ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA shelves 1-32 seeding for Class 6a thru 1A

so now we change rules based on fuel prices. Are they going to go back to quads now too.

Reactions: Gene K.
The IHSA is a joke. They truly don't care about the kids of our state. See Fall of 2020 as proof. We can just add this to the list

Reactions: Panthers1211
so now we change rules based on fuel prices. Are they going to go back to quads now too.
The IHSA is a joke. They truly don't care about the kids of our state. See Fall of 2020 as proof. We can just add this to the list
The average school bus get 10 mpg, it may be stupid but $6 gallon gas it is pretty legitimate concern for many school districts.

Reactions: UlbKA91 and net-se
Perhaps a much smarter poster than I (and that’s quite a long list) could figure out how many schools would actually have a significant increase in travel times. I imagine it’s already significant for the southern, central, and western parts of the state.

Perhaps a much smarter poster than I (and that’s quite a long list) could figure out how many schools would actually have a significant increase in travel times. I imagine it’s already significant for the southern, central, and western parts of the state.
I’ve ran the numbers before just for 5A and 1-32 would have resulted in 4 trips over 4 hours and one at 3 hours and 56 minutes(1-16 only had 2 trips over 4 hours). If nobody has a full list of all the classes, I might do the rest.

I think a big thing people overlook is that even 20 more minutes for the school bus isn’t that bad, but when you multiply it by hundreds of cars, it stacks up fast.

Reactions: Gene K.
I guess we should cancel the season due to massive costs in the following

1. Equipment to keep the kids safe
2. Footballs to play the game
3. Coaching salaries
4. Admin salaries
5. Food for Team meals before/after games
6. Costs of Gatorade and recovery shakes
7. Uniform costs

The lists goes on and on. We don't stop playing the games because of all of these issues that costs way more than gas to playoff games.

I guess we should all just be happy that the IHSA is letting kids play. Well done

Are admin cancelling their conferences, clinics, professional development due to gas prices? No. Is this what is best for high school football? No. Is it the best way to run our post season? No. Is it what the student athletes, coaches, and fans want? No.

Is there an average gas price the IHSA has said we need to get to in Illinois to get a legitimate playoff back? I'm having "mask" policy flashbacks!

So that means East St.Louis wont be making trips to the suburbs? Lol
EStl has donors and no problems with providing cash for its football team but many 1A- 3A schools don’t have that luxury and they would really be the ones that would be hit hardest. 1-32 works in the large classes since the bulk of the schools are in the Chicago area and have larger budgets but if you are a small budget 2A school that has to travel 2-3 hours on back to back weekends things get dicey.

Last edited:
Schedules are out. Many schools going "out-of-state" for games and playing some distant week 1s and 2s. So much for gas prices. Shoot...ESL traveled the south for 7 on 7. Bring back 1-32 seeding!

Reactions: Panthers1211
When the decision was made to postpone 1-32 seeding the IHSA Board President said "I do expect that when fuel prices return to a more manageable price level the Board will revisit this topic."

In Feb the decision was made to go to 1-32 seeding. Illinois Gas prices then averaged 3.62
In June the decision was made to shelve 1-32 seeding. Illinois Gas prices then averaged 5.56
Today, Illinois gas prices average 4.24.

Do you think the IHSA left open the idea that they could still go to 1-32 this year if gas prices go back down?
If so, what gas price is considered "more manageable"?

When the decision was made to postpone 1-32 seeding the IHSA Board President said "I do expect that when fuel prices return to a more manageable price level the Board will revisit this topic."

In Feb the decision was made to go to 1-32 seeding. Illinois Gas prices then averaged 3.62
In June the decision was made to shelve 1-32 seeding. Illinois Gas prices then averaged 5.56
Today, Illinois gas prices average 4.24.

Do you think the IHSA left open the idea that they could still go to 1-32 this year if gas prices go back down?
If so, what gas price is considered "more manageable"?
Zero chance the IHSA wants to do anything that is positive for football seeding. Way too much fear of lower gates.

I guess we should have canceled the season due to $700 helmets. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT