ADVERTISEMENT

My Final 2021 Class 7A Top 10 poll..so for 2022 who's in and who's out?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Class 7A

1. Wheaton North 13-1 (2) Season Completed
2. St. Rita 11-3 (1) Season Completed
3. Brother Rice 10-2 (3)
4 Mount Carmel 8-4 (4)
5. Batavia 10-1 (5)
6. Prospect 10-3 (6)
7. Willowbrook 8-4 (7)
8. Jacobs 8-4 (6)
9. Hononegah 11-1 (8)
10. Buffalo Grove 9-2 (10)

So listed above is my 2021 Final Class 7A Top 10 poll...so which schools should stay and which schools should go for the Preseason 2022 Class 7A Top 10?

No order but Mt. Carmel, Batavia, Willowbrook definitely in. Wheaton North, Jacobs, Prospect highly probable in.

St. Rita with their first 3 games could be 0-3 at the start but have the talent to finish in the top 10 by the end of the season.

Brother Rice. Resume puts them in. Roster should put them in. But I don’t think their most loyal fans know what to expect other than they will play hard for 4 quarters.

No order but Mt. Carmel, Batavia, Willowbrook definitely in. Wheaton North, Jacobs, Prospect highly probable in.

St. Rita with their first 3 games could be 0-3 at the start but have the talent to finish in the top 10 by the end of the season.

Brother Rice. Resume puts them in. Roster should put them in. But I don’t think their most loyal fans know what to expect other than they will play hard for 4 quarters.
C'mon @RockSoup Really? Wheaton North? They will be borderline 4-5 / 5-4 this year. It's a revamp year for them...
I know we have a mountain to climb the first 3 games, but all of them are winnable, or we could go 0-3, but I'm confident that won't happen especially with our defense as a anchor.
BR on the other hand ❓ Big time..... Def. out....

C'mon @RockSoup Really? Wheaton North? They will be borderline 4-5 / 5-4 this year. It's a revamp year for them...
I know we have a mountain to climb the first 3 games, but all of them are winnable, or we could go 0-3, but I'm confident that won't happen especially with our defense as a anchor.
I agree with your call out. But, in my defense, this being only 7A teams are eligible, I had WN as a probable, albeit the use of the modifier ‘highly’ can be justifiably questioned.

As far as St. Rita is concerned, Edgy has always been fair in not worrying about ranking them high even if they are solid underdogs in 2 of their first 3 and a pick’em in the other. He don’t mind taking heat keeping them where he sees them no matter the early record. And since he will probably see them week one, he will have them slotted accordingly. And like yourself, I don’t have 1-2 or 0-3 written in pen.

As far as Brother RIce is concerned, just a hat tip to the amount of talent in the area that supports many schools and anyone that replaces them will have questions of their own. Is BR a 7A top ten preseason team? I have to say yes.

Curious on your thoughts on Wheaton North? I was under the impression they had two really strong classes back to back and even though they don’t return many starters they return a big group of kids that were key contributors last year and have good JR QB. Any info you can provide would be good.

Curious on your thoughts on Wheaton North? I was under the impression they had two really strong classes back to back and even though they don’t return many starters they return a big group of kids that were key contributors last year and have good JR QB. Any info you can provide would be good.
They got one of the top Linebackers in the State in Ross Dansdill (sorry if I spelled it wrong)

Reactions: Seyton and RockSoup
Class 7A

1. Wheaton North 13-1 (2) Season Completed
2. St. Rita 11-3 (1) Season Completed
3. Brother Rice 10-2 (3)
4 Mount Carmel 8-4 (4)
5. Batavia 10-1 (5)
6. Prospect 10-3 (6)
7. Willowbrook 8-4 (7)
8. Jacobs 8-4 (6)
9. Hononegah 11-1 (8)
10. Buffalo Grove 9-2 (10)

So listed above is my 2021 Final Class 7A Top 10 poll...so which schools should stay and which schools should go for the Preseason 2022 Class 7A Top 10?
1. Mt. Carmel (High expectations but the task will be difficult.)
2. Brother Rice (A good team from an excellent conference.)
3. Batavia (The DuKane League may fall back a bit, but Batavia seems to be the best of them.)
4. St. Rita (Consistent program but can they hang with the top teams?)
5. Benet (It could be a rebound year.)
6. Wheaton North (Hopefully the defending champion won't fall too far.)
7. Prospect (Truthfully, I don't know much about their prospects.)
8. Willowbrook (Establishing a tradition.)
9. Rolling Meadows (It should be a competitive battle for the Mid-Suburban East crown.)
10. St. Charles North (They try to repeat 2018 magic.)

I'm thinking Jacobs, Hononegah and Buffalo Grove will have a difficult time repeating their top-ten finishes. I've got Benet, Rolling Meadows and St. Charles North replacing them. The Mid-Suburban East race has many contenders (Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Buffalo Grove, Hersey) and is tough to predict.

Last edited:
I’d say MC / Batavia just about even at the top. WN got huge shoes to fill at QB. HE was the difference maker last year for them. if new QB can manage the game they will be good. Thinking 7-2 Just outside in top 10 7A. If Glenbard North ends up 7A (bubble) they will be in top 10

BR is replacing their entire O-Line and QB....not a good match up going against SR's experienced returning front 7, especially in week 2.....later in the year or playoffs it may be a different story, but not in week 2 for them.

2. Nazareth (The coach has quite a track record.)
3. Brother Rice (A good team from an excellent conference.)
4. Batavia (The DuKane League may fall back a bit, but Batavia seems to be the best of them.)
5. St. Rita (Consistent program but can they hang with the top teams?)
6. Benet (It could be a rebound year.)
7. Wheaton North (Hopefully the defending champion won't fall too far.)
8. Prospect (Truthfully, I don't know much about their prospects.)
9. Willowbrook (Establishing a tradition.)
10. Rolling Meadows (It should be a competitive battle for the Mid-Suburban East crown.)

I'm thinking Jacobs, Hononegah and Buffalo Grove will have a difficult time repeating their top-ten finishes. I've got Nazareth, Benet and Rolling Meadows replacing them. The Mid-Suburban East race has many contenders (Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Buffalo Grove, Hersey) and is tough to predict.
Naz was 5A last year, guessing they will be the same this year.

Reactions: Alexander32
1. Mount Carmel- I'm not saying 14-0 but with all the talent they have back, they can win State Title #14

2. Batavia- 2 High D1 LB's and a returning QB....rematch with MC for State?

3. St. Rita- Excellent Front 7 on D, O-line and RB's....New QB and K.B. is off to OSU....Brutal first 3 weeks but can make a deep playoff run if QB pans out.

4. Willowbrook- Same story, excellent offense back....but how is the defense?

5. Wheaton North- New QB has huge shoes to fill but one of the best LB's back with a good RB. Well Coached team will do well

6. Prospect- Build on return to Semi Finals last season

7. Br. Rice- D1 Roderick Pierce and LB Henry Ivers are good building blocks on Defense. New O-Line and enormous shoes to fill at QB. Solid WR corps. They have a rebuild but lot of talent still .

8. Jacobs- I don't know much but hear they will be good

9. WWS- Looked good versus BR.

10. Hononegah- Always good.

Last edited:
BR is replacing their entire O-Line and QB....not a good match up going against SR's experienced returning front 7, especially in week 2.....later in the year or playoffs it may be a different story, but not in week 2 for them.
whomever is at the helm at QB position will hopefully be running for his life week 2.... LOL

1. Mount Carmel- I'm not saying 14-0 but with all the talent they have back, they can win State Title #14

2. Batavia- 2 High D1 LB's and a returning QB....rematch with MC for State?

3. St. Rita- Excellent Front 7 on D, O-line and RB's....New QB and K.B. is off to OSU....Brutal first 3 weeks but can make a deep playoff run if QB pans out.

4. Willowbrook- Same story, excellent offense back....but how is the defense?

5. Wheaton North- New QB has huge shoes to fill but one of the best LB's back with a good RB. Well Coached team will do well

6. Prospect- Build on return to Semi Finals last season

7. Br. Rice- D1 Roderick Pierce and LB Henry Ivers are good building blocks on Defense. New O-Line and enormous shoes to fill at QB. Solid WR corps. They have a rebuild but lot of talent still .

8. Jacobs- I don't know much but hear they will be good

9. WWS- Looked good versus BR.

10. Hononegah- Always good.
MccCaravan,

Is it possible the Jr. QB starts for Rita this year? I heard he has the potential. Not sure if you're privy to this info.

Preseason could be:

1. Mount Carmel
2. Batavia
3. Brother Rice
4. St. Rita
5. Willowbrook
6. Wheaton North
7. Moline
8. Libertyville
9. Prospect
10. Hononegah

Hoping for health to all and watching a great season unfold.
Not sure if I agree with BR above SR at this point. But, I like the underdog role the Mustangs can play here.

I’d say MC / Batavia just about even at the top. WN got huge shoes to fill at QB. HE was the difference maker last year for them. if new QB can manage the game they will be good. Thinking 7-2 Just outside in top 10 7A. If Glenbard North ends up 7A (bubble) they will be in top 10
Sounds like the LWE/Batavia game in week two will be a huge test for both programs.

2. Brother Rice (A good team from an excellent conference.)
3. Batavia (The DuKane League may fall back a bit, but Batavia seems to be the best of them.)
4. St. Rita (Consistent program but can they hang with the top teams?)
5. Benet (It could be a rebound year.)
6. Wheaton North (Hopefully the defending champion won't fall too far.)
7. Prospect (Truthfully, I don't know much about their prospects.)
8. Willowbrook (Establishing a tradition.)
9. Rolling Meadows (It should be a competitive battle for the Mid-Suburban East crown.)
10. St. Charles North (They try to repeat 2018 magic.)

I'm thinking Jacobs, Hononegah and Buffalo Grove will have a difficult time repeating their top-ten finishes. I've got Benet, Rolling Meadows and St. Charles North replacing them. The Mid-Suburban East race has many contenders (Prospect, Rolling Meadows, Buffalo Grove, Hersey) and is tough to predict.
Prospect is gonna steamroll everyone in the MSL East with the exception of Hersey.

Reactions: stl705
Pekin brings back 2 1000 yd rushers and bring back everyone but a few linemen... they were in top 10 for a few weeks last year and were beat by Rockton by 3 in a hard fought game. I'll bet they are Top 10 all year. Don't sleep on them

1. Moun Carmel
Everyone else way below.
What could possibly go wrong? These kids destroyed everybody last year right? I anticipate seeing the greatest team to ever set foot on Illinois soil destroy all comers.
Go Caravan!

1. Moun Carmel
Everyone else way below.
What could possibly go wrong? These kids destroyed everybody last year right? I anticipate seeing the greatest team to ever set foot on Illinois soil destroy all comers.
Go Caravan!
Who’s Moun Carmel? I was waiting for you to give one of your famous late night “People are giving MC props, so I’m gonna bust on them” posts. They got 18 starters back from a quarterfinalist team, 7 D1 players and a 4 Star recruit at RB ...should we rank them 10th in 7A? Is there anything said about BR above that isn’t true about this season? Do they not have to replace your second coming of Christ at QB, the entire line, the TE, RB, and pretty much anyone who made them what they were the last couple of seasons? If you had them all back I’d put them #1....but you don’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckclassof2000
Wheaton North should be fine. Maybe a bit of a ground / pound attack. Defense will be key. Toughest spot they will have to replace is guys they lost in the secondary.

Last edited:
1. Moun Carmel
Everyone else way below.
Go Caravan!

I had to laugh at your impersonation of an avid Carmel fan, but here's something even funnier. The second coming of Jack Lausch is a sophomore at MC. How do you spell three in a row, three-peat or 3-peat?

Last edited:
I had to laugh at your impersonation of an avid Carmel fan, but here's something even funnier. The second coming of Jack Lausch is a sophomore at MC. How do you spell three in a row, three-peat or 3-peat?
He’s something else. I truly believe he hates MC more then he likes BR. His posts are normally over the top juvenile rips. If you call out BR on anything, whether it be legit or other, he will tell you to worry about your own school, then he’ll feel free to ignore his own advice and rip on MC. He’s a character, I was going to block him but I do tend to find him amusing.

There are some posters that tear into other schools and overly hype their own and when they lose they disappear, never to be seen again. But to this persons credit, he’ll disappear for awhile, but he always comes back....normally at 2:00AM on a weekend.

Last edited:

Just curious, how did you come to the conclusion that its a revamp year for them?

Reactions: ClownBaby
Unless hit by injuries, MC is going to roll all - including Loyola.
MC is like 2-8 their last 10 in Wilmette. The last 3 Freshman matchups between these teams literally went down to the last play
2019 MC W held Loyola at the goal line to win 20-14
2021 Spring LA won with TD with 6 seconds left
2021 Fall- MC wins when LA's 2 point conversation to win it on the final play failed.

Not going to mention the Soph games since MC brought up most of their talent while LA rarely does. But LA has handled them on that level.

I also think Rita is being underrated so far.

I don't think MC will go undefeated but I think they can definitely win State.

Wheaton North should be fine. Maybe a bit of a ground / pound attack. Defense will be key. Toughest spot they will have to replace is guys they lost in the secondary.

I saw them play in a few 7 v 7's and their QB and WR's look very sharp. Watch out for Joe Barna and Karsten Libby. Looked very impressive this summer. Both of which started on last year's championship team.

@Wittymoniker1 Jett(Jr. QB) more than likely will be the QB1. If it were me I would split the time until I see a clear cut QB1.
Just an add-on opinion on St. Rita’s QB competition, I get all the pomp and circumstance that goes with being a QB and being one your whole life, but man, I’d love to see Collins at edge, HBack or like a Pitts weapon. Just too good of a football player and body not to put tape out at those positions for the next level.

Edit: add disclaimer: I don’t see a rush to name either of the two QBs the starter. I know some may say if you have two QBs, you don’t have any. I just think with the team’s strengths being the running game, defense and the kicking game, the need to settle on one or the other can come around week 4 or 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: chakazulu89
Just curious, how did you come to the conclusion that its a revamp year for them?
anytime you lose a QB, WR and some O & D lineman, its a revamp. I don't care if you still have the LB core or Back that has played minutes... if those other soph/jr. didn't get sig. varsity playing time its mute....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT