ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Should the Big Ten pursue Texas and Oklahoma

ClownBaby

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2006
With news TX & OU are in talks with the SEC should Kevin Warren be on the phone today with Texas and Oklahoma and about coming to the Big Ten, they could offer similar amounts of money initially and a spot in Big Ten research consortium which is a big deal to the academic side of the of the universities. Plus with those two schools the Big Tens future TV revenue is much high then anything SEC could offer, not to mention it balances out the Big Ten's divisions in football.

West Division
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern
Illinois

East Division
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
MSU
Purdue
Indiana
Rutgers
Maryland

Last edited:
I don't like anything that would take away non-conference games. That's my standard.

After living down that way for the greater part of 4 years, I think the philosophies, history, politics and the like of that region differ too much with what exists in the Big 10+ areas. As a recent case in point, compare what happened last fall in those 2 states in regard to in-person learning and both HS plus college football seasons. I believe UT and OU would lean to align elsewhere with more like-minded places.

After living down that way for the greater part of 4 years, I think the philosophies, history, politics and the like of that region differ too much with what exists in the Big 10+ areas. As a recent case in point, compare what happened last fall in those 2 states in regard to in-person learning and both HS plus college football seasons. I believe UT and OU would lean to align elsewhere with more like-minded places.
Not to dig deeper, but I wonder if it's an effort by the TX state gov to stave off accusations of UT getting too okeway on his watch.

Last year the heads of the big 10 did not even want a season and I believe the last to begin the season.

If I'm UT and OU there is no way I'm letting those heads of the big 10 control if they are playing football or not.

How long before there are no conferences and just one large division?
Good bye NCAA
Agree 100%. The NIL agreement will take the top 25 teams and form a SUPER league, the other schools cant compete and will form their own league.
My guess is 5-6 years.

The answer is 10.

They play 12 regular season games. 9 can be played against all your conference teams.

To open the season you need to schedule your easy game to win to open the season. But Michigan stay away from Applation State.

Then you can play 2 strong non-conference teams.
So which 4 of the current 14 should go then?

So you would exile Penn state?
I thought about that too but they’re the newest. Not that I’m disagreeing but who’s the fourth if you turn to the originals? I’d rather keep 11 and oust Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska.

Last edited:
I thought about that too but they’re the newest. Not that I’m disagreeing but who’s the fourth if you turn to the originals? I’d rather keep 11 and oust Maryland, Rutgers and Nebraska.
I would just keep what they have. They have no issues scheduling non-con currently. If you want to expand number of non-con that's fine. You don't need to take out teams

Reactions: Gene K.
A lot of people believe that the major teams will breakaway and form their own league for football only. Something like 64 teams in 4 16 team conferences with 8 8 team divisions. All teams play 1 team from each other conference, 7 division games, 2 crossovers, conference championship followed by a playoff. Probably still have some bowl games to generate more revenue. Players will be paid directly.

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
If Texas and OU go to the SEC do you think the Big 10 + 4 takes a run at other Big 12 - 2 teams? Maybe Texas Tech and Oklahoma St or WVU? I do think they would like to expand into Texas but I wonder if they would want TCU or Baylor.

If Texas and OU go to the SEC do you think the Big 10 + 4 takes a run at other Big 12 - 2 teams? Maybe Texas Tech and Oklahoma St or WVU? I do think they would like to expand into Texas but I wonder if they would want TCU or Baylor.
None of those teams really offer anything that’s why you have to make the move early and try to lure OU and TX. If you can’t get the big dogs just stay where you’re at.

None of those teams really offer anything that’s why you have to make the move early and try to lure OU and TX. If you can’t get the big dogs just stay where you’re at.
I agree but many are speculating we may see four conferences of 16. If that is the case, what two teams do we think the Big 10 goes after if they can't get Texas and OU?

They will be around but I doubt they will have any control over power five (or four) football and basketball within ten years.
What would happen to the other sports at those schools that leave the NCAA for football and (men’s) basketball? Do you see the NCAA saying to them “you’re either all in or you’re all out, no halfway membership”?

Reactions: Gene K.
With news TX & OU are in talks with the SEC should Kevin Warren be on the phone today with Texas and Oklahoma and about coming to the Big Ten, they could offer similar amounts of money initially and a spot in Big Ten research consortium which is a big deal to the academic side of the of the universities. Plus with those two schools the Big Tens future TV revenue is much high then anything SEC could offer, not to mention it balances out the Big Ten's divisions in football.

West Division
Oklahoma
Texas
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern
Illinois

East Division
Ohio State
Penn State
Michigan
MSU
Purdue
Indiana
Rutgers
Maryland
I hate that we're even discussing this. As an Iowa State fan, it seems like they're scared of us since we're just finally getting good and now they want to leave. The pursuit seems fear-based. haha. Side note, If the Big 12 falls apart (which I hope is doesn't) I actually think Iowa State is a perfect candidate for the B10 since there's a in state rivalry built in and the geography makes sense and they're a land grant university like the other B10 schools.

Really don't think the Big 10 would be an option for Okla and TX. No traditional rivaliries and hurts their recruiting exposure. A move to the SEC allows them to retain the recruiting exposure in the south which has far better talent and depth. They're culture seems more southern to me and the Big 10 seems stogier than they would be comfortable with.

I hate that we're even discussing this. As an Iowa State fan, it seems like they're scared of us since we're just finally getting good and now they want to leave. The pursuit seems fear-based. haha. Side note, If the Big 12 falls apart (which I hope is doesn't) I actually think Iowa State is a perfect candidate for the B10 since there's a in state rivalry built in and the geography makes sense and they're a land grant university like the other B10 schools.

Really don't think the Big 10 would be an option for Okla and TX. No traditional rivaliries and hurts their recruiting exposure. A move to the SEC allows them to retain the recruiting exposure in the south which has far better talent and depth. They're culture seems more southern to me and the Big 10 seems stogier than they would be comfortable with.

Kansas could be a big 10 candidate if you look at the basketball side of things. But if Kansas does go to the big 10 they would dominate Illinois recruiting here over the Illini and DePaul.

Reactions: dapiech
The NCAA isn’t going anywhere.
I agree in the sense that the NCAA will still exist. The ncaa will be governing body over non-revenue D-1 athletics as well as D-2 and D-3.
Football, Basketball and Baseball will become a super league or a couple of leagues competing separately.
Why wouldn’t those sports separate? Basketball has been thumbing it’s collective noses at the NCAA for years. (See Kansas, LSU etc) Now we have moved to NIL and payment of participants.
What is there for them to govern?

Reactions: AmbroseBlack
The Power Five conferences in some way are likely to break away from the rest for one simple reason...money. If Big Ten schools have billion dollar media contracts, while Missouri Valley schools only have million dollar media contracts, how do you continue to deal with the paying players question? If a school makes no money, or actually loses money, on athletics should scholarships be reduced? Basically the Power 5 needs a different set of rules, whether in the NCAA or in its own group.

And the concept that players should be paid their worth is going to get real touchy...Baseball is a good example. Coming out of high school, baseball studs have multiple choices: 1) Scholarship to college of choice; 2) sign a minor league contract; 3) the independent leagues. Players beware...the minor leaguers who were living in their cars because they did not make enough money on their baseball contracts to afford housing may be the comparable. Tuition, fees, room board & books might be considerably higher than the rookie league contract...Of course, the partial scholarship might be comparable financially to the rookie league.

None of the lawsuits involve D3 schools, or Chicago State, or the vast majority of schools where athletics do not make money. The lawsuits are all Power 5 football & basketball where money is made...NIL will fix some of the problem, but the same rules will not work fairly for the Big Ten and the MAC financially...So the Power 5 needs to split for football & basketball...maybe a new basketball tournament where the Power 5 is one side of the bracket, and the 64 best of the rest of D1 basketball on the other side...Title game is the champion of each division. Football playoffs become division champions plus at large for probably a total of 16 schools...

So if in the end there is a new Super 64 team athletic association what teams get left out? I wonder where Houston, Cincinnati, Boise State, etc. end up?

Saban said this week that the Bama QB (who hasn’t started a game) has already made nearly $1 million from NIL. So, yes, I believe they do get left out. Very tough to compete against that.

B1G is pursuing Iowa State and Kansas

Iowa State asked to be on a call with Kansas, if Kevin Warren pursues ISU he should be fired on the spot they are the 2nd tier school in a small state you are already are in and offer absolutely nothing to the B10.

Colorado, Ga Tech,Virginia and North Carolina should be in the first tier of schools unless Missouri is open to switching.

Reactions: brucealmighy
Kansas could be a big 10 candidate if you look at the basketball side of things. But if Kansas does go to the big 10 they would dominate Illinois recruiting here over the Illini and DePaul.
Hahaha!! No

The B1G should be in the phone with UNC, Duke, Ga Tech & UVA. Outstanding academics
Outstanding hoops. Decent football.

Kansas plays in a small state (2.9m) meaning few eyeballs on the TV. Poor academics. Craptistic football program. Excellent hoops.

Hahaha!! No

The B1G should be in the phone with UNC, Duke, Ga Tech & UVA. Outstanding academics
Outstanding hoops. Decent football.

Kansas plays in a small state (2.9m) meaning few eyeballs on the TV. Poor academics. Craptistic football program. Excellent hoops.
If not, the SEC could swoop in for at least UNC, Duke and VA and probably turn its divisions into 2 10 a-team conferences or 4 5 team pods. Multiplication by Division.

From what I hear Oklahoma and Texas going to the SEC is about to go through.

I think Oklahoma can handle the move and will do very well. I have doubts about Texas.

I thought the schedules were already out. Do they get changed this year?

From what I hear Oklahoma and Texas going to the SEC is about to go through.

I think Oklahoma can handle the move and will do very well. I have doubts about Texas.

I thought the schedules were already out. Do they get changed this year?
Big penalties may occur if they leave before a Big 12 TV rights contract runs out after 2024-25 season. Nothing could possibly happen as quickly as this fall either.

I think it’s as simple that programs in the SEC can tell Recruits you’ll get more $$$ while your in college than any other conference.

I also assume the schools know that the playoff system is expanding so going 10-1 or better isn’t as important anymore.

If the Big Ten wants to poach a SEC school, the likely school to go after right now probably is...Texas A&M. If the Aggies truly are that livid that the SEC is bringing in Texas behind their back, the Big Ten would seemingly be the option...

How about the Super AAU Conference? 9 PAC 12 schools are AAU members (WSU, OSU, ASU aren't). Boot the slacker Huskers for losing the AAU membership, 9 PAC AAU members, Kansas & ISU gives 24 schools, all AAU members, from coast to coast in every major media market outside the SEC/ACC footprint...3 geographically logical divisions of 8. If the future is looking at conferences of 8 team divisions, why not three divisions to maximize media opportunity? A fourth 8 team AAU division is basically impossible unless the SEC and/or ACC is raided...

I was shocked to learn Arkansas has been in the SEC for already 30 years now, although it has really been an uphill climb in football, for sure. South Carolina was admitted at the same time. Missouri and Texas A&M are going on 9 years each. The remaining 10 member schools of the league formed back in the early 1930s! Vanderbilt is a real outlier, especially as it comes to its lower enrollment. Vandy endowment is #2 in the conference, however, far above the 12 schools below it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT