ADVERTISEMENT

PC 31 - RB 14 Final

How did Providence end up in 4A? Seems like it wasn’t long ago they were 7A.
I’m not 100% sure but maybe they weren’t multiplied this cycle. Remember - if a team doesn’t win 3 playoff games in a 2 year cycle ( I believe 2021-2022 was this cycle) then the 1.65 multiplier is waived from their enrollment for the playoffs. So that could be why they dropped down to 4A.

I’m not 100% sure but maybe they weren’t multiplied this cycle. Remember - if a team doesn’t win 3 playoff games in a 2 year cycle ( I believe 2021-2022 was this cycle) then the 1.65 multiplier is waived from their enrollment for the playoffs. So that could be why they dropped down to 4A.
Thanks for the explanation. I never could follow that.

Said it earlier in the week that I had a feeling Provi was gunna win this one by 2 scores... They are clicking on all cylinders and a very dangerous team right now. Provi vs SF should be a good one next week on the Smurf Turf.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Providence in 4a is a joke. Facing Richmond Burton when a few years ago they were in 7a. Cmon.
Providence was most recently in 7A in 2014. They were in 6A in 17, 18 and 19. They are the largest team in 4A this year.

Providence in 4a is a joke. Facing Richmond Burton when a few years ago they were in 7a. Cmon.
Why is it a joke? Their enrollment is less than 700. Sure they recruit to keep their doors open. No one can say they pay tuition or anything else.

people gotta prove that stuff. And ya would think if it was really happening someone woulda posted a tuition statement, a blank check or something on here

they fit enrollment wise within the rules.

thing is they can “petition” up correct? Why didn’t JCA last year of PC do so this year? I think PC belongs in 7a or 6a… never smaller than 5a… competitive/tradition wise that’s where they belong

Why is it a joke? Their enrollment is less than 700. Sure they recruit to keep their doors open. No one can say they pay tuition or anything else.

people gotta prove that stuff. And ya would think if it was really happening someone woulda posted a tuition statement, a blank check or something on here

thing is they can “petition” up correct? Why didn’t JCA last year of PC do so this year? I think PC belongs in 7a or 6a… never smaller than 5a… competitive/tradition wise that’s where they belong
I’m not arguing anything about kids paying tuition. I understand that most privates don’t give financial aid. My argument is that public schools who can’t have kids come to their schools from 30 mile radius are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to winning titles. People can say “work harder, look at MS, LWE, Glenbard West” but those situations happen because people can move into those districts and afford it. They are the exception not the norm.

Reactions: Coalertown44

Their enrollment number per the IHSA is 858. That is the average of their enrollment for the 18-19 and 19-20 school years, which is the current years used. Their school website says their enrollment last year (21-22) was 771.
The school profile has not been updated to reflect their enrollment for 22-23.

A "few" years ago as in 2014. Time flies, huh?

In the past eight years, since they were last in 7A, in what class did PC belong when they failed to qualify for the playoffs in 2015 and 2016? In what class did PC belong in 2018 when they were knocked out by a public school in the first round of the 6A playoffs by a score of 35-0?

Cmon.

Last edited:
Funny think is nobody was complaining last year when pc was 2-7 with all of the same kids. They don't have any senior transfers like some other places. They have like 8 or 9 sophmores starting. The difference is the coaching staff. That's why programs are successful not because they are allstar teams.

Funny think is nobody was complaining last year when pc was 2-7 with all of the same kids. They don't have any senior transfers like some other places. They have like 8 or 9 sophmores starting. The difference is the coaching staff. That's why programs are successful not because they are allstar teams.
Amen.

14, 10 and 17 are their margins of victory. Certainly not anything to get worked up about. They are playing where the ihsa rules dictate.
I do happen to think that the ihsa counting the Covid year in their multiplier/waiver formula was a mistake, but that’s not the the fault of Providence, and to be honest I’m not 100% sure if it’s applicable to their situation over the past few years.

Reactions: LakeviewLarry
I understand you thought you'd inject some reason into this discussion, but some people are so married to their prejudices that at times it's a wasted effort. And who would have thought that success could be due to a coaching staff? Certainly not those with a particular axe to grind.

I’m not arguing anything about kids paying tuition. I understand that most privates don’t give financial aid. My argument is that public schools who can’t have kids come to their schools from 30 mile radius are at a huge disadvantage when it comes to winning titles. People can say “work harder, look at MS, LWE, Glenbard West” but those situations happen because people can move into those districts and afford it. They are the exception not the norm.
Work harder and smarter.

The blame does not go on the IHSA. It goes on the state government and the department of health. They were the ones who closed the state down in 2020 and 2021. They were the ones who made the decisions which limited the success factor Parameter for which you complain about today. Those freshmen who enrolled in 2020 are juniors today. No one could tell how good they would be since today’s juniors had only played one and a half seasons prior to the season. The only blame to place is on Pritzker and a Ezike… And every school system/parent/teacher who supported the extended closures.
Case in point, JJ McCarthy from Nazarene, now the starting quarterback at Michigan, enrolled at IMG so he could keep his skills sharp with better talent.
Then, again, we can bring up more nonsense from the decrepit teachers unions, who went on strike in 2019, thereby eliminating some of the Chicago public schools from the playoffs and messing up the brackets. Saint Rita was coming off a couple down the seasons, and thus the success factor was removed. They were dropped from 7A, where they had been for a decade, to 5A, their normal enrollment. In turn, Rochester, a 4A powerhouse, was bumped to 5A. Rochester proceeded to come within a touchdown of clocking St. Rita in the final before letting off the gas. Richmond Burton only proved hey were not capable of playing at the high-level they were purported to be.

Last edited:
Don't tell us, tell the IHSA.
The IHSA is not to blame here. All of the blame for the loss of success factor multipliers goes on the governor and the former Director of the IDPH. They are the ones who closed down the schools. The IHSA has done its job in trying to level the playing fields regarding this topic.

Last edited:
The blame does not go on the IHSA. It goes on the state government and the department of health. They were the ones who closed the state down in 2020 and 2021. They were the ones who made the decisions which limited the success factor Parameter for which you complain about today. Those freshmen who enrolled in 2020 are juniors today. No one could tell how good they would be since today’s juniors had only played one and a half seasons prior to the season. The only blame to place is on Pritzker and a Ezike… And every school system/parent/teacher who supported the extended closures.
Case in point, JJ McCarthy from Nazarene, now the starting quarterback at Michigan, enrolled at IMG so he could keep his skills sharp with better talent.
Then, again, we can bring up more nonsense from the decrepit teachers unions, who went on strike in 2019, thereby eliminating some of the Chicago public schools from the playoffs and messing up the brackets. Saint Rita was coming off a couple down the seasons, and thus the success factor was removed. They were dropped from 7A, where they had been for a decade, to 5A, their normal enrollment. In turn, Rochester, a 4A powerhouse, was bumped to 5A. Rochester proceeded to come within a touchdown of clocking St. Rita in the final before letting off the gas. Richmond Burton only proved hey were not capable of playing at the high-level they were purported to be.
I saw Richmond Burton against JCA last year and against Providence Saturday. RB could compete with anybody last year, this year not so much. Their line play fell off a little and their pass defense was non existent. The graduation of Brock Wood seemed like most of their fall off.

Reactions: USD24 and cigaros
From where?

The IHSA is not to blame here. All of the blame for the loss of success factor multipliers goes on the governor and the former Director of the IDPH. They are the ones who closed down the schools. The IHSA has done its job in trying to level the playing fields regarding this topic.
Agreed on who messed up playoffs in this state. But, the IHSA could have used a 2 year cycle to include the last 2 years that actually had playoffs to compensate. Moving the waiver from 2 years to 1 year as a result of what the government did had a pretty big affect on the middle divisions, especially 4A.

Reactions: USD24
I understand you thought you'd inject some reason into this discussion, but some people are so married to their prejudices that at times it's a wasted effort. And who would have thought that success could be due to a coaching staff? Certainly not those with a particular axe to grind.
I will say about coaching staff, the most jarring difference between RB and PC yesterday was the number of coaches. I counted 16 adults on the PC sideline (presumably 2 more in the box) and only 5 on RB‘s sideline. I do think the game flipped on the onside kick to start the half. Neither team was having success playing defense and the PC staff made an awesome call. Noll's wing T offense does not do well when down two scores.

Agreed on who messed up playoffs in this state. But, the IHSA could have used a 2 year cycle to include the last 2 years that actually had playoffs to compensate. Moving the waiver from 2 years to 1 year as a result of what the government did had a pretty big affect on the middle divisions, especially 4A.
I see where you’re going with that. However, the freshman who enrolled in school in 2020 are now juniors. They have not had the playing time or the practice time due to the pandemic. This does also put them on an equal playing field, as the public schools had the same restrictions. We can see from a Montini or Nazarene or Althoff Catholic how things have changed. Due to lack of success and incremental enrollment drops for the success factor to be applied, a program must actually be successful. None of this would be occurring or talked about had our governor and Director of public health not been so stupid in their responses to Covid. At this moment, we are merely talking about athletics. Illinois has shown to be one of the furthest behind in education loss due to the pandemic protocols, instituted by the supposed adults in the state leader ship. Much of this thread is demanding the HSA make up for the failures of the state. We should see some things even out next season. I completely agree that this negatively affects many kids in the public school system such as my son. However, we are in the semi finals this Friday going against a private school. None of our program are complaining about this. I am more pissed with the fact our state reelected the morons that put us here in March and later August, 2020.

I saw Richmond Burton against JCA last year and against Providence Saturday. RB could compete with anybody last year, this year not so much. Their line play fell off a little and their pass defense was non existent. The graduation of Brock Wood seemed like most of their fall off.
I was at the Providence/ RB game . Provi's lineman were just better. Offense and defensive. Very simple

I will say about coaching staff, the most jarring difference between RB and PC yesterday was the number of coaches. I counted 16 adults on the PC sideline (presumably 2 more in the box) and only 5 on RB‘s sideline. I do think the game flipped on the onside kick to start the half. Neither team was having success playing defense and the PC staff made an awesome call. Noll's wing T offense does not do well when down two scores.
I recall reading how Coach Knoll was an amazing coach! That very well might be true. He obviously keeps his varsity staff together and every other lower level staff must go coach other sports, work, or do their own thing.
The variety staff at Providence isn’t the 16 you see. That’s every Coach at every level. Some are simply cheering, some do film breakdowns, some are included on the varsity once their lower level season is complete. Everyone plays a role from Cheerleader to coordinator. All of which are vital not just in November BUT in all 12 months it takes to run a program.

Reactions: Gene K. and cigaros
I see where you’re going with that. However, the freshman who enrolled in school in 2020 are now juniors. They have not had the playing time or the practice time due to the pandemic. This does also put them on an equal playing field, as the public schools had the same restrictions. We can see from a Montini or Nazarene or Althoff Catholic how things have changed. Due to lack of success and incremental enrollment drops for the success factor to be applied, a program must actually be successful. None of this would be occurring or talked about had our governor and Director of public health not been so stupid in their responses to Covid. At this moment, we are merely talking about athletics. Illinois has shown to be one of the furthest behind in education loss due to the pandemic protocols, instituted by the supposed adults in the state leader ship. Much of this thread is demanding the HSA make up for the failures of the state. We should see some things even out next season. I completely agree that this negatively affects many kids in the public school system such as my son. However, we are in the semi finals this Friday going against a private school. None of our program are complaining about this. I am more pissed with the fact our state reelected the morons that put us here in March and later August, 2020.
I get the freshman have nothing to do with it, but the advantage of having no boundary doesn't change. I'd even say that bolsters my argument that there shouldn't even be a waiver. If the last 2 classes weren't good enough to win, why do the next 2 get the advantage of playing down? All I am arguing is the waiver is non-sense. Multiply and play in all cases. if your enrollment drops, you should drop, yes. But to get to move from 8A to 6A with no substantial change in enrollment.......where is the sense in that?

And yes, the results of this election were unfortunate. I gave up home in this state on that a long time ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT