ADVERTISEMENT

Nominate: Week 1 IHSA Football Head Coach of the Week

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Once again I'm looking for the State Wide Week 1 IHSA Football Head Coach if the Week candidates. Feel free to post any name you feel is worthy and also please supply any backing information/stats etc to support your nominee. I will nominate one coach rom your nominee's for the Weekly Chicago Bears award.

Reactions: vanboeningrj
Was gonna say either Seneca or Kankakee and both already mentioned 👍

Ken Turner of Belleville West ended an 18 game losing streak in his first game leading the Maroons with a 33-28 win over Mascoutah.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
Derek Leonard (head coach) and Steve Buecker (defensive coordinator) for putting a running clock on the #2 in 5A Peoria Lions at Peoria Stadium on their opening night of their new turf. Apparently, the Rockets go fast on turf as well. All the while having their #1 quarterback sidelined with an injury from the preseason.

Leo’s HC…. coach Stevenson. Little Leo beat Bishop Max? When did that happen last?

Ya… I get it. Kankakee…. And I agree. But week one for Leo deserves a shout out if nothing else!

Reactions: kwamizee and SMC34
Got to go with JCA head Coach Jaws. His team preparation against a strong out of state opponent was fantastic.

Mike Jones, Libertyville High School. Big win over a very good, high projected Lemont team. Literally no one had Libertyville even with a chance. If you talk to Coach Jones about the teams new revamped off season work you will hear about their robust off season lifting and speed training put in place in January by the new OC Coach Shack from Gonzaga Prep (DC) that had a large number of kids committed 4xs a week at 6am since January. And Libertyville came back this year with their smallest senior class in program history and only 2 returning starters.

I think we need to throw Joe Sanchez in the mix. That was a real good win for a Barrington team that missed the postseason last year. Sanchez has been at it a long time and I thought he might hang it up, but he's back. He gets my vote this week.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Derek Leonard (head coach) and Steve Buecker (defensive coordinator) for putting a running clock on the #2 in 5A Peoria Lions at Peoria Stadium on their opening night of their new turf. Apparently, the Rockets go fast on turf as well. All the while having their #1 quarterback sidelined with an injury from the preseason.
That's what happens when you have chess-playing coaches against checker players. No slight against anyone meant here. Most ALL coaching staffs are at a great disadvantage when going up against Derek. In fact, since the Class 4A semifinal loss to Metamora in 2009, I only need some of the digits on one hand to count the number of times the Rockets have lost to a public school, and NO public school has beaten them in the post season. Check this out: including the 2010 postseason, Rochester has ONLY lost 4 playoff games-4 games-and ONLY lost to three football programs-twice to SHG, and once each to Belleville Althoff and Bishop Mac. And since joining the CS8 in 2010, the regular season has resulted in losses to only two public school members of the conference: Chatham Glenwood and Decatur MacArthur.

But malleus, how can you say Derek Leonard is such a great coach if he has lost to some private schools' programs over that same period of time: easy! All over the state, and as even reflected in past posts on this board, we hear the whining and complaining about the UNFAIR advantage that private school programs have over the public schools i.e., the recruitment argument. Using these detractors' logic, I guess that means the skill of the coaches of these private programs are less important. So, it's the all star players who defeat Derek's teams from time to time, not the game planning of the opponents coaches- GOT IT!!!!

To repeat - chess vs. checkers

P.S.
You people who have complained about private program recruitment on here, don't even attempt to argue the last point above. I assume you wouldn't wish to embarrass yourselves (or maybe you would)!!

Reactions: cigaros
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT