ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA Football: So what needs to change?

Saw this one Friday night. Defensive holding was called on a TD reception. IMO, the offensive team takes the TD and declines the penalty. Not how it was enforced. Presumably, in high school the scoring team gets the TD and has the holding penalty enforced on the subsequent kickoff.

Proposed change: you either take the penalty or the TD. You don't get both. Take the TD, and there is no yardage walk off on the subsequent kickoff.

The scoring team gets the option of when to enforce penalty, either on the try or the kickoff. It is there to prevent or try to prevent defending team from getting away with unnecessary stuff on a scoring play.

But you can petition the NFHS to get it changed

Reactions: Zebra
I think seeding 1-32 for all classes, 6 classes and/or football enrollment, and applying success factor to public and private schools solves all the pressing problems.

I'll second the 1-32 seeding, SF for all and return of foot ball enrollment.

I happen to think that if football enrollment was applied, the amount of teams subject to SF implementation would approach zero.

It happened in 2016, Libertyville vs Batavia. Batavia had the ball on the 2, 4th down and down by 3, no time outs left. Libertyville stopped them as time expired. Illegal motion was called and they put 1 second on the clock. Batavia was able to kick a field goal to tie the game and ended up winning in 2 OT's. Who cares if it doesn't happen often. The rule should be in place.

In order for there to be a run off it has to be a foul that causes a running clock to stop immediately(prevents the snap) Sounds like in your situation there is a live ball foul, this wouldn't be a run off situation, just like a hold wouldn't be.
My only point was just that I didn't really think it was a problem because it doesn't happen much. Didn't know if other people were experiencing it more than I realized. If you want it changed more power to ya

Are you sure it was illegal motion ? If it was all Libertyville had to do was decline the penalty and game over. If it was some kind of dead ball foul , like false start ? then the clock should not even had started.
Sorry, false start was the penalty. Clock was ticking down below 2 seconds when ball was snapped and flag thrown. The play continued but i guess the whistle was blown. Officials met and put 1 second on the clock.

I pray not.

But I did mean football.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure MOST of us would survive without high school football, and the students could find something else to occupy their time, like extra studying or intramural sports (if they absolutely had to play sports). Some egos would obviously suffer due to the lack of glowing articles in the press, but welcome to life kids!

IHSA doesn’t make it up at the concession stand.

Great post, No Bias. IHSA is apparently no different than the government when it comes to their greed for the almighty dollar!!

The finished the regaular season 6-3 why should they get a home game?

Not a MS guy myself but I bet they were happy to get at least 1 home playoff game in front of their own fans. I think several other folks already gave other reasons why changing is not a good idea.

Sorry, false start was the penalty. Clock was ticking down below 2 seconds when ball was snapped and flag thrown. The play continued but i guess the whistle was blown. Officials met and put 1 second on the clock.

New rule started last year I believe. The offended team has the choice on when the clock would start. In this situation Libertyville would decide when it would start.

Reactions: Chief321
6 classes, 1 to 32 seeding, keep home field format the same. It's great.

Stagger game times over the weekend so we can see more games. Free playoff streaming.

Edgy posters Thankgiving day morning flag football game. Who are the captains??

Last edited:
Leave the playoffs as is,Start the season same as Indiana which will maybe help teams with their schedules.Shocked I haven’t heard the get rid of the Prep Bowl group yet

Liked to see the right to have a player disqualification from a game reviewed.
Not to have an appeal process on this cost Montini two years ago when one of it's best players was disqualified for fighting with a St. Iggy player. This alleged fight turned out not to be the case when the tape of the play was looked at.

Not to have an appeal process on this cost Montini two years ago when one of it's best players was disqualified for fighting with a St. Iggy player. This alleged fight turned out not to be the case when the tape of the play was looked at.

I remember that! Totally agree with a better review process needed (including mandatory reviewing the of the film)

That’s one of those things that sounds like a good idea, but you run into the problem of who has the film, how was the film shot, camera is usually off between plays etc.
Problem is they don’t have NFL or college film staffs that can immediately produce good video.

Exactly my point. There are top 5 seeds that only get 1 before getting to the championship.

Think of it as Maine South stole West Aurora's spot by beating them so they became the #7 seed or whatever. WA wasn't hosting anyone after that, so why shouldn't MS have the home game, at least against any seed they play that's lower than #7? But I agree, it doesn't seem right if the #26 was hosting the #2 seed.

That if you forfeit a game, you don't get the playoff points of that opponent.

The only problem I see with that is the fact that there can be various reasons for a forfeit, some of which are not necessarily for a nefarious purpose. (By the way, I read this thread after reading the one about Providence forfeiting). I don't know ALL the issues involved, so I won't comment on that situation except to say that it is very interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT