ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola AD Mahoney is out

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Wow. Just wow. Huge loss for Loyola and couldn’t of been treated better all these years by Pat

Also someone had this posted a day or so ago and I removed it...please understand that until I can confirm these various report etc I basically won’t leave a posting up that discusses someone’s livelihood well being etc in too many cases it’s false

Loyola AD Mahoney is out

I’ve also heard great things about Mahoney... Unfortunately he allowed things to get that far. In this day in age you can’t look the other way on anything remotely resembling harassment. Rightfully so.

I feel Loyola will be better for it.

I will use this as another example of "How can a school hire a young AD with no Varsity Head Coach experience?"
I was not a fan of Pat's hire as AD when he was a 30ish year old.
Came in and made brash changes quickly.
Firing/chasing out/not very nice to successful, LOYAL coaches (Carl Favaro, Ray Del Fava, Tanya Johnson, Brian Tucker) to get "his own guys"
IMO his arrogance has finally caught up with him.

I don’t know the too much of FC United but I’m familiar with their club. Always top notch teams. My experience with girls’ soccer comes from Palatine Celtic.

This would “never happen” in Palatine, meaning I always observed great respect for the female athletes by the staff. (Hell, Emina Z would probably castrate any male who acted a perv.)

The young athletes I encountered, I’d like to think, would report IMMEDIATELY any such behavior. And I can’t think of a single parent who’d suppress their legal or maybe even physical response to such allegations.

So, if the detailed statements attributed to the coach are true, and he was left unchecked, that is a toxic culture.

Reactions: SilverHelmets
The whole “it can’t happen at my school,” mentality is over. Mahoney did wonderful things at Loyola but along the way let his ego get in the way. Many twitter posts Didn’t put him or the Ramblers in the beat of lights.

But I will say if he was aware of the accusations then he needed to go.

Unfortunate in situations like this but when someone’s ego steps in the way and blurs the line between right and wrong, there is no place for someone like that in High School or any level of athletics.

Reactions: mullin17
Last night two LA Rambler alumni made their NFL debuts: Peter Pujols, QB for the Vikings, and James Murray, OL with the Chiefs. Both attended Holy Cross.

Reactions: MS4EVER
Wasn’t he also the commissioner of the Catholic League? Used to see his commercials when watching the U games on Friday Nights

I feel Loyola will be better for it.

I will use this as another example of "How can a school hire a young AD with no Varsity Head Coach experience?"
I was not a fan of Pat's hire as AD when he was a 30ish year old.
Came in and made brash changes quickly.
Firing/chasing out/not very nice to successful, LOYAL coaches (Carl Favaro, Ray Del Fava, Tanya Johnson, Brian Tucker) to get "his own guys"
IMO his arrogance has finally caught up with him.

Mullin17, take an objective look back at LA's athletic program as a whole. Beginning with where it was when Pat was hired and where it is now. Are you still "not a fan" of his hiring? From the outset, he had to make some very difficult decisions with regard to personnel. Many of those decisions were tremendously unpopular with the majority of Loyola's Old Guard and he full well knew it. Yet, he chose to make decisions based on what was best for LA athletics and it's athletes despite knowing that it was going to alienate him from their fanbase. He could've easily taken the easy route and retained/hired what was familiar, but he didn't. From an outsiders perspective, the integrity and courage demonstrated by his hiring's are EXACTLY what you need to lead a successful athletics department. Make no mistake about it, LA athletics have benefited from what you and Newt choose to refer to as his "arrogance". Call it what you will, he wore his maroon and gold heart on his sleeve and ALWAYS made decisions based on what was best for LA Athletics, not what was easy or pleasing to the masses.

LA athletics was dealt a major blow by Pat's departure and they are markedly weaker without him at the helm. Shame on Fr. McGrath and their administrative team for allowing him to leave. His unwavering loyalty to that institution was not reciprocated when it should've been because of the lack of principled fortitude of those in charge. His departure and the message that it sends about those leading Loyola Academy paints a clear picture. There is nothing great about being a Rambler this day!

Mullin17, take an objective look back at LA's athletic program as a whole. Beginning with where it was when Pat was hired and where it is now. Are you still "not a fan" of his hiring? From the outset, he had to make some very difficult decisions with regard to personnel. Many of those decisions were tremendously unpopular with the majority of Loyola's Old Guard and he full well knew it. Yet, he chose to make decisions based on what was best for LA athletics and it's athletes despite knowing that it was going to alienate him from their fanbase. He could've easily taken the easy route and retained/hired what was familiar, but he didn't. From an outsiders perspective, the integrity and courage demonstrated by his hiring's are EXACTLY what you need to lead a successful athletics department. Make no mistake about it, LA athletics have benefited from what you and Newt choose to refer to as his "arrogance". Call it what you will, he wore his maroon and gold heart on his sleeve and ALWAYS made decisions based on what was best for LA Athletics, not what was easy or pleasing to the masses.

LA athletics was dealt a major blow by Pat's departure and they are markedly weaker without him at the helm. Shame on Fr. McGrath and their administrative team for allowing him to leave. His unwavering loyalty to that institution was not reciprocated when it should've been because of the lack of principled fortitude of those in charge. His departure and the message that it sends about those leading Loyola Academy paints a clear picture. There is nothing great about being a Rambler this day!

Generally agree with your first paragraph. Emphatically disagree with your second.

Reactions: HRCJR and Bowie50

Just because personally "I am not a fan" does not mean Pat did some good things at LA. This is why I was not "a fan of his hiring" A 30 year old AD with no head coaching experience, HE made major unpopular decisions within successful programs (FB, WBB, MBB, and BB). He had zero experience running an athletic dept, ignored LOYALTY, and made waves in successful programs/coaches.

Yes, Holocek has worked out tremendously, but Pat's decisions in the other 3 programs have not worked out in the best interest of LA.

Using your philosophy (the integrity and courage demonstrated by his hiring's are EXACTLY what you need to lead a successful athletics department), Fr. McGrath and LA are doing exactly this. The unwavering loyalty you speak of from Pat? Ask Coach, Tanya, Ray, they were loyal too.

LA paints a clear picture because of his departure? I don't think message is clear.

"Yes, Holocek *(its Holecek by the way) has worked out tremendously, but Pat's decisions in the other 3 programs have not worked out in the best interest of LA."

Huh???!! Tom Livatino has done an excellent job in MB (THREE time CCL Coach of the Year). Jeremy Schoenecker has been great for WBB and Bridich has been great for Baseball (just named Coach of the Year). Pat was the heartbeat of Loyola and completely dedicated to his job. He oversaw 34 different sports and countless sectional titles,state titles- lacrosse, hockey, baseball, basketball, etc. There are countless Loyola graduates playing in college. Is he perfect? Is anyone perfect? Is he arrogant? I never saw that side of him.

Edgy I broke the story I apologize if I over stepped but I had numerous good sources that confirmed his firing before this article came out

mullin:

What makes you think Pat entered the AD's office with the purpose of dislodging coaches to put his stamp on LA's athletic programs?

Are you suggesting Pat possessed sole discretion to appoint and dismiss coaches? If you are, and it appears as if you contend this, you are lamentably uninformed about how the school operates and the boundaries from within Pat, or many ADs for this matter, was able to function.

Tanya Johnson was dismissed solely on Pat's volition? Are you sure about this? I make no claim of "inside information" at LA, but it is no secret the decision to remove Ms. Johnson was made above Pat and, while he may have supported her being shown the door, his largest role in her exodus was informing her of the decision.

Ray Del Fava? Sure he was unceremoniously kicked to the curb by Pat? It is my understanding the school prefers head coaches to lead one program. Ray was given a choice: He chose baseball over golf; and was later dismissed from the baseball position. Ray didn't do poorly leading the baseball program, but he wasn't setting the world on fire either.

Most important, Pat was not responsible for Ray's departure from his cushy job in development: Ray hand-tied his own noose by lashing out at Pat in the newspaper in the summer of 2006 after he was relieved of his baseball job. He was then shown the door by administrators who frown on employees drawing negative attention to the school. Once again, the decision to force an employee from the school was made above Pat.

In regard to Carl Favaro, it is true Carl was a longtime employee, but I would not apply successful or loyal so rigidly to the man. Carl led the wrestling program at LA for a number of years and did very little with it, never really developing a program. I am not such a LA "elitist" I can be accused of expecting LA to churn out state titles in every athletic program like spare keys, but Carl produced a 22-15 record while at the helm of the football program. Under Carl, the program was on a downward trajectory, and a complete mess. Carl's last game was a 41-3 blowout to MC in the playoffs. I don't think I need to remind you of how MC has fared against John Holecek since his arrival at the school. Furthermore, Carl coached football at another school (the school escapes me) prior to becoming LA's head football coach in 2003, and after he was removed as HC, he promptly fled to Lake Forest for several years. So much for loyalty.

Bryan Tucker? What makes you think he was some helpless victim of Pat's vengeance? Bryan is a proven coach, but Tom Livitano has a reasonably successful record. Moreover, it is entirely plausible Tucker was lured by money to land at Barrington, where he has actually produced a less-successful record then the one he furnished LA.

You make the claim Pat acted vindictively and ruled LA's athletic department like a Roman emperor, but offer little evidence to support it.

You may want to keep your emotions in check next time you post.

That Loyola can weather the termination of the Principal and the AD in a 2 month period is testimony to the power of the Jesuit brand.

Reactions: Gene K.
Pat Mahoney is the best AD Loyola has ever had.

Of all the Jesuit values - the concept of Magis (more) - is no better exemplified by any one person at Loyola Academy. Pat was an outstanding athlete himself at LA and was eager to return, bringing his education and experience back to campus. With as many sports LA offers, he led the Ramblers to be in a position of success for all of them - and supported them from morning to Midnight. Time and space do not permit us to review all his accomplishments here. It isn't the first time, and likely not the last, that a person of his success has been allowed to slip from LA's grip. I look forward to the future of Pat. And Ramblers everywhere should expect no less success from his replacement.

God bless Pat Mahoney!

He hired Jason Welch to lead the wrestling program. From the beginning, the hire seemed very "hit or miss". I'm not sure he finished one season before heading back to Cali.

That Loyola can weather the termination of the Principal and the AD in a 2 month period is testimony to the power of the Jesuit brand.

I think that Loyola will weather these moves, but how they weather them will really play over the next 6-8 months and beyond as they look to hire permanent replacements and those replacements take over. Way too early to say they have weathered it.

Also, I think that the power of the Jesuit brand you speak of is more specifically the power of the Loyola brand in this particular case. While the two are clearly related, they are definitely distinct brands.

I'm not sure if you guys should be pleased or insulted that very few outsiders inserted their opinions into the Mahoney issue.Personally, I was always impressed with the man. I usher at a Mass attended by numerous past and present LA parents and they always seemed to speak highly of him.

I'm not sure if you guys should be pleased or insulted that very few outsiders inserted their opinions into the Mahoney issue.Personally, I was always impressed with the man. I usher at a Mass attended by numerous past and present LA parents and they always seemed to speak highly of him.
Unfortunately, in this litigious / zero tolerance society we now live in, I don't think LA had any choice. Sad reality.

Last edited:
mullin:

What makes you think Pat entered the AD's office with the purpose of dislodging coaches to put his stamp on LA's athletic programs?

Are you suggesting Pat possessed sole discretion to appoint and dismiss coaches? If you are, and it appears as if you contend this, you are lamentably uninformed about how the school operates and the boundaries from within Pat, or many ADs for this matter, was able to function.

Tanya Johnson was dismissed solely on Pat's volition? Are you sure about this? I make no claim of "inside information" at LA, but it is no secret the decision to remove Ms. Johnson was made above Pat and, while he may have supported her being shown the door, his largest role in her exodus was informing her of the decision.

Ray Del Fava? Sure he was unceremoniously kicked to the curb by Pat? It is my understanding the school prefers head coaches to lead one program. Ray was given a choice: He chose baseball over golf; and was later dismissed from the baseball position. Ray didn't do poorly leading the baseball program, but he wasn't setting the world on fire either.

Most important, Pat was not responsible for Ray's departure from his cushy job in development: Ray hand-tied his own noose by lashing out at Pat in the newspaper in the summer of 2006 after he was relieved of his baseball job. He was then shown the door by administrators who frown on employees drawing negative attention to the school. Once again, the decision to force an employee from the school was made above Pat.

In regard to Carl Favaro, it is true Carl was a longtime employee, but I would not apply successful or loyal so rigidly to the man. Carl led the wrestling program at LA for a number of years and did very little with it, never really developing a program. I am not such a LA "elitist" I can be accused of expecting LA to churn out state titles in every athletic program like spare keys, but Carl produced a 22-15 record while at the helm of the football program. Under Carl, the program was on a downward trajectory, and a complete mess. Carl's last game was a 41-3 blowout to MC in the playoffs. I don't think I need to remind you of how MC has fared against John Holecek since his arrival at the school. Furthermore, Carl coached football at another school (the school escapes me) prior to becoming LA's head football coach in 2003, and after he was removed as HC, he promptly fled to Lake Forest for several years. So much for loyalty.

Bryan Tucker? What makes you think he was some helpless victim of Pat's vengeance? Bryan is a proven coach, but Tom Livitano has a reasonably successful record. Moreover, it is entirely plausible Tucker was lured by money to land at Barrington, where he has actually produced a less-successful record then the one he furnished LA.

You make the claim Pat acted vindictively and ruled LA's athletic department like a Roman emperor, but offer little evidence to support it.

I wonder if the change in LA's football fortunes vs MC had anything to do with a staff addition at StL?

mullin:

Because it happened while he was AD.

No, but the AD does have very influential suggesting power and brought it to the administrations attention.

Ray didn't do to poorly? Point proven.

Agree to disagree.

Downward trajectory and a complete mess?
Three years, three playoffs. Year before Carl with John Hoerster? 3-6 Agree to disagree.

Pat couldn't wait to get rid of Tucker to get his boy Livatino in.

This is your interpretation of my post, I just know that ADs have a huge influence on major sports programs and felt he aided in poor decisions.
Can't wait to check with you for posting my opinion.

Pat Mahoney is the best AD Loyola has ever had.

Of all the Jesuit values - the concept of Magis (more) - is no better exemplified by any one person at Loyola Academy. Pat was an outstanding athlete himself at LA and was eager to return, bringing his education and experience back to campus. With as many sports LA offers, he led the Ramblers to be in a position of success for all of them - and supported them from morning to Midnight. Time and space do not permit us to review all his accomplishments here. It isn't the first time, and likely not the last, that a person of his success has been allowed to slip from LA's grip. I look forward to the future of Pat. And Ramblers everywhere should expect no less success from his replacement.

God bless Pat Mahoney!
John Hoerster was the best AD Loyola ever had.
I hope my emotions are in check MWittman.

And we know your opinion. JH was great. Completely different era and circumstances. It’s clear you don’t like Pat. A lot of people do and care about him deeply. It’s not an easy situation and, in my opinion, Loyola lost a great advocate for its school and sports programs. Bowie said it best, it’s a zero tolerance environment for better or worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT