ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate: Week 6 Chicago Bears All Star Player of the Week

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Please post your worthy Week 6 IHSA Chicago Bears HS All Star Player of the Week here. Please include any stats and make a case for your candidate.

Thanks

Look, nobody likes when I go on and on about GW after wins. This win was a little different because we all know about Week 1 followed by four pushovers. GW faced their first chance to redeem themselves against a top 10 LT team.

I could put RB Ty Cox up for this as the junior put up 223 yards on 14 carries and two TDs. The kid on carpet looks like a world beater. He made crazy Brodner-like cut backs all night.

I could put up RB Dre Thomas who scored 1 TD and pounded 119 yards between the tackles where every yard seemed to come after initial contact.

But I am nominating Alec Pierce for a couple of reasons. First, the kid drew so much attention from LT, who played nickel packages all night, the he indirectly opened up the field for GW's rushing game. His TD catch on a 17 yard fade was standard procedure. He added another 35 yard catch against double coverage by out-manning two defenders during a key drive to open the second half. .

It was the other two plays that put him on a different plane. First was a key play while playing CB on LT's drive after GW went up 28-3. LT's Bryant methodically moved LT down the field throwing absolute darts all over the field. Hetlet put Pierce in at CB as LT approached the Red Zone and Pierce immediately halted the drive by breaking in front of LT's best receiver for a game changing INT at GW's own 5 yard line.

The next play came a few plays after the INT when Coach Sig dialed up a reverse to Pierce who blew through a hole into open field. Two different LT d backs had perfect angles on him but Pierce physically manhandled both players throwing the final defender to the ground to finish a game-clinching TD that brought out the 2nd teamers with 11:10 left in a 35-3 game.

Pierce's stats might only say two catches for about 50 yards and one TD plus 65 yards rushing and a TD and one INT on defense. But you can look at the other 400+ yards rushing and know that just his presence on the field opened up lanes that Hetlet and Sig exploited masterfully.

Is there a Defensive player of the week? If there was I would be a homer and dominiate 3 co players of the week for just one play.

WWS 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line with 28 seconds to go in the game with timeouts left to use and the score is 35-32 Waubonsie.

LB Kyle Schroeder #35 shoots a gap and disrupts the pulling OLineman and gets across his face, leaving DT/OG Connor Forrest #64 one on one with a WWS guard and stones the guard who falls to his knees and then he tackles and forces a fumble from the WWS Colombia bound RB, and LB/WR Chuck Robinson #8 recovers the fumble in the endzone for a touchback. WV takes over at the 20 and takes a few kneeldowns to end the game.

Nice teamwork boys! You saved the game and maybe the season to still be in contention for the playoffs with that play.

What is crazy is that it's a defensive play in a game with all offense and little defense that decided the game. Waubonsie over 500 yards of offense and WWS with over 450 yards of offense. Passing yards were nearly 700 yards between the teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: capnbillhitters
Drew Clippert - QB, Aurora Christian
28-39 passing for 509 yards (18 yards per completion) 6 TD, no INT.
I don't know how to calculate QB rating but those are strong numbers.

Critical win vs quality conference opponent Bishop McNamara on the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT