ADVERTISEMENT

JCA 56 Brother Rice 49 FINAL

While JCA is enjoying this years team and the new found virile attitude, would it be possible to play a lowly team from Frankfort? Providence had the courage to schedule a7A/8A Lincoln-Way East non con for several years. Now that LWE is trending down would it not be the time for the Hilltoppers to do the same? Looking back at the LW West / JCA playoff game a few years back this would be an instant classic? Memorial Stadium would draw a crowd for this matchup for sure. Make it happen. Call it the WJOL Bowl?

Reactions: corey90
Couldn’t agree with you more caravan8, I will add JCA defense is very suspect. BR was the first good team they have played and they gave up 49 points. I give them total props for the win but I don’t see either of these teams as great. Good but not great, both have great offense but lack a great defense. The old saying defense wins championships. Yes JCA will win state in 4A easily. IMO if they played an 8A schedule and then played in the 8A playoffs it would be a different story.
Then by your logic Loyola has a very suspect defense. My opinion is that Brother Rice has a very special offense.

While JCA is enjoying this years team and the new found virile attitude, would it be possible to play a lowly team from Frankfort? Providence had the courage to schedule a7A/8A Lincoln-Way East non con for several years. Now that LWE is trending down would it not be the time for the Hilltoppers to do the same? Looking back at the LW West / JCA playoff game a few years back this would be an instant classic? Memorial Stadium would draw a crowd for this matchup for sure. Make it happen. Call it the WJOL Bowl?

If history is an indicator, I believe they would.
They have scheduled top CCL, DVC, WSC and out of state powers in years past.
They had a devil of time getting week #1 & week #2 games this year and played LWE lower level games this year.

Then by your logic Loyola has a very suspect defense. My opinion is that Brother Rice has a very special offense.
If you have looked at my posts I have said over and over 8A is wide open LA included. I don’t think LA has a great defense either that’s why they are beatable. Warren has the best defense this year. Warren has the opposite problem in they are pretty much one dimensional with a good running game but their passing game needs work. JCA is a lock to win state in 4A! If some how they don’t it will be because their defense. That said I don’t see them losing in 4A. Hand them the trophy.

I wouldn’t say East is trending down. This year yes next year they will be a big problem with most of their starters back. East will be a beast next year mark my words. 😊

Fun little fact from last night, Badke threw in Lausch at safety at the end of the game last night and he broke up MC’s last attempt at the end zone

He was an all conference safety as a Sophomore!

All respect to Jack Lausch, but we have our own talented QB/safety in Damari Arrington. I saw him run across the field to make a nice tackle for no gain. Both he and Dowling can easily pick up 10- or 20-yard chunks with their legs. The passing game could be better. Furlong is good, but they aren't taking advantage of Joey Thompson, who was wide open on an incompletion to someone else. One of their favorite plays seems to be the quick sideline pass, but it hasn't been very productive for them.

I should compliment the Marist QB on a beautiful rainbow pass to their #3, who positioned himself perfectly for the over-the-shoulder catch.

Last edited:
Reactions: crusaderpride
JCA will murder 4A. That is all.
Yep! I think they would also do well in 5A, 6A, 7a and 8A this year. Maybe not undefeated in those classes but still would be contenders for the state title. JCA's defense has been pretty good this year and in this game the defense met a highly talented BR offense with possibly the best QB in Illinois HS football this year. QB Lausch is the real deal for BR and he will do very well at the collegiate level and maybe beyond. As an aside, IMO, JCA could possibly win at least 2 of the 4 higher state championships this year. Slow your roll Corey!!!! #23 Anderson running the ball was almost unstoppable and looking at the video, I couldn't believe how big this young man is as well as super fast for his size. FWIW, I'm not a homer as far as JCA is concerned but I mentioned earlier this year that this team is a juggernaut and not backing down.

Yep! I think they would also do well in 5A, 6A, 7a and 8A this year. Maybe not undefeated in those classes but still would be contenders for the state title. JCA's defense has been pretty good this year and in this game the defense met a highly talented BR offense with possibly the best QB in Illinois HS football this year. QB Lausch is the real deal for BR and he will do very well at the collegiate level and maybe beyond. As an aside, IMO, JCA could possibly win at least 2 of the 4 higher state championships this year. Slow your roll Corey!!!! #23 Anderson running the ball was almost unstoppable and looking at the video, I couldn't believe how big this young man is as well as super fast for his size. FWIW, I'm not a homer as far as JCA is concerned but I mentioned earlier this year that this team is a juggernaut and not backing down.
Don’t disagree Gene,
Wish they could play up. Although it would be a tougher road JCA could play with the top teams this year. I am not going to hand them the trophy unless it’s in 4&5A. Micah Jones might think differently because Warren is the best strongest, fastest and work harder etc etc than any team in IL. Lol 😂

I think what a lot of people are missing is that JCA made some defensive adjustments at half and managed to keep Rice’s high powered offense in check. If Rice hadn’t scored so close to the end, JCA held them 21-7 in the second half. JCA would give most of the teams in 7 and 8 fits and could win the title.

The only defense anyone seems to be mentioning as being dominant is Warren.

In terms of coaching, JCA is superior. They made adjustments and applied a variety of edge pressures, resulting in two punts to begin the second half.

BR has failed to stop a playoff-caliber team in any quarter. LA and JCA ran the identical play throughout the game. Lynch would have loved to call QB counter with Arrington until Rice stopped them if the clock hadn't run out against MC. The BR defense appears to have an uncanny ability to catch blocks.

In two weeks, Marist will run for over 300 yards and score more than 40 points. It'll be difficult to watch. I look forward to watching Lausch play, but seeing this defense is like drinking bad tequila without the lime.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
In terms of coaching, JCA is superior. They made adjustments and applied a variety of edge pressures, resulting in two punts to begin the second half.

BR has failed to stop a playoff-caliber team in any quarter. LA and JCA ran the identical play throughout the game. Lynch would have loved to call QB counter with Arrington until Rice stopped them if the clock hadn't run out against MC. The BR defense appears to have an uncanny ability to catch blocks.

In two weeks, Marist will run for over 300 yards and score more than 40 points. It'll be difficult to watch. I look forward to watching Lausch play, but seeing this defense is like drinking bad tequila without the lime.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't that rices MO under badke besides 18 and I guess you can throw 19 in there. But I think those defenses were good in spite of br scheme because of superior talent . Besides that they have always had to win in a shootout. Hence their early exit come playoff time.

Rice defense has good athletes - however whoever is coaching them fundamentals of tackling, shedding blocks and hitting their gaps is not doing it well. Also JCA won the turnover battle (2 TOs killed) and Rice had five more penalties - discipline and fundamentals win

Rice defense has good athletes - however whoever is coaching them fundamentals of tackling, shedding blocks and hitting their gaps is not doing it well. Also JCA won the turnover battle (2 TOs killed) and Rice had five more penalties - discipline and fundamentals win
Yes, they are so bad at fundamentals that their defense is worsening.
There are no stunts, blitzes, or even varied looks. At least 5 plays versus MC and JCA occurred when BR couldn't get 11 players on the field defensively. That is coaching. Coaching is vital.

These are south side who have lost their physicality and enthusiasm.

@refref01 said it best "hot mess dumpster fire" on defense.

Only by altering who is in charge of executing the game plan and calling the plays will things change. It reminds me a lot of the Bears. Changes to the play calls and system have resulted in an improvement.

Do defenses typically put 10 in the box against them?
Some teams do. This JCA offense is different than some of their previous versions, though. Aidan Voss can pass. I'm guessing they only threw 4 passes in this game for a few reasons:

1. Rice was not stopping the run.
2. They wanted to possess the ball as long as possible to keep Rice's explosive offense off the field.

I thought the key to the game was the third quarter. JCA received the kickoff and scored on a long drive. They stopped Rice on the next possession, then scored again on another long, time-consuming drive to go up two TD's. I believe Rice only had the ball one time in the third quarter.

Better coached and tougher team won. Congrats to JC. Never seen such a disorganized Rice D. Time for Rice to ask Holy Redeemer coach to come on staff and show Rice fundamentals of tackling, fighting off blocks and proper alignments.
Better coached and tougher team won. Congrats to JC. Never seen such a disorganized Rice D. Time for Rice to ask Holy Redeemer coach to come on staff and show Rice fundamentals of tackling, fighting off blocks and proper alignmen

Maybe a few more transfers will help

Reactions: ESCC Alum and mc140
Over the years JCA was a program I didn't particularly care for or like. Most likely out of the envy of their winning and the stealing of players from Lockport. Yes, stealing. LOL.

But this is a team that is impossible for me to dislike or hate. So many good back stories with this team and dads who handed down their athletic abilities and no doubt, coaching and patience to their sons. Then there are the sons carrying on the legacy. To me, that's the real story. Been reading about them in the local paper this year.

No doubt, they are the real deal. I'd like to see them playing in the 8A playoffs. But I won't take anything away from them if they win it all at another level.

Last edited:
Over the years JCA was a program I didn't particularly care for or like. Most likely out of the envy of their winning and the stealing of players from Lockport. Yes, stealing. LOL.

But this is a team that is impossible for me to dislike or hate. So many good back stories with this team and dads who handed down their athletic abilities and no doubt, coaching and patience to their sons. Then there are the sons carrying on the legacy. To me, that's the real story. Been reading about them in the local paper this year.

No doubt, they are the real deal. I'd like to see them playing in the 8A playoffs. But I won't take anything away from them if they win it all at another level.
Very classy post.

Reactions: Bowie50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT