ADVERTISEMENT

one friday night game this weekend

colbert

Oct 24, 2001
8-man semifinal playoff - River Ridge at Polo 7pm Friday, with winner advancing to championship at Monmouth College following week against Cissna Park/Milford vs Flanagan/Cornell Woodland.
A bit of trivia - Flanagan was first-ever state champ in Illinois - winning 1A in 1974.
With 14 teams scattered throughout the state, 8-man is still seeking its niche. Most squads are weak, but Polo and Cissna Park are legit.

I’ve never watched 8 man but it seems intriguing.

Has anyone made it big out of 8 man in Illinois or elsewhere? Is it a faster paced game losing the 2 linemen (I’m guessing yes, obviously, but more pace of play in space with fewer bodies on the field)?

We were always told that Saturday day games become popular in order to get teams into the "State" routine where most teams will be playing during the late morning/early afternoon timeframe.

A 20 degree temperatures swing from day to night (in most years) this time of year factors into it as well

8-man semifinal playoff - River Ridge at Polo 7pm Friday, with winner advancing to championship at Monmouth College following week against Cissna Park/Milford vs Flanagan/Cornell Woodland.
A bit of trivia - Flanagan was first-ever state champ in Illinois - winning 1A in 1974.
With 14 teams scattered throughout the state, 8-man is still seeking its niche. Most squads are weak, but Polo and Cissna Park are legit.
Add Hiawatha to the mix next year.

We were always told that Saturday day games become popular in order to get teams into the "State" routine where most teams will be playing during the late morning/early afternoon timeframe.
I heard that argument about playoffs on Saturday many years ago but obviously half the teams at state play on Friday so to get in playoff state mode you would think Friday would be the call for 1a/4A.
My guess is by the time you get to quarterfinals some of the distances to travel to play are not conducive to fans attending.
I mean work on Friday until say 430 home by 530 and gather rest of family for what could be a 30 minute drive to a road game or it could be a 3 hour drive or something in between.
Remember the visiting team basically gets to choose. Game time is set for Saturday afternoon always unless teams agree otherwise. Since home team is not traveling they Should be good either day. Road team is team that can veto a Friday night game. Technically home team can too but don’t see why they would considering state finals are On a Friday. And most teams play Friday night during season.
I assume it’s because of travel but probAbly the 1a/4A coaches have 32 different reasons why this week’s quarterfinals are all on Saturday.

Once a team has to play on a Saturday say for travel they are not going to voluntarily play on the following Friday and have a short week.

With the struggles they have each year I wonder why more CPS teams don’t do 8 man? I know years back a few teams tried it

I knew a few guys from my days in the military that played 8-man. They were all from small towns out west. This is the 2nd year for Illinois?

Probably the dumbest question ever asked on Edgy.....but we have 8-man football in Illinois?

Why is that a lame excuse? I don't of a coach who wouldn't want an extra day of prep work.

Since both opponents get the same time off, wouldn't that argument cancel itself out. My point is 17-18 year olds don't need an extra day to "rest up".

Reactions: USD24
I agree with the kids aspect. Kids would play on two days rest. However, I think coaches will always side with getting another day of prep time.
I used to love the Wednesday 1st round games (AKA 3 games in 8 days if you win Wednesday.)

It's not like JCA / JCHS was going to change their offense based on some different defensive sets and by that time of year everyone was so proficient at the offense that how they actually lined up made little difference. It was a minor adjustment in thinking.

I agree with the kids aspect. Kids would play on two days rest. However, I think coaches will always side with getting another day of prep time.

If you feel you have the better staff it’s an advantage I can think a of few times John Thorne put things in on Friday that changed games on Saturday. Me personally I prefer Saturday afternoon games since it’s not as cold.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT