ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Press release

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
IHSA Phase 4 Return To Play Guideline Update:

Due to an increase in positive cases of COVID-19 among high school teams around the state, the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) and Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) are jointly collaborating to modify the IHSA’s Phase 4 Return To Play Guidelines.

The modifications place greater restrictions on coaches and student-athletes in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Important changes include limiting physical contact and an increased usage of masks. The former restricts schools from conducting contests against other schools in most sports, including 7-on-7 in football.

The IHSA is working with IDPH to update the guidelines, and will send to its membership, the media, and post on the web as soon as they are approved.

7on7 travel teams and flag football is about to explode with numbers in a good way.

Yeah that is ridiculous. If you are going to run things like no one is going to catch this, then just stop wasting everyone's time. Every team is going to have people that have it.

Reactions: Gene K.
FEAR IS TEMPORARY. REGRET IS FOREVER.

What are we doing to these kids?
At what point do we decide is the greater evil?

Under 18 - being generous with the levels (seriously I want to know what level is acceptable other then 0, because it ain't happening)

1. Less then 3% chance of getting covid
2. Less then 1% chance of being hospitalized
3. Less than 0.5% chance of mortality
4. Having to keep older family members away for safety

OR

1. No in person learning we already know how many didn't participate in the spring and will be worse now and also how much is not retained during the summer
2. No physical activity - sure the 1-2% that aspire to play at next level will get done what needs to be done, but that is all out of high school athletes go on to play in college 1-2%. Many of the others this is their only time and chance to play.
3. No social development - sorry playing xbox or whatever is not the same as interacting with another actual human being

I hope IHSA is seriously thinking about this, but if tweets I saw today are correct it appears that it was the Governor sticking his nose in, this is not about the health of the the HS athletes, the data does not support it. It is about Fear and Control.

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more so that we may fear less" - Marie Curie

FEAR IS TEMPORARY. REGRET IS FOREVER.

What are we doing to these kids?
At what point do we decide is the greater evil?

Under 18 - being generous with the levels (seriously I want to know what level is acceptable other then 0, because it ain't happening)

1. Less then 3% chance of getting covid
2. Less then 1% chance of being hospitalized
3. Less than 0.5% chance of mortality
4. Having to keep older family members away for safety

OR

1. No in person learning we already know how many didn't participate in the spring and will be worse now and also how much is not retained during the summer
2. No physical activity - sure the 1-2% that aspire to play at next level will get done what needs to be done, but that is all out of high school athletes go on to play in college 1-2%. Many of the others this is their only time and chance to play.
3. No social development - sorry playing xbox or whatever is not the same as interacting with another actual human being

I hope IHSA is seriously thinking about this, but if tweets I saw today are correct it appears that it was the Governor sticking his nose in, this is not about the health of the the HS athletes, the data does not support it. It is about Fear and Control.

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more so that we may fear less" - Marie Curie
That same governor just yesterday called for a national mask mandate. He’s digging in his heels.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT