ADVERTISEMENT

No more meatballs please...

Mateesen14

Nov 14, 2003
Regardless of site(hs football, basketball, ncaa football, whichever power rankings) I am sick of keyboard cowboys attacking writers for preseason rankings and opinions. Beth Long, Edgy, among many others give opinions and insight and provide a service to rank 25-30 teams before a snap has been played in a sport that has ridiculous year over year turnover. State a reason why you think a team you know a good deal about is under/over ranked without being rude and wait for games to be played. (Not directed at anyone on this site specifically) Pre-season rankings should be fun to learn about other teams, don’t believe a trophy has ever been awarded to #1 pre-season winner

Regardless of site(hs football, basketball, ncaa football, whichever power rankings) I am sick of keyboard cowboys attacking writers for preseason rankings and opinions. Beth Long, Edgy, among many others give opinions and insight and provide a service to rank 25-30 teams before a snap has been played in a sport that has ridiculous year over year turnover. State a reason why you think a team you know a good deal about is under/over ranked without being rude and wait for games to be played. (Not directed at anyone on this site specifically) Pre-season rankings should be fun to learn about other teams, don’t believe a trophy has ever been awarded to #1 pre-season winner

At least it means they read it? And in many cases I'm truly impressed they can actually read so...

Totally agree people love to complain about rankings like it matters when in no time you get to prove it on the field. I’m convinced that people who complain the most are just unoriginal try hard losers.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
I get your point about preseason rankings and opinions but some writers, well one, has neither. CG was the only team that came within a sniff of beating PR last year and they got zero cred in one expert’s view. The continuation of not recognizing CG by that writer has flowed over to 2018 despite positive views from others. I’m thinking she’s still reeling from a bet after CG lost to Provi in 2014.

I recall the Trib ranking Reavis #1 in 85 I think.They lost the first 6 games after many injuries then won the last 3.The Trib wrote a complaint about picking Reavis #1 lol.Argo during their storied run a few years back was picked to come in last.That fueled the Argonauts to a 8-3 record including first ever playoff home game, first ever playoff win & just a great year.They used that as motivation all year.

I get your point about preseason rankings and opinions but some writers, well one, has neither. CG was the only team that came within a sniff of beating PR last year and they got zero cred in one expert’s view. The continuation of not recognizing CG by that writer has flowed over to 2018 despite positive views from others. I’m thinking she’s still reeling from a bet after CG lost to Provi in 2014.

They actually had two close games with PR, correct? Anyway, as they say in the Bayou, "laissez les bons temps rouler, y'all"!).

I’ve always looked at rankings this way: If your coach or program spends so much time worrying about where your team is ranked based on someone else’s opinions you got bigger problems.

Coaches love to use the “we don’t get any respect aspect” but in the end it doesn’t matter to them either.

If you don’t like where your team is ranked, it’s really very simple, win games. Beat the teams on your schedule. If you win all your games, it won’t matter where you’re ranked. Your team will be a champion. In the end winning the last game of the year IS what matters most.

At MS we only care about the DSR! Does that even exist anymore?

Reactions: feeto
I don't read every post, but I haven't seen too much rudeness directed at the professional raters and writers. Sure, we all love our schools, and that's why we're here. Sometimes our passion is hard to contain, but it usually doesn't take the form of pure animosity. An obnoxious poster may take a shot, but that's the nature of the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT