ADVERTISEMENT

Mount Carmel will remain all boys

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I know it’s not Football related but when the initial announcement of this possibility came out a thread was posted immediately, I figured I’d start a follow up. An official email was sent today from the school. After 6 weeks and numerous open forum meetings and feedback, our Frat House on Dante will remain just that.

Last edited:
According to WGN Midday News today, MC should remain all-male through this coming school year and the next. Nothing mentioned about after that.

According to WGN Midday News today, MC should remain all-male through this coming school year and the next. Nothing mentioned about after that.
It’s gonna to be hard to believe this, but the news got it wrong. A small Block Club paper ran an article with some half cocked third hand info yesterday and the media grabbed a hold of it and spun it. Again shocking I know. A full email was sent to MC community today stating MC will remain an all male school.

If the enrollment keeps dropping it will be reconsidered.
The current enrollment has been about the same, give or take a few, for the last 5 or 6 years, so they’re steady, but they can’t handle another major drop, same as Rice and Rita. It’s not that kids are losing interest in these schools, it’s just the well of students to choose from is drastically shrinking from 10-15-20 years ago. Letting girls in at this point would have been an extremely high risk with an extremely low chance of reward. Let’s hope for the best.

I know it’s not Football related but when the initial announcement of this possibility came out a thread was posted immediately, I figured I’d start a follow up. An official email was sent today from the school. After 6 weeks and numerous open forum meetings and feedback, our Frat House on Dante will remain just that.
It certainly is football related to all HS football fans in Illinois. No 4a football titles for MC, they will have to settle for more of the 7a variety.

Reactions: feeto
The current enrollment has been about the same, give or take a few, for the last 5 or 6 years, so they’re steady, but they can’t handle another major drop, same as Rice and Rita. It’s not that kids are losing interest in these schools, it’s just the well of students to choose from is drastically shrinking from 10-15-20 years ago. Letting girls in at this point would have been an extremely high risk with an extremely low chance of reward. Let’s hope for the best.
Just curious as to why it would have been such a “high risk” with low chance of reward? Seemed like the following year (‘23) was a bit rushed for sure. Maybe a 4 year hype and marketing plan would have been better?

McCaravan:

Could you please find the link to the article to which you refer? If it's Block Club Chicago, it wouldn't surprise me they disseminated utterly false or even defamatory information.

Block Club is at the top of the DUNG HEAP of Chicago journalism.

As a product of an all male school, I applaud the decision. Congrats to the Caravan!
USD:

I agree. Though my wife and I were largely pleased with the experience and education our sons received at LA (co-ed for all three), neither one of us considered LA for our daughter.

To this day, I would have preferred LA to remain a single-sex school. That it did not carry on as an all-boy institution still causes some frustration for me. To others in my orbit, some anger still lingers among them over LA's decision to go co-ed. Both my wife and I believe in a single-sex learning environment, which is precisely why we came to the decision our daughter would go to Woodlands.

Neither one of us have any regrets.

USD:

I agree. Though my wife and I were largely pleased with the experience and education our sons received at LA (co-ed for all three), neither one of us considered LA for our daughter.

To this day, I would have preferred LA to remain a single-sex school. That it did not carry on as an all-boy institution still causes some frustration for me. To others in my orbit, some anger still lingers among them over LA's decision to go co-ed. Both my wife and I believe in a single-sex learning environment, which is precisely why we came to the decision our daughter would go to Woodlands.

I have one question. Why single sex?

McCaravan:

Could you please find the link to the article to which you refer? If it's Block Club Chicago, it wouldn't surprise me they disseminated utterly false or even defamatory information.

Block Club is at the top of the DUNG HEAP of Chicago journalism.

Reactions: MWittman
USD:

Just curious….. Was there a single gender (all boys) option for your 3 sons? Not many left here on the south side.

FBFANMOM:

Yes. My wife and I explored two options when we reached the stage for enrolling our sons in high school.

The first was LA; the second was Niles Notre Dame. Though my wife made the final decision and had seriously examined NND, we chose LA for several reasons. First, a majority of our sons' closest friends were destined for LA, proximity to the school, and academics. While I admit athletics was a lure for me, I had to pretend LA's curriculum outstripped its sports programs.

We weighed and visited Niles Notre Dame for one reason: My wife is a graduate of Woodlands Academy and she insisted a single-sex schooling environment eliminated numerous distractions both in and out of the classroom. She was right and we later enrolled our daughter at Woodlands.

When we discussed enrolling in high school with our oldest son, he was less than thrilled with the fact we were considering NND. In conversation with him, we learned his reticence was rooted only in the fact his friends were enrolling at LA.

Naturally, we listened to him, but we made the final call.

I have one question. Why single sex?
corey:

My wife graduated from Woodlands Academy in Lake Forest along with her two sisters. In my wife's view, a single-sex school does away with many distractions in a learning environment. At first, our daughter was uneasy, in large part because it was in Lake Forest (we live in Winnetka), but she had two friends from grammar school also go to Woodlands.

In my wife's mind, there was no alternative to Woodlands for our daughter. The wife went so our daughter went.

I can't complain. Of all my children, my daughter performed the best academically of the four and ended up attending Vanderbilt. The boys went to Drake, IU, and Madison.

Just curious as to why it would have been such a “high risk” with low chance of reward? Seemed like the following year (‘23) was a bit rushed for sure. Maybe a 4 year hype and marketing plan would have been better?
I firmly believe that we would have lost more male students then gained female students as a result of this, not to mention numerous donor support. I went to a meeting and I spoke to many many people involved and some good ideas were brought up and I have a better idea as to why they wanted to explore this but a move of this magnitude can't be made without major marketing and research among grade school females to gauge interest. I think the initial surveys to the area's that MC draws from were heavily pointing that there would be much, if any, interest from the current girls to go to Woodlawn to attend MC. I think we would have gained 30 girls and lost 80 boys as a result, now were down 50....just my two cents on it.

I think the initial surveys to the area's that MC draws from were heavily pointing that there would be much, if any, interest from the current girls to go to Woodlawn to attend MC.

Do you remember the neighborhood around Ignatius in the mid/late 70s and early 80s? There was an enormous CHA project (ABLA Homes) directly across the street from the school. The area was controlled by a gang and was basically lawless when Ignatius went coed. It didn't stop girls from coming from all over the city to that crazy effed up neighborhood.

Below you can see one of the ABLA high rises being demolished. A small bit of the original SICP building can be seen to the right of Holy Family church.

abla-homes-43a9ff91-2502-4336-8842-2361197b499-resize-750.jpg

Reactions: FBFANMOM
Do you remember the neighborhood around Ignatius in the mid/late 70s and early 80s? There was an enormous CHA project (ABLA Homes) directly across the street from the school. The area was controlled by a gang and was basically lawless when Ignatius went coed. It didn't stop girls from coming from all over the city to that crazy effed up neighborhood.

Below you can see one of the ABLA high rises being demolished. A small bit of the original SICP building can be seen to the right of Holy Family church.

abla-homes-43a9ff91-2502-4336-8842-2361197b499-resize-750.jpg
Absolutely correct @ramblinman. And guess what happened when Ignatius went coed? The fathers of daughters from Beverly and every other area under the sun sent their daughters down to Ignatius for a world class education. Through the same neighborhoods girls would travel through down to MC. Most of these co-Ed Catholic High Schools were single gender educators. Most rich in tradition……. I guess my point is polling 8th grade girls on wether they’d consider attending one of these rich in tradition all male schools wouldn’t get you very far to begin with. Schools like Loyola who had the luxury of merging with an all girls school most likely had a much easier go of it from the start.

Over the last 20 years The Chicago Archdiocese has seen their enrollment halved. 50% loss. What better way to combat these losses than to open up the offering to girls? Seems like a no brainer. MC has survived over the last 50 years and thrived in an area of the city that many people wouldn’t venture into. That’s about to change drastically over the next 10 years….. Woodlawn saw one of the biggest jumps in median home sales last year in the entire city. It surprises me that isn’t the biggest Marketing ploy for Mt. Carmel right now.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Can you expound on that a bit more, please.
Im not going to point out the internal stuff on a social open forum but pointing out the obvious, Catholic Schools on the South Side are in major trouble as far as enrollment. Catholic grade schools that once churned out 60 to 100 students per class are now graduating 25-60 students on average, with only half being boys. We have MC, BR, SR, Marist, Laurence, Ignatius, and DLS vying for their enrollment. The numbers these schools saw years ago will not be seen again any of the above mentioned schools especially the all male schools. So I understand looking into it but I’m just confident it wouldn’t have been successful in this day and age in our neighborhood. I understand from your above post that it worked for Iggy in the 70’s but it was a different time and it was also during the time of 100 student graduating classes at grade schools. They tapped into a necessary need for a Coed option, just like Marist did 20 years ago. I just can’t see girls from the areas that MC draws most from passing by one of the current Coed options to come to a school that, calling it what it is, is the last school anyone would think would house girls. Plus the draw we get from NW Indiana, which is large, would just go to Andrean that is Coed already.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Absolutely correct @ramblinman. And guess what happened when Ignatius went coed? The fathers of daughters from Beverly and every other area under the sun sent their daughters down to Ignatius for a world class education. Through the same neighborhoods girls would travel through down to MC. Most of these co-Ed Catholic High Schools were single gender educators. Most rich in tradition……. I guess my point is polling 8th grade girls on wether they’d consider attending one of these rich in tradition all male schools wouldn’t get you very far to begin with. Schools like Loyola who had the luxury of merging with an all girls school most likely had a much easier go of it from the start.

Over the last 20 years The Chicago Archdiocese has seen their enrollment halved. 50% loss. What better way to combat these losses than to open up the offering to girls? Seems like a no brainer. MC has survived over the last 50 years and thrived in an area of the city that many people wouldn’t venture into. That’s about to change drastically over the next 10 years….. Woodlawn saw one of the biggest jumps in median home sales last year in the entire city. It surprises me that isn’t the biggest Marketing ploy for Mt. Carmel right now.
I’ve been CPD for over 20 years. I’ve patrolled Woodlawn for many years and still occasionally do when I’m working a case and it has improved, absolutely, but the crime element strongly remains in that neighborhood. Many of the new buildings have been bought, but are now being rented out. I hope for continued improvement but the Obama Library, at the earliest, won’t open until 2025, and you know that means 2026. If you want to buy low in this area and bank that you triple your investment in 5-10 years, it’s a safe bet, but selling Dads to send their girls to school in an area that’s “getting better” will not suffice, it has to have “got better” and remain that way. That will not be the case in for he next 2-4 years. The neighborhood respects MC and their had never been any issues, but currently is what it is around there and it’s a tough sell to many Dads with their girls. And a boys mentality vs a girls mentality going there daily is a different mindset.

. Plus the draw we get from NW Indiana, which is large, would just go to Andrean that is Coed already.
Wouldn't it be easier or more convenient for the sisters to go where their brothers are going? If the brothers are going to MC and not Andrean, but their sisters are going to Andrean, why wouldn't the sisters go to MC? If the family headed by an MC alum sends boys to MC and girls to Marian Catholic, wouldn't it make sense for them all to stay in the MC family?

Wouldn't it be easier or more convenient for the sisters to go where their brothers are going? If the brothers are going to MC and not Andrean, but their sisters are going to Andrean, why wouldn't the sisters go to MC? If the family headed by an MC alum sends boys to MC and girls to Marian Catholic, wouldn't it make sense for them all to stay in the MC family?
If they have sisters....another glaring point is large families are pretty much done. 4-6 kids in a family was the average now people are having 1-3 kids. There are exceptions of course but very few and far between

Reactions: Topiary
I’ve been CPD for over 20 years. I’ve patrolled Woodlawn for many years and still occasionally do when I’m working a case and it has improved, absolutely, but the crime element strongly remains in that neighborhood. Many of the new buildings have been bought, but are now being rented out. I hope for continued improvement but the Obama Library, at the earliest, won’t open until 2025, and you know that means 2026. If you want to buy low in this area and bank that you triple your investment in 5-10 years, it’s a safe bet, but selling Dads to send their girls to school in an area that’s “getting better” will not suffice, it has to have “got better” and remain that way. That will not be the case in for he next 2-4 years. The neighborhood respects MC and their had never been any issues, but currently is what it is around there and it’s a tough sell to many Dads with their girls. And a boys mentality vs a girls mentality going there daily is a different mindset.
Smaller families is definitely part of the problem. What I haven’t seen mentioned is the economics of sending kids to catholic schools being the other part of the equation here. What is the plan at MC moving forward to keep enrollment at acceptable levels to sustain the schools future moving forward? I guess I’m asking what’s plan B?

Again, how do you explain the decisions of Fathers who send their daughters to Ignatius over the last 40 some odd years?

Ignatius over the last 40 some odd years?

Over the last 40 years or so, Ignatius has acquired a reputation as an academic all star. A certain amount of prestige attaches to the school, which makes it more attractive to students and parents. The more status a school has, the more selective it can be. Some schools lower standards to increase enrollment. Iggy did the opposite, a smart move but a counterintuitive one.

Iggy wasn't always this way. Back in the '60s and '70s, it was like any other Catholic high school in Chicago. Now, though, it has the luxury of being able to turn students away, and to charge $20k for tuition. Ultimately, though, it's the student, not the school. By which I mean that a good student will thrive almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Over the last 40 years or so, Ignatius has acquired a reputation as an academic all star. A certain amount of prestige attaches to the school, which makes it more attractive to students and parents. The more status a school has, the more selective it can be. Some schools lower standards to increase enrollment. Iggy did the opposite, a smart move but a counterintuitive one.

Iggy wasn't always this way. Back in the '60s and '70s, it was like any other Catholic high school in Chicago. Now, though, it has the luxury of being able to turn students away, and to charge $20k for tuition. Ultimately, though, it's the student, not the school. By which I mean that a good student will thrive almost anywhere.
Very well stated. Interesting thing regarding Ignatius are the rumors that they’re exploring “tuition optional” enrollment due to their success in their endowment fund. Has anyone heard similar rumblings?

Curious if you’re implying families would send their kids to Ignatius for their offerings and wouldn’t do the same to attend MC? That’s a valid point if it is.

Reactions: Silver Rain
corey:

My wife graduated from Woodlands Academy in Lake Forest along with her two sisters. In my wife's view, a single-sex school does away with many distractions in a learning environment. At first, our daughter was uneasy, in large part because it was in Lake Forest (we live in Winnetka), but she had two friends from grammar school also go to Woodlands.

In my wife's mind, there was no alternative to Woodlands for our daughter. The wife went so our daughter went.

I can't complain. Of all my children, my daughter performed the best academically of the four and ended up attending Vanderbilt. The boys went to Drake, IU, and Madison.
Fair enough. Good points but I think back to when I was in HS and it’s hard to imagine not having girls attend. To me it was part of growing up.

Curious if you’re implying families would send their kids to Ignatius for their offerings and wouldn’t do the same to attend MC? That’s a valid point if it is.

When I meet Iggy graduates, maybe once or twice a year, they act as if they graduated from Harvard. I am not impressed. I will concede that the school has a successful formula, but I prefer the championships. Besides, the teachers at Mount Carmel were outstanding. I got a good education in spite of myself.

When I meet Iggy graduates, maybe once or twice a year, they act as if they graduated from Harvard. I am not impressed. I will concede that the school has a successful formula, but I prefer the championships. Besides, the teachers at Mount Carmel were outstanding. I got a good education in spite of myself.
We had a short lived IT guy who I learned went to Iggy. I referred to it as such. And he corrected me. I did not give him the satisfaction of repeating his correcting but forevermore, I will Never call that school by its proper name.

Well back in the day, when Bob Foster was AD/Head Coach at Leo, he was charged with firing up the student body at a pep rally before a big rivalry game. He began referring to various teams of the CCL as body parts, starting with St. Ignatius as the head, referring to their reputation (even back then) as the brains of the conference. He continued on in this manner a few more times pairing schools with other body parts. Then, out-of-the blue, he identifies the rival school as the "a$$hole of the conference." The all-male, teen audience of the mid-1970s erupted in disbelief and spirit, before he supported the comparison when things settled down. True story.

In all sincerity, I hope this move works out for them. I have seen both sides of this (at LA). Although I think the move changed Loyola, I tend to think it was for the better. MC is a Chicago institution and I would hate to see them close their doors due to lack of kids. Here's hoping this move pans out for the best!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT