ADVERTISEMENT

Lockport Hires Czart as New Head Coach

Coach Czart is a good man.
He will get that program back on its feet.

Last week, I was just talking to someone who coaches at Lockport and he said Czart is getting the job. They were just clearing the way for him to have a full time teaching position.

LP has a freshman campus and a second campus, do the freshman practice at one location and everyone else at the other? In general I think this type of set up would be tough for any coach trying to build a program at a school.

LP has a freshman campus and a second campus, do the freshman practice at one location and everyone else at the other? In general I think this type of set up would be tough for any coach trying to build a program at a school.

All levels play and practice at the Lockport East campus.

Reactions: ClownBaby
Very happy for George was greatly impacted by the closing of LWN did his time and gets another head coaching gig I’ll have a 20 minutes podcastvas soon as I get back from Florida

Reactions: Bwm57
Great hire. One of Papa Seff’s disciples. Along with Kooi.

Hate to be a skeptic.
So Czart is A “Papa Seff disciple”? I am sure you just saying you knew he coached at Providence (4 years)so he must be a disciple. Don’t assume. And You know a lot about Kooi’s relationship (3 years) with Seff huh?

And on the wrestling topic “Healy disciple”?
Your a little off base. Brian Glynn owes his coaching style to Healy?

Maybe you know all these gentleman personally and I owe you an apology.

Hate to be a skeptic.
So Czart is A “Papa Seff disciple”? I am sure you just saying you knew he coached at Providence (4 years)so he must be a disciple. Don’t assume. And You know a lot about Kooi’s relationship (3 years) with Seff huh?

And on the wrestling topic “Healy disciple”?
Your a little off base. Brian Glynn owes his coaching style to Healy?

Maybe you know all these gentleman personally and I owe you an apology.
Statement was based on nothing more that these coaches have ties to some coaching legends from Providence. That’s all. Seff, Healy and I chat maybe once or twice a year at a golf outing or at the school. That’s the extent of my relationship with them. As for Kooi, Czart and Glynn - never had the honor of personally meeting them.

Statement was based on nothing more that these coaches have ties to some coaching legends from Providence. That’s all. Seff, Healy and I chat maybe once or twice a year at a golf outing or at the school. That’s the extent of my relationship with them. As for Kooi, Czart and Glynn - never had the honor of personally meeting them.
Sounds like you may have some historical information on these coach’s history with their mentors?

Sounds like you may have some historical information on these coach’s history with their mentors?

Having not knowing the “disciples” you were quick on your statement. No offense

Me? Historical? Not any more than you. Play the same golf outing, have the same conversations with the same people, but I just have observed and been around much longer. I just dont swallow the rhetoric.

I refrain from giving credit to someone if I am not sure they deserve it. Was Seff an influence? Sure. Be it an influence can work both ways.

All that being said- positively Czart will do an amazing job at Lockport. LW central made a huge mistake by keeping their poster boy and not hiring one of the best in the area. The LW district loss is Lockport’s gain. No question and any one that knows HS football will tell you this.

The influence on the field pales in comparison to what Czart does in the classroom and the positive influence he has in an entire school community!

Go PORTERS!

Reactions: Gene K.

Me? Historical? Not any more than you. Play the same golf outing, have the same conversations with the same people, but I just have observed and been around much longer. I just dont swallow the rhetoric.

I refrain from giving credit to someone if I am not sure they deserve it. Was Seff an influence? Sure. Be it an influence can work both ways.

All that being said- positively Czart will do an amazing job at Lockport. LW central made a huge mistake by keeping their poster boy and not hiring one of the best in the area. The LW district loss is Lockport’s gain. No question and any one that knows HS football will tell you this.

The influence on the field pales in comparison to what Czart does in the classroom and the positive influence he has in an entire school community!

Go PORTERS!
Having Czart at Lockport is excellent for that program. Although a resurgence for the Porters only makes things tougher on the Celtics in regards to attracting talent. Lol

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81

Go PORTERS!

Definitely agree with you on the LW loss. The LWC debacle is beginning to get bigger and it could have been avoided by retaining Czart.

Reactions: fbcoach70
Having Czart at Lockport is excellent for that program. Although a resurgence for the Porters only makes things tougher on the Celtics in regards to attracting talent. Lol

Definitely agree with you on the LW loss. The LWC debacle is beginning to get bigger and it could have been avoided by retaining Czart.
Well said! Having “draft day” and according to the scouting reports I have seen “wanting to lead the STATE in Hi-5’s and chest bumps” rather than solid scout information such as tendencies and personnel analysis. That ship is sunk.

The Celtics are in a tough spot. They can’t retain kids in the building, low numbers on their entrance exams, and a salty alum makes for rowing against the current a tough tough place to succeed

One thing we are going to find out is this. We'll see if Lockport's problems were due to coaching or lack of talent. I personally think it was the first scenario.

The Celtics are in a tough spot. They can’t retain kids in the building, low numbers on their entrance exams, and a salty alum makes for rowing against the current a tough tough place to succeed
Lots going on inside the four walls of the Emerald Isle to get through these tough times. Good progress so far but time will tell. Next year will be a good year barring injury but few years after that will be interesting.

Well said! Having “draft day” and according to the scouting reports I have seen “wanting to lead the STATE in Hi-5’s and chest bumps” rather than solid scout information such as tendencies and personnel analysis. That ship is sunk.

This is a crazy statement. So do you want a coach that creates excitement for his players, motivates them is a quality coach as well or not? The ship has sunk? LWC has gone to the playoffs each of 5 out of 6 of Cordell's years at LWC.

Ship has sunk pfffttt....

This is a crazy statement. So do you want a coach that creates excitement for his players, motivates them is a quality coach as well or not? The ship has sunk? LWC has gone to the playoffs each of 5 out of 6 of Cordell's years at LWC.

Actually, he's only been there 4 years, 3 years of 1st or 2nd round exits from playoffs. He was probably the biggest benefactor from the closure of LWN.

Talent is there. Stallions and Jr Porters have good players.
That really doesn't mean much. Just because a kid is a beast at the youth level does not mean he'll be one at the HS varsity level. I've seen too many kids who are world beaters when they are 12 and 13 then peter out when the get into HS.

Reactions: Hillini74

I am simply going off what I have observed. I am no expert but having seen a “rah rah” scouting report rather than one with solid data that would help players.

Rah rah creates “camp feel good”. Not a bad thing. But they had an opportunity to hire a proven winner in Czart and passed. Remember Czart was D coordinator for 3 state championship teams and started a top notch program only to have the rug pulled out from under him.

Your hiring a football coach; not a cheerleader moderator!

Lockport definitely made out in this situation!

As far as ship sunk- took couple hours for the Titanic to go down too.

Lots going on inside the four walls of the Emerald Isle to get through these tough times. Good progress so far but time will tell. Next year will be a good year barring injury but few years after that will be interesting.

The biggest problem they have is retaining quality coaches and keeping kids in there building. Numbers were pathically low on Sophomores last year. Maybe the underclass man on varsity last year will continue to grow!

Will they ever recapture the “glory days” odds are against it. Winning one state title every 5-8 years is sub par or at least if used to be.

JCA RESURGENCE, hiring of Czart at Lockport, and having LWE and LWW surrounding you strangles the talent pool.

Creating excitement, motivation, and fancy mottos or tshirt slogans don't win games. Doing all of the flair things and Twitter posts only goes so far. Alumni are getting tired of "just making" the playoffs at LWC. Huge miss on Czart back in 2016.

That really doesn't mean much. Just because a kid is a beast at the youth level does not mean he'll be one at the HS varsity level. I've seen too many kids who are world beaters when they are 12 and 13 then peter out when the get into HS.

Sure that happens and I have seen it as well. Having good youth feeder programs does matter, to think otherwise is foolish.

Creating excitement, motivation, and fancy mottos or tshirt slogans don't win games. Doing all of the flair things and Twitter posts only goes so far. Alumni are getting tired of "just making" the playoffs at LWC. Huge miss on Czart back in 2016.
I cannot echo your sentiments loud enough!

I would rather lead the state in 3rd down conversions that lead the state in “hi-5’s and chest bumps!”

I am sure that’s always the goal at schools like Mount Carmel, Maine South, LWE, and so on!

It’s laughable.

Ok we are getting off the topic of how exciting the hiring of Geo Czart is for Lockport! I apologize.

This borders on comedy. Coach Czart and Cordell were both already on the D210 payroll. No one was hired. Both are excellent coaches and leaders...with age differences. JC has been a HUGE improvement in four years at LWC. The hall of famer before..not as well. If you think back to this boards comments after LWN lost to WWS in the playoffs..well you folks should be ashamed of the treatment Coach Czart took. It is a LW210 thing to complain. Good luck to Coach Czart moving home to Lockport football. He will have his hands full.

Reactions: EdgyTim
This borders on comedy. Coach Czart and Cordell were both already on the D210 payroll. No one was hired. Both are excellent coaches and leaders...with age differences. JC has been a HUGE improvement in four years at LWC. The hall of famer before..not as well. If you think back to this boards comments after LWN lost to WWS in the playoffs..well you folks should be ashamed of the treatment Coach Czart took. It is a LW210 thing to complain. Good luck to Coach Czart moving home to Lockport football. He will have his hands full.

Funny I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing after the WWS disaster the fans at the game and on this board wanted him were ruthless and wanted him gone since he couldn’t win in the playoffs and stunk.

Partially true. Remember after the announcement of LWN closing, all the coaches had to apply again and interview for the remaining 3 jobs open. LWC had a chance then to take Czart (which he did interview for a head job to stay in the district then) and remove Cordell. Yes that would have been weird having Cordell for 1 year and then removing him, but it would have been the right decision.

Reactions: fbcoach70
Sure that happens and I have seen it as well. Having good youth feeder programs does matter, to think otherwise is foolish.
I am not saying a good feeder program is unimportant, I just said it doesn't mean that much. Lockport has had a good feeder program for years. So, how do we explain their awful seasons as of late? What I am saying is, you can't really put all the stock in that alone. When my boys played in HS I would say three quarters of the team and starters didn't even play youth football in Homer. That was definitely true for the guys who played on the line.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Talent is there. Stallions and Jr Porters have good players.
It would be important for some of these feeder kids to be able to PLAY FAST in addition to being "good." To get to 5 or 6 wins having to annually go through the "Big Three" on their schedule reminds me of the adage: "no wheels, no deals."

Partially true. Remember after the announcement of LWN closing, all the coaches had to apply again and interview for the remaining 3 jobs open. LWC had a chance then to take Czart (which he did interview for a head job to stay in the district then) and remove Cordell. Yes that would have been weird having Cordell for 1 year and then removing him, but it would have been the right decision.
I don’t see where “hiring” another elderly coach and philosophy after a legendary elderly coach had just set the program back 3 years, would have been the right decision. You have someone in Cordell who is a young innovative football mind who would be replaced after one season? That would have been a dumpster fire at LWC not to mention the LW210 district. That sounds even more laughable to bring Czart into that situation. LWC is by far the more youthful instructor based of the three remaining campuses... not to mention the leader academically as well. George Czart is a better fit currently for Lockport and I wish him well. Both of these coaches do things with class and professionalism.

I am not saying a good feeder program is unimportant, I just said it doesn't mean that much. Lockport has had a good feeder program for years. So, how do we explain their awful seasons as of late? What I am saying is, you can't really put all the stock in that alone. When my boys played in HS I would say three quarters of the team and starters didn't even play youth football in Homer. That was definitely true for the guys who played on the line.

That is the million dollar question, right? Why has Lockport been so poor of late? All of the ancillary stuff says they should be at least competitive. I don't know the answer to this but have they lost a lot of kids to Provi/JCA?

I wasn't putting "all the stock in that alone".
My point is a new HC would much rather have a solid feeder program than have a feeder program that is non-existent.

Sorry have to disagree
Feeder program means a lot. Your crazy if you think otherwise.

Reactions: Bwm57
Sorry have to disagree
Feeder program means a lot. Your crazy if you think otherwise.
Corey. I am not discounting them. But, I don't think they mean as much as you do. We can agree to disagree. BUT, I'd rather coach in a district with a strong feeder program than a weak one. There I will agree. The Lockport program seems to have blown that theory away with a good feeder program and a HS program that has sucked for years. Hopefully they turn it around in a hurry.

That is the million dollar question, right? Why has Lockport been so poor of late? All of the ancillary stuff says they should be at least competitive. I don't know the answer to this but have they lost a lot of kids to Provi/JCA?

I wasn't putting "all the stock in that alone".
My point is a new HC would much rather have a solid feeder program than have a feeder program that is non-existent.

LWE is much closer to Providence than LP. If that was the issue then LWE wouldn’t be in the playoffs every year. Feeder programs mean a lot and so does good coaching. Let’s not forget culture. Something is lacking at LP maybe the new coach can get the parents and community involved, then maybe the kids will come play for him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT