ADVERTISEMENT

Montini 2009

Another flashback Friday from 2009 Championship game
Still waiting for the 2pc to cross the goal line 11 years later.

just kidding. All the bad juju of that game was washed away in 2018. Montini deserved to win that day. JC’s young backfield coughed the ball up too many times.

2012 is the one I’d really like to get back.

some great games between these two programs.

Still waiting for the 2pc to cross the goal line 11 years later.

just kidding. All the bad juju of that game was washed away in 2018. Montini deserved to win that day. JC’s young backfield coughed the ball up too many times.

2012 is the one I’d really like to get back.

some great games between these two programs.
….with Fergie, Isaac and Jones on the sideline.

In the 09 game? If the hypothesis is that they should have been in on defense I really don’t know if that would have made a difference. I mean I guess Ferguson could have played corner but I don’t know if that would have been that much of an upgrade over a few they had. Probably not at all when you factor in him becoming a two way player. Isaac just a frosh and had to split snaps even on offense so he clearly wouldn’t have been the answer on defense. Jones really the only one where you could say he could/should have been at safety and even then, he was a soph in his first varsity season. Really don’t think any of those guys, as exceptional as they were, make a difference on defense in their respective frosh, soph, and junior years. Now 2010 or 2011 you can make a better argument. But in 2011 jones did play most snaps on defense too.

Funny because in the 2018 game I always felt Fedanzo should have been inserted into the game once the JCA O moved the.ball to the 40 yard line. Since we had great linebackers I would have inserted Fedanzo as a 4th linebacker and took out one of the 4 DBs. If JCA wanted to pass, although they never do, then be my guest.

I also would have inserted a bigger lineman at DE at the same time to replace our athletic lighter DE once the ball was on the 40.

Funny because in the 2018 game I always felt Fedanzo should have been inserted into the game once the JCA O moved the.ball to the 40 yard line. Since we had great linebackers I would have inserted Fedanzo as a 4th linebacker and took out one of the 4 DBs. If JCA wanted to pass, although they never do, then be my guest.

I also would have inserted a bigger lineman at DE at the same time to replace our athletic lighter DE once the ball was on the 40.
JCA played lights out in 2018, tho Montini could have won that game if they would have kept running the ball. JCA fans at the time were even wondering why Montini didn't keep running the ball. Fedanzo was getting a lot of yardage and wasn't stopped the whole game. JCA's running back (Iannone-possibly misspelled) gained over 300 yards too.[/QUOTE]

JCA played lights out in 2018, tho Montini could have won that game if they would have kept running the ball. JCA fans at the time were even wondering why Montini didn't keep running the ball. Fedanzo was getting a lot of yardage and wasn't stopped the whole game. JCA's running back (Iannone-possibly misspelled) gained over 300 yards too.

Nick Iannantone - Yep that was possibly one of the biggest performances on one of the biggest HS football stages ever from somebody unexpected.

JCA played lights out in 2018, tho Montini could have won that game if they would have kept running the ball. JCA fans at the time were even wondering why Montini didn't keep running the ball. Fedanzo was getting a lot of yardage and wasn't stopped the whole game. JCA's running back (Iannone-possibly misspelled) gained over 300 yards too.
[/QUOTE]

Gene, Yes Montini should.have ran more but what they needed was second half stops.

Freshman and.Soph year Fedanzo showed he was the best player on defense also. Therefore you put him in the game as a 4th linebacker to get stops when JCA is near the red zone. Four DB's were not needed at that point so take one of them out of the game.

Most games I have seen Montini come back and beat JCA in the playoffs they made defensive adjustments. I know Bu is more stubborn about changing the original game plan at halftime then when Andriano was around. Sometimes it's a good thing and sometimes it's not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Nick Iannantone - Yep that was possibly one of the biggest performances on one of the biggest HS football stages ever from somebody unexpected.
It was a huge performance but I wouldn’t say unexpected. He was a huge cog in the offense and was really underused because of hailey. Haileys injury really opened the door for him to be more than the change of pace guy. Had he been the feature back all season long I am positive he would have had close to the 3000 yards that hailey was at.

and yes, if montini keeps running the ball on their drive up 7 late in the third qtr then there is little doubt in my mind they go up two scores and win without JC threatening much. But they threw into the very stellar JC secondary and had it picked about 20 yards away from going up two scores.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT