ADVERTISEMENT

New Bylaw proposals

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Always enjoy reading these ideas. They are proposals, some or none at all could be voted on. But always good to get an idea of what some want.

Some proposals:

reduce summer contact days down to 20
expand football playoffs to 48 teams per class, bye in week 9
language on football player ejections with video evidence

And a bunch of other stuff for pre-season football and other sports

Always enjoy reading these ideas. They are proposals, some or none at all could be voted on. But always good to get an idea of what some want.

Some proposals:

reduce summer contact days down to 20
expand football playoffs to 48 teams per class, bye in week 9
language on football player ejections with video evidence

And a bunch of other stuff for pre-season football and other sports
Not sure why people blame the number of contacts days in the summer. They are not mandatory and teams are not required to use all 25. What is the rationale to limit others contact days?

You forgot raising the enrollment limits for co-op. Could have rather significant impact on small class football

They should add this bylaw..

Every high school should have decent accommodations for visiting fans, say ample seating, parking and concessions or they can't host playoff games..

I agree that some stadiums really suck for visitors, but the logistics of them not being able to host games would be a nightmare. Where would the game then be played? Who or what metric is used to determine what’s ample, etc.?

At a minimum! Totally agree.
Benet plays at Benedictine University. Stands on only one side. But I would suggest the accommodations there are far superior to most stadiums.

Taft just built a new field. They have no room for bleachers on one side. They were able to handle the crowd last week with plenty to spare. They even had more porta-potties than I see when I tailgate at Soldier Field.

On the other hand, I have been to places where the visitor stands are small and low to the ground.

Benet plays at Benedictine University. Stands on only one side. But I would suggest the accommodations there are far superior to most stadiums.

Taft just built a new field. They have no room for bleachers on one side. They were able to handle the crowd last week with plenty to spare. They even had more porta-potties than I see when I tailgate at Soldier Field.

On the other hand, I have been to places where the visitor stands are small and low to the ground.

We played Benet in 2016 and although we were all on the same side; I didn’t necessarily feel cheated. I do however think that it kinda gives the home side (bench) the advantage of the 12th man. As a fan, I much prefer to be behind our bench.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
What will St. Ig's be doing for playoff games? I don't see how they can host a big semifinal game there. Are you going to turn away ESL fans that drove 5 hours to get there?

How is making the playoffs a participation trophy? In every other IHSA sport, every team makes the post season playoffs. Pretty sure there’s no trophy for making the playoffs.
Well for starters, many schools see making the playoffs as a right of passage while others consider it the biggest achievement. There’s the middle group that’s up and down. By expanding the playoffs it only minimizes the achievement.

that being said, expanding it only increases the number of first and second round beat downs that will certainly make those kids feel even better.
Re-vamping the seeds could be fun, but don’t increase them.
In my youth there weren’t 10th place ribbons

We played Benet in 2016 and although we were all on the same side; I didn’t necessarily feel cheated. I do however think that it kinda gives the home side (bench) the advantage of the 12th man. As a fan, I much prefer to be behind our bench.
Coaches have to love it not being able to hear all the idiots in the stands.

Last edited:
Well for starters, many schools see making the playoffs as a right of passage while others consider it the biggest achievement. There’s the middle group that’s up and down. By expanding the playoffs it only minimizes the achievement.

that being said, expanding it only increases the number of first and second round beat downs that will certainly make those kids feel even better.
Re-vamping the seeds could be fun, but don’t increase them.
In my youth there weren’t 10th place ribbons
When it was conference champs, 9-0, 8-1, and 7-2 with enough points it was a big deal.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT