ADVERTISEMENT

Prairie Ridge 21 Waubonsie Valley 19 *FINAL*

MIKEFTB

Jul 7, 2001
Bolingbrook IL
I'm guessing by the score line that the Wolves went ahead 21-13 in the 4th and WV scored and tried to go for 2 to tie it....didn't happen..Warriors drop second straight after starting 5-0 and head to Naperville Central next Friday still with a chance to grab a piece of the DVC title...

WV will need to put up more than 19 points to have a chance next week. WV has only scored more than 21 points twice and one of those games the defense scored and the other was against a suspect Naperville North Defense. Could be tough sledding if they can’t sustain a few offensive drives

6A team beats 8A team is not a big deal when it comes to PR. Whats a big deal due to the success factor and multiplied enrollment are schools like Naz or Montini and others playing schools 2,3 or 4 times their boy student populations.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Also no mention of 6A Prairie Ridge beating 8A WV? Pretty impressive win

Weren’t they supposed to win though? They are ranked in the top 25 all classes and Waubonsie is not. Regardless yes I would like to think it is an impressive win and a quality win for PR. But doesn’t that mean WV would have to be in your others to watch to make it impressive?;)

There are many 8A teams that are parking cones and would lose to most 6A and 5A teams out there (I won’t mention any by name but one could even look inside the FVC and also in the Gold and in the Upstate 8 to perhaps identify a few. So just because a 6A team beats an 8A team - that alone does not make it “impressive”.

Last edited:
It's a little bit more nuanced than 6A team beats 8A team. It's back to back 6A champ and 6A favorite about even with good unranked 8A team. That'll help people understand what is meant when said the classes get better as they get larger.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Bones the bigger the student enrollment the more kids available for football and other sports which implies that that class should be better than a lower student enrollment class. The unfairness IMO comes in when the success factor comes into play only for open enrollment schools which punishes a lower class team for being successful but successful programs around the state are not. IHSA in effect punishes success for some and stands idly by when other successful programs dominate their respective class year after year. Enough said!

Bones the bigger the student enrollment the more kids available for football and other sports which implies that that class should be better than a lower student enrollment class. The unfairness IMO comes in when the success factor comes into play only for open enrollment schools which punishes a lower class team for being successful but successful programs around the state are not. IHSA in effect punishes success for some and stands idly by when other successful programs dominate their respective class year after year. Enough said!
You would think this is evident, but every year we get stuff like, "4A is better than 5A" or "7A is better than 8A" or when some top 6A school beats some one and done 8A school by a single score we hear how it reflects on the class. To me what you typed should go without saying, but sadly it doesnt.

As for the SF we had a discussion about it in the offseason. If you look at it like a modifier to the multiplier then it makes more sense. Some people have argued that the multiplier shouldn't be applied to every school as some don't experience extraordinary success. While some schools make a mockery of the multiplier. It's unfortunate, but no amount of tinkering with "solutions" is going to make all sides happy, nor both sides believe it is fair.

Although I don't know how I feel about the only solution to remedy this problem, I do acknowledge that a split is the lone way for both sides to see the post season as fair and equitable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT