ADVERTISEMENT

Montini wrestling dominated!!

Anybody hear any news on Washington's (2A) 126# wrestler Joey Cape's injury? He had to default in the championship match to Lemont's Drew Nash.

Joey Cape (junior) is a defending 2019 champ (I think) and he has a VERY unusual wrestling stance that is very low that protects against opponents shooting on his legs.

In the 1st period Lemont's Drew Nash shot on his legs and this caused a pretty major helmet-to-helmet collision (minus the helmets). A couple of injury timeouts later Joey Cape was defaulted due to injury and was whisked away for medical observation.

I hope he's OK.

Reactions: Gene K.
Another Belleville Braunagel Brother won a title, giving them six golds and a remaining senior season. All four boys have state placed every year.

The redshirt freshman twins are captains for U of I presently, each ranked in the top 15 in the nation.

Villa Park is a real good youth program that filters right into Montini, and their coach is excellent and runs a farm program too. It will be Montini and Mount Carmel in the team State Championship in 3A, no other schools can touch their lineups from top to bottom. MC had two state champs, a second, two thirds, a fourth and a 5th place.

How about the 3 brothers who each won Class 2A titles for TF North yesterday?
The Bailey brothers are very good wrestlers. I didn't really care for their tactics of get an early lead and then stall, but all 3 are state champs.

I didn't really see the frosh Bailey match at 120 but watched the junior & senior Bailey's matches. The senior Bailey got up 4-1 early then stalled for 4 minutes earning 2 stall points for his opponent. At 4-3 with just under a minute left even the announcer said he risking another 3rd stall point award which the announcer said would be a 2 point stall then he scored a take down I think to win 6-3. Maybe that's a typical wrestling tactic, IDK.

Montini had a new record 5 state champions, 4 third place wrestlers and one 4th place in 3A. The wrestling program has 15 state championships over the years according to their twitter site. Their coach is Israel Martinez who took over the wrestling program from Coach Bu who now is the head football coach. Young men come from all over the suburbs to be coached by "Iggy". Iggy is a well known and respected teacher of wrestling in the Chicago area. BTW, one state champion (Roberts, a North Carolina recruit) came over to Montini from Yorkville H.S. this past year. Two other state champs were, Swier (Naval Academy recruit) and Ragusin (Michigan recruit). I don't know if the other 2 state champs, Fernau and LaBarbara are aligned with any college at this point.

Last year....

IzzyStyleWrestling produced....

10 State Champions
31 State Placers
41 State Medalists

Last year....Amazing

Another thing about Coach Iggy is he coaches Jon Jones, Holly Holms and Clay Guida.

Last edited:
Montini had a new record 5 state champions, 4 third place wrestlers and one 4th place in 3A. The wrestling program has 15 state championships over the years according to their twitter site. Their coach is Israel Martinez who took over the wrestling program from Coach Bu who now is the head football coach. Young men come from all over the suburbs to be coached by "Iggy". Iggy is a well known and respected teacher of wrestling in the Chicago area.
It’s Izzy.

hard to say more dominant, maybe as individuals, Montini won 8 team state championships under Bu
True, but Izzy is bringing them in from his own highly successful youth program. Yorkville 1006 is building that type of program now and it's starting to show in both Yorkville and Oswego's High school programs.

Another former Oswego kid. Good luck to him.
What do you mean by "former Oswego kid"? He has been at JCA all three years.
He grew up here, played in our Youth football program for a few years, his dad was one of my son's coaches as well.
Yeah I don't get it either. JCA certainly didn't recruit him due to their Wrestling Prowess 3-4 years ago. Although the team was pretty darn good this year. Not Montini good, but extremely respectable.

I'm not being critical that he attended JCA, merely stating he was from the area. I'm sure many can and do mention where an athlete started or came from if they know the athlete.

Reactions: USD24
Joey Cape (junior) is a defending 2019 champ (I think) and he has a VERY unusual wrestling stance that is very low that protects against opponents shooting on his legs.

In the 1st period Lemont's Drew Nash shot on his legs and this caused a pretty major helmet-to-helmet collision (minus the helmets). A couple of injury timeouts later Joey Cape was defaulted due to injury and was whisked away for medical observation.

I hope he's OK.
From the Illinois Matmen Forums: They said Joey Cape is home and feeling better but is still under doctor's observation. Apparently he suffered a couple seizures after the initial head-to-head contact.

True, but Izzy is bringing them in from his own highly successful youth program. Yorkville 1006 is building that type of program now and it's starting to show in both Yorkville and Oswego's High school programs.
Not taking anything away from Izzy Style, the most successful youth program in the state and possibly the nation, just stating the team facts.

It's a different world in that wrestling room at Montini. Not for the weak. Those kids work like crazy and you are 100% accurate they bring out the best in each other.
They are a force. Reminds me of Providence back in the 80’s and 90’s when they were just ridiculously stacked from top to bottom. It sucks for Mount Carmel....they are ranked in the top 20 in the nation and probably won’t win State because Montini is ranked in the top 5! Hell they couldn’t even win the Catholic League while being ranked in the nation. Should be a decent match though if they meet for the championship, it went down to the wire in December when they met in a dual.

If you've never seen either one, wrestling fans should check out the movie "Foxcatcher," a chilling true crime drama available on Amazon, or the equally good documentary "Team Foxcatcher," on Netflix. And then to really binge on wrestling, you can't go wrong with Micky Rourke, who won a best actor Oscar for his role in "The Wrestler."

Reactions: ignazio and USD24
MC could have stayed 2a and easily won a team title. Now they will likely take 2nd in 3a.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT