ADVERTISEMENT

Let's pretend we had 2 private only classes

I initially thought that if the separation happens, would you really have a "state champion"? Then I realized that with 8 classes, you really don't have a "state champion" now. If the split does occur, will we see a push to somehow match up the winners of the public champions with the private champions after the conclusion of each respective group's championship games?

I like this suggestion! That would be awesome.
Private school Class 1
(8) Boylan Catholic @ (1) Mount Carmel
(5) St. Rita @ (4) Montini
(7) Immaculate Conception @ (2) Nazareth Academy
(6) Notre Dame @ (3) Loyola Academy
Seeds 1-6 are based off the week 9 Top 25 poll from Edgy. At that point you're left with some smaller schools who are the top 10 in their class like Boylan or IC or the next best 8 or 7A schools (none were in the top 10 AP though). I'll go with Boylan and IC respectively, though.

After looking at the rest of the schools though, I might go 8, 8, and 8, or even 6, 8 and 8.

Honestly though, as much as there's some great match ups there, missing out on top public-private matchups would suck too.

Reactions: Gene K.
I for one hope the privates stay in with the publics.......HOWEVER, if there ever is a split please please please go back to 6 classes for public schools. That is all.

Hell, go back to 6 classes now :)

Reactions: Curtain 25
The reason I don’t like playoff divisions being determined by quality of team or competitive level is the best teams are grouped for a championship and the poor teams grouped for a championship and you are then giving a championship to the best of the bad teams. You might as well call that the consolation bracket champion.

no you are looking at it the wrong way. look at it like division1, division2, division3 college football. they ALL get their own champions. so are you saying that 1aa, 2, 3, and naia champs do not matter?
and now tell me how they differ because they can recruit and size of school???
you have the same thing in hs sports, schools that can recruit and bigger enrollment sizes.
schools that draw more attention to their school because of great sports programs etc.

it is not the size of the school that matters so much as their competitiveness. schools that can continually bring in good talent, schools that can get some good talent, and schools that have kids that just want to play.
you can still break down the divisions by class size in different conferences and you will have much better competition in each division at the end of their seasons and their respective playoffs.

no you are looking at it the wrong way. look at it like division1, division2, division3 college football. they ALL get their own champions. so are you saying that 1aa, 2, 3, and naia champs do not matter?
and now tell me how they differ because they can recruit and size of school???
you have the same thing in hs sports, schools that can recruit and bigger enrollment sizes.
schools that draw more attention to their school because of great sports programs etc.

it is not the size of the school that matters so much as their competitiveness. schools that can continually bring in good talent, schools that can get some good talent, and schools that have kids that just want to play.
you can still break down the divisions by class size in different conferences and you will have much better competition in each division at the end of their seasons and their respective playoffs.

The college to HS comparison is apples and oranges. In many ways, not the least of which is the discrepancy in scholarships among the different levels ranging from 0 to 85, television and sponsor money discrepancies between the levels, and much more. You can’t compare high school classes to college divisions. To make it an equitable comparison you would have to talk about having multiple national championships within one division of college football. For instance they don’t take the non-power 5 conferences and have them play for a non-power 5 National championship. They don’t have a d3 national championship for the historically powerful d3’s and another for the middle of the road d3’s.

The college to HS comparison is apples and oranges. In many ways, not the least of which is the discrepancy in scholarships among the different levels ranging from 0 to 85, television and sponsor money discrepancies between the levels, and much more. You can’t compare high school classes to college divisions. To make it an equitable comparison you would have to talk about having multiple national championships within one division of college football. For instance they don’t take the non-power 5 conferences and have them play for a non-power 5 National championship.

WHAAAT??? same as you do not have d3 schools playing d1 schools.
you have complicated it way way too much.
not even close. simply put, you have schools of different talent levels, (simple competition levels) I don't care how many kids they can recruit.
each division has their own championship.

scenario:
but, you have brought a good point, schools that can recruit do have a distinct advantage. so look at each schools freshmen enrollment numbers(how many recruits) should help determine how their sports programs are going to do the next season.
and in reality, some of these top high schools should have campuses, dorms etc. start running them like small colleges to get these athletes ready for the next level. they learn how to control classes and work load, with practice schedule etc., take required classes for actual graduation, keep that grade pt avg up to snuff. then they can begin to travel out of state and compete at higher levels across the country. I can see this split as a huge benefit

not even close. simply put, you have schools of different talent levels, (simple competition levels) I don't care how many kids they can recruit.

scenario:
but, you have brought a good point, schools that can recruit do have a distinct advantage. so look at each schools freshmen enrollment numbers(how many recruits) should help determine how their sports programs are going to do the next season.
and in reality, some of these top high schools should have campuses, dorms etc. start running them like small colleges to get these athletes ready for the next level. they learn how to control classes and work load, with practice schedule etc., take required classes for actual graduation, keep that grade pt avg up to snuff. then they can begin to travel out of state and compete at higher levels across the country. I can see this split as a huge benefit

I’m not going to go back and forth debating you if you can’t see that the difference between college divisions and HS classes are two different animals. The competition level difference you mention is built into the college system with different rules for different divisions. One has 85 scholarships one has 63 one has 32 one has 0. There are not these rules diffences among high schools trying to create levels of competition. That is why colleges have different championships for the divisions. But they don’t have multiple championships within the levels for teams that are better or worse as you are a proponent of for HS teams.

scenario:

To the second half of your post.... hate to say this on Veterans Day weekend but wouldn’t think a Marine would be such a whiner or anti-meritocracy. But regarding looking at freshman enrollment numbers for football as you mention, who do you think gets more freshman each year? OPRF or Fenwick? Lyons Twp or Nazareth? The public’s get more bodies (recruits as you call them). You yourself just stated/admitted that enrollment number is a significant factor in how good your teams may do.

To the second half of your post.... hate to say this on Veterans Day weekend but wouldn’t think a Marine would be such a whiner or anti-meritocracy. But regarding looking at freshman enrollment numbers for football as you mention, who do you think gets more freshman each year? OPRF or Fenwick? Lyons Twp or Nazareth? The public’s get more bodies (recruits as you call them). You yourself just stated/admitted that enrollment number is a significant factor in how good your teams may do.

wow, you are supposed to be from texas right???
and you are supposed to be able to understand different competition levels correct???
you do or did have them in texas right??
so are you trying to tell me that HS TEAMS ARE CREATED EQUALLY and that each plays at the same level of competition???
anyway.
I understand and everyone here understands how college works.
what are you talking about public schools for.
this is a fantasy private league. who gives a shit, who recruits more.
I certainly don't and never have. I think public schools recruit to keep their kids in bounds as much as private schools try to take them out.

now! in fantasy league here, if you want private enrollment to MEAN ANYTHING, then yes you will need to take into consideration freshman enrollment compared to football enrollment.
so YOU wouldn't have d3 school playing against a d1 school.

but, I believe if you want to be the best you have play and beat the best that is put in front of you.
oohrah.
but, I also understand in todays day and age of mediocracy, you can still get great competition if you divide them up into great divisions. peace.

wow, you are supposed to be from texas right???
and you are supposed to be able to understand different competition levels correct???
you do or did have them in texas right??
so are you trying to tell me that HS TEAMS ARE CREATED EQUALLY and that each plays at the same level of competition???
anyway.
I understand and everyone here understands how college works.
what are you talking about public schools for.
this is a fantasy private league. who gives a shit, who recruits more.
I certainly don't and never have. I think public schools recruit to keep their kids in bounds as much as private schools try to take them out.

now! in fantasy league here, if you want private enrollment to MEAN ANYTHING, then yes you will need to take into consideration freshman enrollment compared to football enrollment.
so YOU wouldn't have d3 school playing against a d1 school.

but, I believe if you want to be the best you have play and beat the best that is put in front of you.
oohrah.
but, I also understand in todays day and age of mediocracy, you can still get great competition if you divide them up into great divisions. peace.

I wish I was from Texas; I wouldn’t have left... so no I’m not. Shows how well you follow along!

You were the one in the second half of your post who brought public schools and enrollment into it when you started talking about the advantages of private’s and their “recruiting” and how number of freshman recruits was an important factor in success and needed to split from public’s etc etc etc.

No one is going to start dividing state title brackets up by “quality” of team. The non quality teams shouldn’t even be in the playoffs. I’m done arguing with you about it. It must be frustrating being a sailor having to try to reason with you jarheads lol.

You guys are still on this? This would be an administrative nightmare for the privates should they pull out of IHSA. There are more sports than football. Not going to happen. I realize private heavy board but come on man. You don't want to be multiplied up so you can seek out weaker competition? Privates are doing fine right where they are slotted. Also note - the privates join the IHSA and pay the same dues. They have the option to not join the IHSA any year.

You guys are still on this? This would be an administrative nightmare for the privates should they pull out of IHSA. There are more sports than football. Not going to happen. I realize private heavy board but come on man. You don't want to be multiplied up so you can seek out weaker competition? Privates are doing fine right where they are slotted. Also note - the privates join the IHSA and pay the same dues. They have the option to not join the IHSA any year.

You have NOT been paying attention. The public’s are proposing to separate from the private’s not the other way around. Most private’s are happy as it is but many Public’s are crying that it’s not fair that they have to compete with private schools and are trying to get the IHSA to separate the private’s.

You have NOT been paying attention. The public’s are proposing to separate from the private’s not the other way around. Most private’s are happy as it is but many Public’s are crying that it’s not fair that they have to compete with private schools and are trying to get the IHSA to separate the private’s.

Got it. I have to admit that 3 pages is too much for my public education to pay attention to. You lost me at "lets pretend".

so are you trying to tell me that HS TEAMS ARE CREATED EQUALLY and that each plays at the same level of competition
But all the private schools in the IHSA have the opportunity to be created equally, just as a team in the MAC has the opportunity to be created the same as a team in the Big 10 or SEC or Pac 12. If you were to create different classes by program success, would the programs in the highest class be allowed more ways to build their programs than the lower classes (similar to FBS to FCS to Div 2)? Would the highest class have a larger radius to get athletes from than the other classes? Would there be other bonuses to being in the larger (more successful) class?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT