ADVERTISEMENT

New Lockport Head Baseball Coach

the porters77

Sep 18, 2007
The rumor I heard and the word I got in the halls of LTHS a couple of weeks ago was that Andy Satunis is next in line for the job. The person I talked to said it was very unlikely Lockport would go outside the building for a new coach. Satunis is young but has been in the program for several years. Nothing set in stone yet but it looks this way.

Witty:

I don't think it is a matter of whether they should or shouldn't. I am not sure they will. Coach Lyons is about the same age as Satunis and Satunis has been in the Lockport program for about nine or 10 years. I am thinking he will be next.

The other thing is this. In order to bring a new head coach in from the outside, a new position in the school will most likely have to be created for him. I am not 100% sure of that but again it is what I heard. You have a school that is having a major problem passing a referendum and creating another position may not be a very good move although I know it does happen from time to time. I don't know if Lockport is currently looking for a social studies teacher.

In short if it was me, I'd go with Satunis. He knows what's going on at the school and would hit the ground running much faster than anyone from the outside. My son played for him in baseball and football and loved him, which is what I hear from most people. He is very organized and is a good coach. He does know how to win. He is a hard worker and is enthusiastic, so I think the kids would get a lot out of him as far as going to the next level goes. I think he will prepare them.

We'll see what the future holds but I'll be surprised if Lockport goes outside the building this time.

Originally posted by Wittymoniker1:
Coach Lyons?? Should Lockport take a second look?

Coach Lyons will have a very tough time finding another job right now, especially being a history teacher. Which is probably why it stated in the article he is currently staying on as teacher at Rice. No one is hiring, and the few public school teaching jobs that are open are getting 500 plus applicants. There could be some Catholic school positions out there though.

UPDATE 06/23/2010

I talked to someone late last night who has been very influential in the Lockport athletics programs for years. He told me he talked to the AD at Lockport and recommended coach Lyons for the head baseball job.

Now we'll see how this turns out!!

Re: UPDATE 06/23/2010

I also agree with porters77 but, you need to understand Coach Lyons Family makeup: Lives in Evergreen Park with 5 young boys, will not send them to Evergreen Park High School, so he stays at Rice and teaches History and such and the 5 young boys go to Rice for free instead of paying 10K+ by the time they enter high school age. He continues to coach baseball at Lockport and all is better with the World.

I think Rice made a BIG MISTAKE here, they should have gotten rid of the Head Football Coach since he was the assistant recruiter and doesn't bleed the Maroon & Orange like Lyons does. Wake up Brother Rice Adminstration, or Marist, Rita & Mt. Carmel will suck your numbers dry!

City Prep Bowl Champs isn't just Good Enough anymore!!! Just ask Marist?

One thing I can guarantee you Julius, Lockport will NOT hire a coach to run a varsity program who is out of the building otherwise. Maybe it has happened in the past somewhere there but I can't remember it. I personally wouldn't want to see a guy outside the building running any varsity program. It is easier for those guys to go at anytime.

If they want him to come here to run a program I would think a teaching job will come with it. That was why I originally said I don't think Lockport will go outside the building again. Not right now anyway. And just because the guy I know recommended him for the job it doesn't mean he'll get an offer, I would think he'll at least get an interview. And then you never know.

Unlike a lot of schools I have seen out there, Lockport is a school that hires people to run programs with a long term commitment in mind with both parties. A lot of the varsity coaches have real staying power here. Kooi and Thompson have both been here for a long time and if you look at the baseball program before Stanicek came to the head job four years ago they had only two coaches run that program for the previous 35+ years. The softball program has had only two head coaches in its history which dates back to around 1971. The volleyball coach has been there 30+ years. Football has had only two head coaches since around 1964. I don't know how many schools can say that about so many sports. When they come here they usually stay for at least 20 years or so. This is one reason why I thought and still think Satunis is really the right guy for this job.

Julius . . . what are you talking about??? How does Nye not bleed Maroon and Orange as he is a Rice Grad? I agree with most of what your saying, but that comment seems way off base!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT