ADVERTISEMENT

OL drawing DL offside penalty

johnndoe

Oct 19, 2019
A few times each game an O-line will raise up, looking to their sideline, in an attempt to draw the D-line into the neutral zone. I am seeing the penalty going one way or the other about 50% of the time. Anyone have a rule clarification to explain which side of the ball takes the 5-yard penalty?

A few times each game an O-line will raise up, looking to their sideline, in an attempt to draw the D-line into the neutral zone. I am seeing the penalty going one way or the other about 50% of the time. Anyone have a rule clarification to explain which side of the ball takes the 5-yard penalty?
As long as the hand is never down the OL can move freely. I've never seen it called as a false start, but I could imagine a ref could call it if they deem the intent to be deceptive

Reactions: USD24
Crete Monee’s line was jumping all over the place/shifting on Friday night. Clearly trying to get defense to jump. Calls began going against them later in the game

Their defense was also mimicking the JCA cadence in an effort to get false starts.

So long is the hand is either down - I’ve seen it down and they all turn but don’t move their feet or hand or up and don’t make a motion to the line, it’s not a foul. Usually it’s not intentionally trying to draw a penalty.

The OL can pop up and look around/towards the sideline as long as their hand isn't on the ground already. This is allowed so they can get calls from the sideline if a coach wants to audible or make a check. A lot of the teams though are trying to get the defense to jump. If the ref deems the movement as trying to draw the D offsides then technically it is a penalty for trying to simulate the snap. So if the QB is using a hard count/clapping and everyone pops up or shifts then it is illegal. It's pretty obvious to tell the difference as a lot of times the players don't even look towards the sideline and start clapping if the D jumps or complaining if it looks like they jumped and it isn't called.

Reactions: USD24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT