ADVERTISEMENT

OPRF Head Coach John Hoerster

OPRF Illini 96

Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
Oak Park and River Forest head coach John Hoerster suffered a serious heart attack last month while on vacation with his family. His heart stopped for 12 minutes - the equivalent of one quarter in high school football. Thankfully, he was able to survive and has a remarkable recovery. He is back at OPRF and will coach the Huskies' game vs Waubonsie Valley Friday night from the press box.

John is a wonderful man. Not only is he a very good coach, but he's probably a better educator. From what I've heard the kids enjoy playing for John and many also have enrolled in his English class.

Let's pray for John's continuing recovery.

His heart stopped for 12 minutes - the equivalent of one quarter in high school football.

You have to question his dedication. I was always taught to NEVER take even one play off. He took a whole quarter?

Oak Park and River Forest head coach John Hoerster suffered a serious heart attack last month while on vacation with his family. His heart stopped for 12 minutes - the equivalent of one quarter in high school football. Thankfully, he was able to survive and has a remarkable recovery. He is back at OPRF and will coach the Huskies' game vs Waubonsie Valley Friday night from the press box.

John is a wonderful man. Not only is he a very good coach, but he's probably a better educator. From what I've heard the kids enjoy playing for John and many also have enrolled in his English class.

Let's pray for John's continuing recovery.

Absolutely.

I read the title of this thread and the first few words of it after I opened it up, and I had a flashback to 2003. It was 15 years ago this week that his father, legendary Loyola HC and AD John Hoerster, died at the young age of 53 from a massive heart attack, just a few days before he was to coach the LA football team in their season opening game. .

Heart disease can be hereditary. Here's to hoping young John takes care of himself and avoids his father's fate.

It's a great day to be a Rambler and a Husky.

I've heard he's a really good man and certainly a terrific coach. Thoughts and prayers to he and his family.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT