ADVERTISEMENT

No refs questions in a while,...

goomsback

Jul 29, 2011
Skokie, IL
So I'll post one:

How many schools in IL (varsity) do not have tick marks on the hashmarks ? I keep seeing fields in NY that don't have the tick marks and the measurements on obvious stuff is driving me bonkers.

Grass or turf? I've seen a few grass fields without marks.

OK, I'll ask one...In Friday night's sophomore game, our opponents had a player wearing No. 58 in the backfield. The brouhaha began as the opponents completed a short pass to the young man. Our coaches called timeout and questioned whether there should be a penalty for a pass to a player wearing an ineligible number. I asked one of our lower-level coaches if the player becomes eligible by reporting to the officials prior to the play. He said that unlike the NFL, that reporting to the official doesn't apply to high school football. Just curious as to the rule. Thanks.

OK, I'll ask one...In Friday night's sophomore game, our opponents had a player wearing No. 58 in the backfield. The brouhaha began as the opponents completed a short pass to the young man. Our coaches called timeout and questioned whether there should be a penalty for a pass to a player wearing an ineligible number. I asked one of our lower-level coaches if the player becomes eligible by reporting to the officials prior to the play. He said that unlike the NFL, that reporting to the official doesn't apply to high school football. Just curious as to the rule. Thanks.

You can not report a number in high school football. Should have been a penalty.

Reactions: chuck998

Where was the pass completed? If its a backward pass its all good, if hes downfield catching a pass then we have a problem. I will say sometimes we will let some of the numbering stuff slide on the underclass level if we are made aware ahead of time and can talk to the opposition about it(doesnt seem like thats the case here though), and even then its usually so #80 can play tackle or something

Where was the pass completed? If its a backward pass its all good, if hes downfield catching a pass then we have a problem. I will say sometimes we will let some of the numbering stuff slide on the underclass level if we are made aware ahead of time and can talk to the opposition about it(doesnt seem like thats the case here though), and even then its usually so #80 can play tackle or something

The pass was from the 5 to the 2. They lined up with 58 as the fullback. It was definitely a forward pass.

OK, I gotta ask...What is the deal with no penalty for face guarding this year? This is crazy to me. If I was a DB coach, it would change everything I taught. It was illegal for a reason. I would start teaching how to do it immediately and no one would every catch a ball. Seems to be a huge unfair advantage for the defense.

What about running backs cut blocking? I have seen it at the high school level this year from a few teams so I was wondering if I missed the boat on this one.

I have one. For school who don’t have play clocks, how is it kept on field. Can a qb ask the back judge how much time is left ?

The odds are the running back was not in the free blocking zone at the snap which would make it illegal. But if he was and the opponent were in the zone at the snap legal ,as long as the ball is still in the zone.

Back judge keeps play clock he should give a 5 second count where the QB can see it

I have one. For school who don’t have play clocks, how is it kept on field. Can a qb ask the back judge how much time is left ?
Time is kept on the field by the ref in defensive backfield, He will signal at 10 seconds left on play clock, and at 5 seconds he will start counting while extending an arm out and up from the mid chest area for each second. He is in QB's line of sight the entire time.

Ok so TE is covered by a WR. They then throw a screen pass to the TE behind the line. Is that legal?

Ok so TE is covered by a WR. They then throw a screen pass to the TE behind the line. Is that legal?
No, if covered at the snap he remains ineligible (unless touched by B or backwards pass). In the above OP case I would say this is grounds for Illegal touching which is 5 yards from the spot and loss of down.

No, if covered at the snap he remains ineligible (unless touched by B or backwards pass). In the above OP case I would say this is grounds for Illegal touching which is 5 yards from the spot and loss of down.
That was my take, Ref said as long as it’s a backwards pass it’s legal, needless to say I wasn’t to happy

Reactions: Ghostoftheghost
Did he say it was a "Backward Pass" ? Not a "screen pass" ?

The reason I ask is if it is a "backward pass" there are no eligibility requirements . Eligibility requirements only apply to legal "forward " passes

Last edited:
Insignificant, but i would like to know the rule relating to a players shoulder pads protruding from under their jersey(arm sleeves).
Is this really a rule, and if so, why?
What is the penalty for this?

Yes it is a rule. Penalty could be sending him off the field to an unsportsmanlike penalty on the head coach. Our crew just tells him to get them covered. Most crews do the same.
I would never venture to guess why some rules are in the book. This is probably a safety thing. We don't want hard plastic shoulder pads exposed , just my guess

Reactions: jcrewx7
Did he say it was a "Backward Pass" ? Not a "screen pass" ?

The reason I ask is if it is a "backward pass" there are no eligibility requirements . Eligibility requirements only apply to legal "forward " passes

He said it was legal because it was thrown behind the line of scrimmage. It was clearly a forward pass. Would agree if it were backward but was not the case. So consensus seems to be this was the incorrect ruling by the ref?

Reactions: Chief321
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT