ADVERTISEMENT

NNFAN! Central vs North Baseballl...Game On!

MIKEFTB

Jul 7, 2001
Bolingbrook IL
Wednesday at Plainfield South.... 4:30.... Redhawks vs Huskies...winner takes on the winner of Plainfield North vs Lincoln-Way Central (Thursday @ 4:30) next Saturday at 11AM.....North has a long time habit of ending the seasons of many a Redhawks sports team come playoff crunch time....should be a good one!

Game on!

MIKEFTB

Plainfield South sectional and the disgraceful IHSA

The IHSA has done it again. In just about every sport other than football, the IHSA chooses to consistantly group the strongest teams together in overloaded regionals and sectionals. This years' Plainfield South baseball sectional is yet another example...

The eight teams include five teams ranked in the top ten by both the Chicago Tribune and Sun-Times, and the three other teams are among the top 20. Check this out...

Plainfield South Sectional

Naperville Central(#1), Downers Grove South(#2), Plainfield North(#5), Providence(#9), Naper North(#10), Lincoln-Way Central(#11), Waubonsie Valley(#18), and Lockport(#19). The same amount of top ten ranked teams as the other seven sectionals combined. Some sectionals don't have ANY ranked teams.

As for the game... NN must get a great pitching effort and play excellent defense to win. It will be hard to score runs against the Redhawk lefties. The Huskies will try to return the favor from last season.

Re: Plainfield South sectional and the disgraceful IHSA

I support you 100%, my friend. It most be annoying to some that every year a Central most likely will have to face a North in probably every sport during playoffs before a semifinal matchup.

I know the solution for football; should the Ihsa seed all the teams regardless of geography?

And I know this doesn't address the superloaded sectional question, but how 'bout no teams from the same conference shall not play each other until the third (3) round?

Well....I see your point NN.......but the problem is...the area is just so gosh darned strong in baseball...where else are you gonna send the teams?

Basically in 4A their lining up teams in the Will/Western Du Page County corridor....if you look at all the Sectionals they are geographical regios grouped together...

Remember a few weeks back we said whoever came out of this Plainfield South Sectional could be a strong favorite to win the state title because of the Sectional strength...they used 355 and I-88 as the boundries....

Same old...same old!

MIKEFTB

Do not make the mistake of discounting the teams up here in the north. Maine South has a very strong team, New Trier is always strong come tournament time....they won it last year over your Mighty St. Rita team. GBS could also make a deep run with Shawn Michols and Pat Guinane. And then off course you have Stevenson..#1 ranked team in the state who snuck by GBS 3-2. It will make for a very interesting tournament.

Oh, I'm aware of the strength coming out of the north, FB. A few weeks back we talked about NT...Stevenson...Maine South. All outstanding and contending programs.. My point was the area feeding into the Plainfield South sectional was very, very strong, and the winner has a great chance of winning a state title...Of course every team coming out of a Sectional has a great chance...that's why you play the games....and as you said, it'll make an interesting tournament....

MIKEFTB

I hear you! I think this may be one of the most exciting baseball season we've had in a while.

in sports like baseball and basketball where everyone makes playoffs, there is only so much u can do...football on the other hand where u must qualify for playoffs needs to be seeded properly

NNFAN- your crystal ball was correct, the Huskies just could not score many runs against good lefties, and Central has two of them. By my count North only scored 3 runs in 19 innings against the Central lefties. Hard to win many games that way.

However the tables will be turned next year, but Central is now 4 games away from the big trophy, so we aren't talking about next year just yet!
This post was edited on 6/3 12:19 PM by Redhawks fan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT