ADVERTISEMENT

MC v LZ rematch

bmwmike

Sep 1, 2018
how many games did MC win during the regular season against playoff teams?

All but 1.
Ha, I think my question could be more clear. I know they played Loyola and Maine South. How many of the others 7 teams they played in the regular season made the playoffs? Sorry in advance if it is the same answer.

Including Providence forfeit, which I’m very confident they would have won regardless, they were 4-1. Lost to Maine South 21-13.

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
Ha, I think my question could be more clear. I know they played Loyola and Maine South. How many of the others 7 teams they played in the regular season made the playoffs? Sorry in advance if it is the same answer.

Not the question that should be asked. The question should be can LZ make this a game, Is LZ defense really back as you stated in another post or was DeKalb just pretending to be a good team. I think it will be close like last year. We shall see.

Including Providence forfeit, which I’m very confident they would have won regardless, they were 4-1. Lost to Maine South 21-13.
I was impressed with MC in the semis last year with that option game and line play (despite no. 27 seeming to have an off game for some reason). How do they compare this year? Are they overrated at no. 5?

Not the question that should be asked. The question should be can LZ make this a game, Is LZ defense really back as you stated in another post or was DeKalb just pretending to be a good team. I think it will be close like last year. We shall see.
Hard to say for sure b/c Dekalb looked like they had a good team with size and skill but i kind of got the impression that Dekalb's 8-1 record and rank might have been a tab bit misleading. The LZ defense held them to 1 first down and 38 total yards in the first half, which was pretty impressive to me. The defense has the ability to play very very well but probably not quite as lights out as last year's defense.

I was impressed with MC in the semis last year with that option game and line play (despite no. 27 seeming to have an off game for some reason). How do they compare this year? Are they overrated at no. 5?
27 was Arizona Diamondback Alek Thomas. He had a real bad Shoulder sprain he got in the quarters. He was more of a decoy that game. Listen there is no hiding they had an easier schedule this year but they are a very good team. Defense is in my top 5 that I’ve seen at MC. If you want to compare it to last years team they have 6 defensive starters back, their QB, 3 very good RBs, line averages 275, and this years #27 is very similar to Thomas. It will be a good game.

#36 Odeluga, Soph Linebacker, will have his choice of D1 colleges to choose from. He can go down as one of MC best

#36 Odeluga, Soph Linebacker, will have his choice of D1 colleges to choose from. He can go down as one of MC best
Interesting, LZ has soph Sanborn, MLB. Crazy that he is only a soph given his size and ability. Has an offer from Eastern Illinois and i am sure many more on the way. Senior Luke Dywer is another LB going to North Dakota State. I saw a video of him slam-dunking a basketball from way out. It was impressive. I wish they played on offense . . .

MC stomps LZ, getting in my prediction now. MC is better this year; players playing better, better offensive system, and better coaching.

MC stomps LZ, getting in my prediction now. MC is better this year; players playing better, better offensive system, and better coaching.
If that is true that they are much better this year you might be right. It will be interesting to see that new offense. But having offensive guys spread out and getting in space is actually what LZ's defense thrives on with its quick defenders. I always liked the Lenti "pound it right at you" offense which I think LZ's defense would have more trouble with actually. In the semis last year MC had one really long drive running right at LZ and LZ could not stop them even with older brother Sanborn in the middle. When MC tried to get outside and/or get in space it did not go well.

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
If that is true that they are much better this year you might be right. It will be interesting to see that new offense. But having offensive guys spread out and getting in space is actually what LZ's defense thrives on with its quick defenders. I always liked the Lenti "pound it right at you" offense which I think LZ's defense would have more trouble with actually. In the semis last year MC had one really long drive running right at LZ and LZ could not stop them even with older brother Sanborn in the middle. When MC tried to get outside and/or get in space it did not go well.
It didn’t go that well, we only scored once! The field was an ice rink, your receivers were falling down a lot or LZ probably would have scored another TD. MC blew a chance at the end, that’s football.

MC big in this one. MC been rolling all year and LZ struggled early but looking good again. MC just needs to stay focused and not looking ahead to ESL.

Reactions: McCaravan
[QUOTE="But having offensive guys spread out and getting in space is actually what LZ's defense thrives on with its quick defenders. I always liked the Lenti "pound it right at you" offense which I think LZ's defense would have more trouble with actually.[/QUOTE]

I’d say the week 2 result against Nazareth tells a different story.

Reactions: Bubba6568
That is a fair point, but one important fact is that LZ's offense was really, really ineffective. Same with the Warren game--seemed like the defense was out there 80% of the time. Those games would have been closer in my mind if LZ could have controlled the ball more like they did against Dekalb. Kudos to the coaches for making switches and at least giving them a chance now.

Lake Zurich’s offense has become more effective since Moses has moved to QB. I see Zurich pulling this out in a close one. Should be very interesting.

Last edited:
I saw all the MC scouts last weekend watching LZ's new quarterback very closely. He is the best skilled player on the team, so I am sure the MC coach is going to be harping all week, this is not the same LZ team that played Naz, etc.

I think LZ has to be the clear favorite here with the changes they have made and being at home.

I also have a question for bmwmike - are you a former Bulldog by chance?

Do you see him staying on defense? Didn't he play RB on the frosh level?

I see him staying on D but he could see some carries. He and Jayshown Moore were the backs on the frosh team last year in the veer. Now with the single back system, I think Moore would be slated as the starter next year. Odeluge could see some carries though (he did have a couple in the Laurence game) but primary position will be LB.

IMO LZ is not as good as LY and with the changes MC is probably better. I do believe the MC team LY really got everything and then some from their players.

This years LZ team is an enigma. Coaching and players are unpredictable. I’m glad to see Jack Moses back in at QB. The experiments throughout the season made it hard for any good chemistry and timing to develop. As someone noted, this is a different team than what Naz faced.

Having the game at LZ and with what looks like reasonable weather, it should be a good game.

Now about that avg 275 line (not a surprise)....how does that compare to DeKalb? LZ can get to be that big, but each player needs to carry 50# of sand onto the field.

I think LZ has to be the clear favorite here with the changes they have made and being at home.
sandbag_fever1.jpg

url

Do you see him staying on defense? Didn't he play RB on the frosh level?
Yes, he was phenomenal. Over 20 TDs. He’s top five in his class academically too. Special young man. I’m sure after the season they’ll include him in the discussions on where he’ll be playing. The other starting MLB Lance Swain is a junior and he’ll be returning and there are other capable options at Linebacker if he moves to RB. Like Dean said Ja’Shawn Moore is a Sophomore and can be a very capable, if not outstanding RB. If you watch MC it’s not a one man show in the backfield. Davis, Rias and Conjar are all getting equal carries and opportunities, you can’t just prepare for one guy. So I’m sure Odeluga will be in the mix offensively the next 2 years.

IMO LZ is not as good as LY and with the changes MC is probably better. I do believe the MC team LY really got everything and then some from their players.

This years LZ team is an enigma. Coaching and players are unpredictable. I’m glad to see Jack Moses back in at QB. The experiments throughout the season made it hard for any good chemistry and timing to develop. As someone noted, this is a different team than what Naz faced.

Having the game at LZ and with what looks like reasonable weather, it should be a good game.

Now about that avg 275 line (not a surprise)....how does that compare to DeKalb? LZ can get to be that big, but each player needs to carry 50# of sand onto the field.
Dekalb had some huge linemen. But in high school football, size on the line is meaningless to me, unless you have size and are a legit division 1 recruit. Those are the kids that are scary. I have seen plenty of huge lineman throughout the years that LZ defenders just zip right past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT