ADVERTISEMENT

ICE week 6 preview and reactions

I heard that it’s possible for 4 win teams to qualify this year. Not sure how true it is but that opens things up for the ICE. I guess in theory everyone is still eligible then.

Coal City (3-2) @ Manteno (1-4) - Manteno gets in the win column but that momentum is not enough. CC defense is too tough. Manteno can’t really stop them either. I like CC by three scores.

Herscher (2-3) @ Lisle (3-2) - The tigers seem to have leveled off about where they were originally predicted. Will need every win they can get from here on out. Lisle is too much at home. Lions by 2 TDS.

Streator (3-2) @ Peotone (3-2) - This is probably the most important matchup this week. Not the GOTW though. Peotone needs it. Streator is coming up on their murderers row in the schedule. I see them going winless after starting 3-0 though. The tone needs every possible win. They will be motivated at home. Better team wins. Peotone by 17.

Reed-Custer (5-0) @ Wilmington (5-0) - GOTW! Huge matchup. Comets are right where they want to be. Homecoming for the cats. Chance to spoil their season. I do think RC is tough. I don’t think they can beat Wilmo though. If Wilmo lost I wouldn’t be that surprised but just not high probability IMO. Purple wins by 3 pts.

Questions, comments, thought?

I totally agree with your GOTW!!! Wilmington is currently ranked #1 in 3A, but they might not even be the best team in their conference. This is the year of the Comets and Elliot Cassem is the reason why. The most dominant running back in the conference since Damien Anderson and RC is hungry. Verrryyyyyyy hungry!

I totally agree with your GOTW!!! Wilmington is currently ranked #1 in 3A, but they might not even be the best team in their conference. This is the year of the Comets and Elliot Cassem is the reason why. The most dominant running back in the conference since Damien Anderson and RC is hungry. Verrryyyyyyy hungry!

Nothing like putting some pressure on the kid.........

Coal City and Lisle win big.
Streator upset.

Should probably pump the brakes on Cassem being the best conference RB in the last 25 years. At least let’s see how the season plays out. Does he have any offers?

Wilmo will have to play a clean game on offense and stay ahead of the chains. If they can control the ball, I like their chances. The offense had trouble against CC and Peotone, but got back on track last week.
Also, a lot will depend on how R-C handles themselves. Not just in this game, but going forward. This is basically uncharted territory for them.
Hopefully it’s a good, clean and injury free game.

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Coal City @ Manteno: The explosion you heard last week was the Panthers blowing up Streator's playoff hopes. as the coach (Haines) took down his former pupil (Tutt). Meanwhile, the Coalers just keep chippin' away with their ole pickaxe. I predict the Coalers are gonna use the ole pickaxe to bust open some sizeable seams in the Panther defense, allowing the Coaler backs plenty of green space to run for the riches...Coalers may likely be the next team to score on every possession against the Panthers... Coalers big.

Herscher @ Lisle: The Tigers got clawed by the Wildcats, while the Lions were chipped apart by the Coalers last week. Tigers have been running out of energy late most of the year, while the Lions are plugging along. This game is necessary for the Lions playoff hopes, as their non-con playoff points are not looking good (if 5 wins is the cutoff). Lions pounce late to take over the game.

Streator @ Peotone: Bulldogs bright 3-0 start is turning dark...very dark, after the Devils they have the big 3 remaining. Peotone has lost the last 2 to Wilmo & RC. Peotone needs this game, as like Lisle it appears their non-con playoff points will be light. But Manteno's scoring prowess against the Devils, and RC's blowout, concerns me, as the Bulldogs have been able to score all year. But unlike Herscher, the Devils wont run outta gas. I predict Peotone in a shootout.

Reed Custer @ Wilmington: Clearly the GOTW, maybe GOTY in the ICE. Wildcats do what they do...run, run, run, play vicious defense. Comets are flying high, seemingly scoring at will. The immovable rock v. the unstoppable force. I think the Comets schedule has been in their favor, however, in that they have their toughest opponents week 6 & 8 (CC). The atmosphere should be electric, ranked neighbors knocking heads...but I think RC is a year away. I think they have to learn how to play when they arent scoring at will...do they become demoralized if they get behind, or have multiple drives stopped in a row? Wilmo in a war...

Nick Nasti, Tribune Male Athlete of the Year, might have a position...and 2 football titles, a semi, a heavyweight state title, and state track medals ... he's clearly behind Nasti who led the Reapers to the semis from nowhere as a soph. We'll see after the season how he stacks up against some of the greats...the greats in this conference arent made against Westmont / Seneca / Dwight, but sure racked up the stats against them.

Reactions: Coalertown44

Welcome to the board Mrs Cassem

Seriously???
I don’t know, just trying to be different. I actually made that pick thinking the game was at Streator, but looks like I screwed that up. Probably giving their new coach too much credit. It’s about that time when Streator folds up the tent for the year.
Yeah, it’s probably not my greatest upset pick ever.

I don’t know, just trying to be different. I actually made that pick thinking the game was at Streator, but looks like I screwed that up. Probably giving their new coach too much credit. It’s about that time when Streator folds up the tent for the year.
Yeah, it’s probably not my greatest upset pick ever.
I could see it. Not entirely crazy. Blue Devils certainly haven’t impressed past few weeks. That said, it’s against the two of the three monsters of the conference.

Peotone seems to beat the teams they’re supposed to, just can’t beat the big boys. Seems to be the trend under the current regime.

Reactions: doctor_d
Tim Gubbins was an absolute Stud for Coal City in the late 90s. Had an injury that ended up hampering his Senior year he was another stud. Wilmington has a long list of studs and many that had to share carries on their teams Bailey, Scheel and many more.

Tim Gubbins was an absolute Stud for Coal City in the late 90s. Had an injury that ended up hampering his Senior year he was another stud. Wilmington has a long list of studs and many that had to share carries on their teams Bailey, Scheel and many more.
Nick Nasti - Plano

Who else?

Coal City @ Manteno- Coal City is going to run away with this game. Harvey to have a huge game. 200 plus rushing yards. Manteno is just not very good up front. CC 35 Manteno 0

Herscher @ Lisle- I like Lisle on the turf. The Lions are quick and if they can get in the open its going to be trouble for Herscher. Lisle 28 Herscher 21

Streator @ Peotone- Blue Devils get back on track with a big win vs the Bulldogs. No chance Streator is able to stop the ground and pound of Peotone. I like the Blue Devils 28-14.

RC @ Wilmington- This is one I am not sure about. Judging by the 2 games against the Blue Devils I would say RC is more dynamic. The problem is Wilmington is at home on homecoming. I just can't envision the Cats letting the Comets come to town and walk away with a W. Cats 24 Comets 21. Richards is the difference.

Coal City @ Manteno- Coal City is going to run away with this game. Harvey to have a huge game. 200 plus rushing yards. Manteno is just not very good up front. CC 35 Manteno 0

Herscher @ Lisle- I like Lisle on the turf. The Lions are quick and if they can get in the open its going to be trouble for Herscher. Lisle 28 Herscher 21

Streator @ Peotone- Blue Devils get back on track with a big win vs the Bulldogs. No chance Streator is able to stop the ground and pound of Peotone. I like the Blue Devils 28-14.

RC @ Wilmington- This is one I am not sure about. Judging by the 2 games against the Blue Devils I would say RC is more dynamic. The problem is Wilmington is at home on homecoming. I just can't envision the Cats letting the Comets come to town and walk away with a W. Cats 24 Comets 21. Richards is the difference.

Homecoming also means distractions.

CC @ Manteno. Coalers need to win the games they should and this is one. Manteno put the nail in Streators season last week. Coaler D too much. CC 27 Manteno 7

Herscher @ Lisle. Lisle lost to CC last week, but they really werent in the game. Herscher has stumbled lately but I see them showing up this week. Herscher 27 Lisle 19.

Streator @ Peotone. Peotone has to bounce back from the whipping they got from Braidwood last week. Streator pretty much screwed the pooch against Manteno. Peotone rallies to get back on track. Tone 21 Streator 6

GOTW Braidwood @ Wilmo. This will be for the conference title. Braidwood is scoring in bunches and playing confidently but this is the best team they have played by far. Wilmo does what Wilmo does. The Cats bring the Comets back down to earth with ball control, ball control, ball control. Wilmo 24 Braidwood 20, might be time to reconsider scheduling the State Championship parades Comet faithful

Reactions: Gene K.
No chance of a state title in 3A. The last projected 3A playoffs I took a look at the North Bracket is LOADED! Wilmington should be very happy if they are able to make it to that 2A cutoff. Could be the difference between making a State title game and getting bounced in the second round. Crazy the difference in talent between those 2 classes right now.

I don't even know where to begin with this post

Wilmo probably gonna ride the 2A/3A bubble till Saturday afternoon of week 9.
IC in 2A makes 2A north rough. Ive heard rumors that they will petition up, but doubt it. And Mac as a possible 4-5 16 seed in 2A would have to concern a few teams...Sterling Newman, 2A winners in 19, are in 3A. Montini dropping to 3A would be concerning, but again they likely need 4-5 teams to make it...Basically you know what is in 3A, but assuming there are no lurking 4-5 private traditional monsters roaming around pick your poison...With IC in 2A, the road to a state title might be easier in 3A. Quarters in 2A are probably easier, but beyond that...

Reactions: Gene K.
PW86
For starters, Wilmington gonna have to prove they can score more points against the better teams regardless of which class they end up in.
I’m also inclined to pick IC as the favorite in 2A or 3A, whichever one they end up in.
With that said, 2A definitely has fewer land mines than 3A from my viewpoint.

IC in 2A makes 2A north rough. Ive heard rumors that they will petition up, but doubt it. And Mac as a possible 4-5 16 seed in 2A would have to concern a few teams...Sterling Newman, 2A winners in 19, are in 3A. Montini dropping to 3A would be concerning, but again they likely need 4-5 teams to make it...Basically you know what is in 3A, but assuming there are no lurking 4-5 private traditional monsters roaming around pick your poison...With IC in 2A, the road to a state title might be easier in 3A. Quarters in 2A are probably easier, but beyond that...
IC petitioned up to play 3a so there’s an extra landmine in that field now.

I think the Wildcats have a pretty smooth road to State in Class 2A this year. IC petitioning up to Class 3A removes the one major road block. Sterling Newman has looked nothing like its usual self this year and I dont believe will be a factor. The only team sitting in their way I would think would be Bishop Mac if they get in with 4 wins. Could very well be the Cats 1st Round opponent. Would be all downhill from there.

Reactions: isubluedevil
Coal City @ Manteno - the Panthers got in the win column last week and are improving week to week but they do not have the defense to stop the Coal City run game. The Coalers have a solid defense and should be able to control the clock and get one win away from securing another playoff appearance. Coalers 32 Manteno 6

Herscher @ Lisle - the Tigers have to make the long trek to Benedictine which is a tough place to play for the visitors. The Tigers fight and fight and fight as they have shown the past few weeks. Lisle is a tough team to figure out, they have solid players on all positions but they seem to be lacking a certain umph to get things done. This is an important game for both teams playoff aspirations. Honestly it's a pick-em type game, but Lisle's speed will be too much for the Tigers. Lisle 22 Tigers 12

Streator @ Peotone - these teams are polar opposites. Peotone has the power run and Streator has the spread but both teams are coming off lack luster performances last week. Peotone had chances last week but were killed by turnovers. Streator is becoming the typical Streator and they have a tough row to hoe the last 3 weeks of the season. Both teams need this win badly, but tht Blue Devils prevail. Blue Devils 32 Bulldogs 18

Reed-Custer @ Wilmington - the one everybody has been waiting for. Another game of contrasting styles, a high scoring offense vs. a very stout defense. Looking at strength of schedule the scale tips towards Wilmington. Looking at the one common opponent, Peotone, Reed-Custer has the edge. Football is all about matchups and the Wildcats matchup better with the Comets than the Blue Devils. Talk is that this is the biggest game in Comet history and there is a lot of hype about this team. The Wildcats are seasoned vets in preparing for big games. It will be a hard fought battle by both teams and regardless of the outcome, both will likely have home playoff games in Round 1. The home field advantage gives the Wildcats the edge. Wildcats 28 Comets 18.

IC petitioned up to play 3a so there’s an extra landmine in that field now.
IC petitioned to 3A makes 2A much simpler. Wilmo (413) in 2A also brings Farmington (410) with them, and the Cats usually handle the Prairieland Schools fairly well in the playoffs. But the north/south cutoff will make a difference - a bunch of the power schools could go either way.

3A is going to be heavily dependent on the north/south cut line. Williamsville / Monticello / Tolono Unity all going one way would create a nasty trip to DeKalb - either way. But if seeding outlook holds, what do the RC fans think of the Montini trip to Braidwood week 1 (RC is the 2, Montini the 31)...

Wilmington 21, Reed Custer 14: Great game, electric atmosphere, gigantic crowd. RC fans were stacked up from end zone to end zone, Wilmo had a great homecoming crowd. The airhorn operating Row the Boaters were really into the game...

Wilmo took the opening kickoff, a kinda strange pop-up kick, and returned it inside the Comet 40. Couple first downs, stalled (bunch of procedure penalties early), kicked field goal 3-0. Comets hit a long pass, but turn the ball over on an interception. Cats run the I-wing and ram the ball in, 10-0 at the quarter.

Early second seemed to be the Comets. Chipping down the field, ran lots of short receiver screen passes, not a lot of rushing success. Hit a couple misdirection plays, decent 30ish yard misdirection for TD. 10-7 Wilmington. Wilmo ran a fairly precision drive right before the half - interesting call inside 10 to call timeout with about 10 seconds to play rather than run one last play and call the timeout. Richards with his second FG about 6 seconds left, 13-7 Wildcats. Cassem pads his stats with about a 25 yard run against the extreme prevent to end the half.

Comets take the second half kickoff, march right down the field for a TD. 14-13 Comets...the visitors side was going crazy. Wildcats 3 & punt, ugly series. Comets fans absolutely in a frenzy...airhorns, Rowing the Boat...and the rest of the quarter was basically trading punches. 14-13 start 4th...

And then the Wildcats had a classic Wilmo touchdown drive...power run, safetys knocked on their butts getting run over on tackles...Ram it into the endzone, then jam in the 2 pointer - one was pointless, RC's kicker was booming. And the Comets momentarily come unglued...Returner muffs the kickoff, rolls into endzone for touchback. And they waste a timeout on first down as they look like they have no idea what they are doing...Drive down the field on a bunch of short passes and misdirection runs...Drive stalls about the 20, come up a yard short on 4th down...Cats called for unsportsmanlike after the stop - Comets fans momentarily happy thinking they got a first down on the penalty, real unhappy when they realized it was Cats ball.

It was clearly 4 down territory for the Comets, as the usual happened...Wilmo jammed three first downs down the Comets throats and went to victory formation...

The Comets lack of experience in close games, in my opinion, killed them here...

I think PW86 pretty accurate.
I didn’t like the razzle dazzle 4th down play by Braidwood. Should have kept the ball in McPhersons hands. IMHO.
Wilmington punched them in the mouth early with the 10-0 lead. R-C responded and had control of the game in the 3rd Q.
Wilmington snapped out of it and did Wilmo things on offense and took control late.

R-C is a very good team. Wilmington’s line got to them late when they ran out the last couple minutes, but overall they are very solid and very talented. I’m looking forward to seeing how their game against Coal City goes.

I wasn’t too far off in my Streator upset pick….
Looks like it went to OT

I wasn’t too far off in my Streator upset pick….
Looks like it went to OT
Correct. 20-6 in the 4th. Blue Devils in control and then all hell broke loose for Peotone. Couldn’t cover anyone, passes being caught on top of guys helmets. Streator converted four 4th downs to keep a drive alive. Then Peotone forgot how to run their offense. It was crazy. Streator missed a game winning FG with 90 seconds left and then again in OT.

Crazy night. Glad they found a way to get a much needed W though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT