St. Raphael pee wee ball playing against each other, and some fun discourse among parents make it a special rivalry.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Used to be Rita-Mt. Carmel hands down. In the 80’s & 90’s and I’m assuming before that. I think it has lost some luster & they aren’t even playing this year. Would be nice to crank that back up. I don’t know if the intensity could ever get to where it was, I don’t think they really draw from same areas as much anymore.
I think the MC guys on here will agree that the next time SR and MC meet up will be pretty intense. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

WWS and GBW have played regularly for the better part of 100 years and opened against each other every year from 1925-1976 until it was canceled due to the fights in the stands. It picked up again in 1988 and ran until 2006 when GBW back out. They played a 4 year contract after that but the new DVC scheduled forced WWS to drop the series. They will play again soon when they can get the scheduling to work out.

WWS leads the series 33-30-11
Yep hasn’t played since 2006 and that’s exactly why I didn’t wouldn’t include it

Here’s a Twitter tidbit for ya, Edgy.

LAST YEAR, MY ALMA MATER, Belleville High School, installed artificial turf on the field. They named it Bob Goalby Field. I don't cry easily, but at the dedication ceremony, people said such nice things about me that tears came to my eyes. That never happened in golf. Even though I won the Masters, it's the memory of quarterbacking Belleville to a 6-0 win over East St. Louis High School in 1946 that thrills me the most. I still dream about it. As I see it, naming something after you in your hometown is the greatest honor a man can have.

Any game, any sport for that matter, between DeKalb , Sycamore, Kaneland and Yorkville.. The rivalries start at a young age(7/8) in football as they all are in the same league. I coached for many years at the Youth Level and remember a lot of the kids names from the other programs... It's a shame the conference is breaking apart next year.

Good point Edgy! PC really does not have a rival we play annually especially since we were the newest member of CCL Blue until Montini moved up. There is not the long standing rivalries like MC/SR, BR/Marist, etc. PC also does not have a neighborhood rivalry. Used to be LWE but that stopped years ago. I still want the Holy War back.

LWW vs LWC

Not as long a rivalry as some but a great one nonetheless

May have been tarnished a little with the closing of LWN and some LWC kids moving to LWW but as the LWC kids graduate and kids become 4 year LWW kids again, the rivalry will heat up once again!

Mississippi Valley Conference Championship usually goes through Highland or Triad. These 2 schools are only 10 miles apart on highway 40. Highland-Triad would have to be one of the better rival games regardless of records. Grandparents and parents are probably more historically into it than the players since making the playoffs is the ultimate prize for most high school teams.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Georgetown vs Westville in the Coal Bucket Game. Certainly not as long as a couple up north but over 50 years and going. Love the small town football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT