ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA/National Federation of High School Rule Changes

ThirdNGoal

Oct 31, 2018
The 40 second clock is coming to replace the 25 second play clock. This is the current college rule.

After a deadball, teams will have 40 seconds to snap the ball. Clock starts when ball is dead, not when the ball is set by umpire.

Coaches need to be ready with several game balls and multiple ball boys. You want to run a hurry-up? Onus is on team to get the ball to the umpire in middle of the field .

It won't be a huge deal for varsity, after say, the 4th week, but might be issue for freshman and sophomore games.

I hope they change the start of the clock following a delay of game to be like college too then. I suspect delay of game fouls will be up substantially and if it’s a dead clock after you’re looking at adding 45sec more of dead game clock time for every foul

Best rule change in years!!!

IMPROVED VISIBILITY OF NUMBERS [1-5-1c, 1-5-1c(6) (NEW)]
Rationale:
The purpose of numbers on jerseys is to provide clear identification of players. In order to enhance the ability to easily identify players, the committee has clarified the size requirements for jersey numbers through the 2023 season. The committee also added a new requirement that, effective in the 2024 season, jersey numbers must be a single solid color that clearly contrasts with the body color of the jersey.

I hope they change the start of the clock following a delay of game to be like college too then. I suspect delay of game fouls will be up substantially and if it’s a dead clock after you’re looking at adding 45sec more of dead game clock time for every foul

It’s just like in college. It’s a 25 second play clock coming out of any stoppage of play such as: timeout, start of quarter, after penalty, any stoppage of play clock by official, etc. The 40 second clock is just between plays starting with the whistle killing the previous play (after the tackle, incomplete pass, going out of bounds, etc).

Link: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/40-second-play-clock-postseason-instant-replay-among-football-changes/

Rationale:
The purpose of numbers on jerseys is to provide clear identification of players. In order to enhance the ability to easily identify players, the committee has clarified the size requirements for jersey numbers through the 2023 season. The committee also added a new requirement that, effective in the 2024 season, jersey numbers must be a single solid color that clearly contrasts with the body color of the jersey.
Awesome! No more white on white!

It’s just like in college. It’s a 25 second play clock coming out of any stoppage of play such as: timeout, start of quarter, after penalty, any stoppage of play clock by official, etc. The 40 second clock is just between plays starting with the whistle killing the previous play (after the tackle, incomplete pass, going out of bounds, etc).

Link: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/40-second-play-clock-postseason-instant-replay-among-football-changes/

I’m talking about starting the clock after a delay of game foul. HS presently the clock doesn’t start til the snap after a delay, which means more dead clock time. College it is dependent upon the play before

"Another significant change approved by the committee was the addition of a note to Rule 1-3-7 to permit state associations to create instant-replay procedures for state postseason contests only."

I did not hear this mentioned. That's interesting.

I’m talking about starting the clock after a delay of game foul. HS presently the clock doesn’t start til the snap after a delay, which means more dead clock time. College it is dependent upon the play before

Well a delay of game would be a stoppage by the official that I would think would result in a 25 second play clock. This rule is only regarding the play clock. Wherther the game clock starts or not I don’t think this rule addresses.

"Another significant change approved by the committee was the addition of a note to Rule 1-3-7 to permit state associations to create instant-replay procedures for state postseason contests only."

I did not hear this mentioned. That's interesting.

Key word is permits... a state doesn’t have to do it. If they choose to they can. Texas already does it in at least the championship games and maybe semis as they are played in cowboy stadium with the technology to do it. But they didn’t need the NFHS approval to do it as they use NCAA rules for football not NFHS.

Well a delay of game would be a stoppage by the official that I would think would result in a 25 second play clock. This rule is only regarding the play clock. Wherther the game clock starts or not I don’t think this rule addresses.

Correct, which is why I said I hope they are changing the delay of game rule. The football is also brown and the game is played on a field 120yds in playing length

Correct, which is why I said I hope they are changing the delay of game rule. The football is also brown and the game is played on a field 120yds in playing length

Well I guess you will have to wait for 2020 for that rule as I doubt they are going to make that change now if they didn’t when they addressed changes for 2019. Question is the college rule that the defensive team gets to choose if clock runs or not after the offensive delay of game or clock doesn’t start until snap at a certain point in game like last 5 minutes of game? I assume it must be one of these or a team with a lead late in the game could intentionally take a delay and then get a new 25 to run off more time and theoretically do so perpetually to kill the clock.

Rationale:

As it was The University of Oregon that started this madness, can we call this the Dead Duck Rule?

Reactions: stripes13

Rationale:
Interesting. Obviously made to get rid of white on white, but does that strict reading mean no outline color on the number either? I feel like most jerseys have a solid color with a complimentary outline color. Or is this to get rid of the rarer use of some type of design element on the number (like a camo design)

Rationale:

Does anyone else out there agree with me that way too much attention/resources/etc is paid to high school jerseys and helmet decoration these days? I'm not a big Nittany Lions fan, but I do admire their classic uni approach.

Does anyone else out there agree with me that way too much attention/resources/etc is paid to high school jerseys and helmet decoration these days? I'm not a big Nittany Lions fan, but I do admire their classic uni approach.
In no way do I endorse this way of thinking, but some kids buy in more and/or get more excited due to this.

Interesting. Obviously made to get rid of white on white, but does that strict reading mean no outline color on the number either? I feel like most jerseys have a solid color with a complimentary outline color. Or is this to get rid of the rarer use of some type of design element on the number (like a camo design)
Or one where the numbers gradually fade from top to bottom.

Style matters.

Sometimes it's classic PSU, sometimes it's flashy Oregon. I'm a fan of it all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT