ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Week 5 previews and recap

Peotone (3-1) @ Reed-Custer (4-0) - GOTW! This will be the biggest test for the Comets yet. Like Dr-D mentioned in last weeks post RC is scoring even though it isn't against anybody great. Peotone is more of a ground and pound team so if they get down I have to believe it will be hard for them to come back. Plus it seems like RC can throw. Give me RC by 2 scores. PS- I hate having to pick them!

Lisle (3-1) @ Coal City (2-2) - Huge game for both (especially if RC can beat CC). I have not seen big points from CC yet. Defense is tough as nails though. Being on the road hurts the Lions and CC will shut them down. CC by a low score win.....Maybe 14-3?

Wilmington (4-0) @ Herscher (2-2) - Can't imagine Herscher hanging here. However I have heard of injuries for Wilmo. HerscherThey also don't seem to be a DOMINANT team. Should win conference still but I don't think they make it easy. Wilmo by 14.

Manteno (0-4) @ Streator (3-1) - If you would have told me a few years ago that these records belonged to these teams I would have never believed it. Streator has beat people Manteno hasn't plain and simple. They get one more closer to playoffs. Streator by 21.

Manteno @ Streator- Streator got beat by Lisle and Manteno got beat by RC last week. This might sound crazy but I like Manteno to get their 1st win. I think they step up and knock off Streator. I like the game 28-21 Manteno.

Lisle @ Coal City- This will be a very interesting game. I think it will be low scoring. Harvey and the Coaler run game does enough to put some points on the board. Coal City wins 10-7 in a defensive battle. Coalers finally get above .500 on the season.

Peotone @ RC- I'm not sure what to think about Peotone after the game vs Wilmington. The offense couldnt really get anything going. I know Wilmington defense is good but we couldn't get the ball moving. RC seems to be clicking right now but they haven't played anyone like Peotone yet. I'll take the Comets 28-14. I think the Blue Devils will need to win 3 of the last 5 to get in to the playoffs. I think they can but it won't be easy.

Wilmington @ Herscher- Herscher has been playing tough shorthanded but this week is too big of a task. Wilmington is playing well on both sides of the ball and it won't stop this week. I got Wilmington 35 Herscher 7. Herscher will need to make a run to end the season to make the playoffs.

Manteno @ Streator- Streator got beat by Lisle and Manteno got beat by RC last week. This might sound crazy but I like Manteno to get their 1st win. I think they step up and knock off Streator. I like the game 28-21 Manteno.

Lisle @ Coal City- This will be a very interesting game. I think it will be low scoring. Harvey and the Coaler run game does enough to put some points on the board. Coal City wins 10-7 in a defensive battle. Coalers finally get above .500 on the season.

Peotone @ RC- I'm not sure what to think about Peotone after the game vs Wilmington. The offense couldnt really get anything going. I know Wilmington defense is good but we couldn't get the ball moving. RC seems to be clicking right now but they haven't played anyone like Peotone yet. I'll take the Comets 28-14. I think the Blue Devils will need to win 3 of the last 5 to get in to the playoffs. I think they can but it won't be easy.

Wilmington @ Herscher- Herscher has been playing tough shorthanded but this week is too big of a task. Wilmington is playing well on both sides of the ball and it won't stop this week. I got Wilmington 35 Herscher 7. Herscher will need to make a run to end the season to make the playoffs.
Love reading these. FWIW they’re projecting some 4 win teams to get in this year so 5 should do it. I’d like to think Peotone will get 2 more wins but you never know. Such a weird team to figure out.

Love reading these. FWIW they’re projecting some 4 win teams to get in this year so 5 should do it. I’d like to think Peotone will get 2 more wins but you never know. Such a weird team to figure out.
I didn't realize that 5 was for sure going to get you in this year. In that case I like the Blue Devils to get 2 more wins for sure. I honestly think they can beat anyone left on the schedule but could also lose to at least 3 of the teams they have left. I think Peotone definitely beats Streator and Herscher. Lisle is a toss up but also like them in that game. RC and CC will be tough games but not games Peotone can't win, just need some good things to happen to knock those 2 teams off. If I had to guess right now I would say Peotone ends the season 6-3.

Conference is going to really struggle until Manteno and Herscher can turn things around.. not sure whats going on there, both schools with similiar demographics that are all of a sudden seeing alack of numbers despite recent success..

Conference is going to really struggle until Manteno and Herscher can turn things around.. not sure whats going on there, both schools with similiar demographics that are all of a sudden seeing alack of numbers despite recent success..
The success those two had in recent years makes it even more mind boggling although Herscher seems to be competing their tails off this year.

The success those two had in recent years makes it even more mind boggling although Herscher seems to be competing their tails off this year.
I said early on that the top 5 or 6 kids on that Herscher roster are as good as any in the conference.. they just lack the numbers and depth of the top teams..

15 years ago we had two youth feeder programs wth 25-30 at each level.. now we have one program that MIGHT have 20 at each level

Reactions: PanthersWildcats86
Wilmo (4-0) @ Herscher (2-2) Wilmo slips past Peotone and Herscher dropped a close one to CC. Really do not see any surprises here. WIlmo will control the ball nd the game. Herscher will still have a path to 5 wins if they can make a run. Wilmo 24 Tigers 7

Manteno (0-4) @ Streator (3-1). Really want to take Manteno in this one but I don't see it happening. Streator has enough weapons but this will be a bit of a shootout. Bulldogs 35 Manteno 21

Lisle (3-1) @ CC (2-2) This will be a tough grind it out matchup. CC not having Best gives them one less weapon on offense. Lisle will make this interesting. CC in a low scoring affair. CC 20 Lisle 7

Peotone (3-1) @ Braidwood (4-0) I hate to say it but I think Braidwood might be the best team in the conference. But this will be their first real test of the season. If Peotone can control the LOS and the ball they win. Braidwood can score and score quick. I like the Comets. 28-13 Braidwood

Like multiple 4 win teams? I remember a few years back I saw a conference rep with 4 wins make it. Why would 4 make it now? Less programs?

Like multiple 4 win teams? I remember a few years back I saw a conference rep with 4 wins make it. Why would 4 make it now? Less programs?
Yea he talks about it on his Friday night drive site. Subscription needed but I think it’s free for a couple days. It’s a great site. Basically says bc there’s so few teams playing 11 man, his projections have multiple 4-5’s getting in this year with 50 plus playoff points etc

Always subject to change but even then, 5 wins shouldn’t take many playoff points to get in. Especially since the conference did fairly well in non conference play.

Reed-Custer might be the best in the conference, although they have at least 3 games left on the schedule that are tougher than any they’ve played to date. Starting this week.

Wilmington and Coal City have both scuffled on offense thus far. Both teams have a pretty stout defense, but will need to consistently find more points if they wanna make any sort of run. The rest (besides Manteno) have available paths to the postseason, but need to play well and avoid injuries.

Here’s hoping for a healthy week.

Wilmo 28, Herscher 7
Coal City 21, Lisle 7
Streator 27, Manteno 20
Reed-Custer 28, Peotone 21

Reactions: Coalertown44
Heard Herscher has a few kids out this week, need to get people healthy for next week as they try to win 3 of last 4

Also heard Watseka is cancelling the rest of their season due to low numbers.. only had 31 in the program to start the year and injuries have depleted that number.. sadly this is a trend in the Kankakee area, some good programs with fewer than 40 kids..

Heard Herscher has a few kids out this week, need to get people healthy for next week as they try to win 3 of last 4

Also heard Watseka is cancelling the rest of their season due to low numbers.. only had 31 in the program to start the year and injuries have depleted that number.. sadly this is a trend in the Kankakee area, some good programs with fewer than 40 kids..
Insane. This is a time I don’t think any of us will ever forget. Crazy what’s going on these days.

Reactions: Gene K.
Insane. This is a time I don’t think any of us will ever forget. Crazy what’s going on these days.
I mean to be fair many programs were struggling with numbers before COVID. I think COVID surely hurts, but this has been happening.

I mean to be fair many programs were struggling with numbers before COVID. I think COVID surely hurts, but this has been happening.
I don’t disagree but the number of teams that are going to just a JV schedule or have dropped to 8 man football this year seems much higher than usual.

The schools with a lot of soccer moms are going to be in trouble in 10 years.. and I will leave it at that lol

Wilmington @ Herscher - the Cats have proven they have a solid defense but have not been able to put points up on the board. Herscher has proven it is not pushover. Injuries may have an impact in this game for both teams but the lack of depth will hurt the Tigers. Cats 38 Tigers 12

Manteno @ Streator - both teams were expected to be bottom dwellers at the beginning of the season but tht Bulldogs are still in a position to make it to the playoffs for the first time in a few years. The Panthers are improving but the Bulldogs have speed that the Panthers can't match. Expect a very high scoring affair Bulldogs 51 Panthers 42.

Coal City @ Lisle - the Coalers offense seems to be struggling but they have a great defense. The turf at Benedictine is always an advantage for the Lions but the Coalers seem to find a way to win games with their defense. Coalers defeat the Lions win 31 - 18.

Peotone @ Reed-Custer - the Devil's go on the road for their 2nd tough road game in 2 weeks. The Comets have been rolling and but this will by far be their toughest opponent yet. Contrasting styles of play with the Power Run of the Devils and Spread game of the Comets. The Comets are the heavy favorites but the Blue Devils control the ball and the clock and win 21-19.

Wilmington @ Herscher - the Cats have proven they have a solid defense but have not been able to put points up on the board. Herscher has proven it is not pushover. Injuries may have an impact in this game for both teams but the lack of depth will hurt the Tigers. Cats 38 Tigers 12

Manteno @ Streator - both teams were expected to be bottom dwellers at the beginning of the season but tht Bulldogs are still in a position to make it to the playoffs for the first time in a few years. The Panthers are improving but the Bulldogs have speed that the Panthers can't match. Expect a very high scoring affair Bulldogs 51 Panthers 42.

Coal City @ Lisle - the Coalers offense seems to be struggling but they have a great defense. The turf at Benedictine is always an advantage for the Lions but the Coalers seem to find a way to win games with their defense. Coalers defeat the Lions win 31 - 18.

Peotone @ Reed-Custer - the Devil's go on the road for their 2nd tough road game in 2 weeks. The Comets have been rolling and but this will by far be their toughest opponent yet. Contrasting styles of play with the Power Run of the Devils and Spread game of the Comets. The Comets are the heavy favorites but the Blue Devils control the ball and the clock and win 21-19.
Hope you are right about the Devils!

Wilmington takes care of business as usual.

Coal City may be starting to find its stride with a nice win over a tough Lisle team.

Manteno does exactly what I thought they would do and show that Streator isn’t ready yet.

The Blue Devils struggle in every facet of the game against the Comets.

Next week is a big week for teams looking to make a run to make the playoffs. It’s about to get fun.

RC continues to roll and roll BIG. Is the number one team in 3A starting to sweat yet?

Wilmington 41, Herscher 7...Tiger numbers problem bites them again.

Reed Custer 42, Peotone 6...Comets are soaring.

Coal City 24, Lisle 12...Coalers keep mining wins - likely power run over Manteno next week. Lions desperately need to shut down the Tigers next week.

Manteno 42, Streator 28...Panthers finally get a win. Bulldogs playoff hopes in trouble - Peotone, CC, Wilmo, RC left. Panthers likely best is 3-6...CC & Wilmo, Herscher & Lisle.

RC continues their homecoming game streak next week on Howard Becker Field at Jeff Reents Stadium...the ranked 3A neighbors seem ready for the ICE championship game.

Watseka's ending their varsity season shows what will be a problem for many schools with playoff points - apparently they aren't forfeiting because they cancelled the rest of the varsity season. The Warriors one win was a forfeit - and their last five games will have opponents with only 8 games and playoff point problems. But their varsity was half freshmen...I suppose they had to do it. I would hate to be the 4-4 school who misses the playoffs because the opponent cancelled, with no forfeit.

Reactions: Gene K.
I said early on that the top 5 or 6 kids on that Herscher roster are as good as any in the conference.. they just lack the numbers and depth of the top teams..

15 years ago we had two youth feeder programs wth 25-30 at each level.. now we have one program that MIGHT have 20 at each level
Blame it on daddy ball. Kids sit when young, coaches play 14-15 kids or less in youth football the rest sit. Lose interest and give it up. Happening everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: brucealmighy
Your info regarding Watseka is wrong. Those who had them on the schedule will be receiving a forfeit win.
I was talking with a Momence parent who was upset that they werent getting a forfeit because they worried they wouldnt get playoff points or a win - a double screwing. Apparently they were misinformed initially. I figured maybe the conference was pushing for schools to find makeup games...

Ahhh a Momence parent enough said lol. Everyone will be getting a forfeit win from Watseka unless they find and lose a replacement game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT