ADVERTISEMENT

I Can Agree with This: Top 10 Athletes from Illinois

The missing athlete, and true all-around athlete at that, is Dike Eddleman from Centralia and Illinois. Leading scorer on the Illini's '49 Final Four basketball team, silver medalist in '48 Olympics in the high jump, key player on Rose Bowl team - not only held punting records, but also return records...Went pro in hoops...

The missing athlete, and true all-around athlete at that, is Dike Eddleman from Centralia and Illinois. Leading scorer on the Illini's '49 Final Four basketball team, silver medalist in '48 Olympics in the high jump, key player on Rose Bowl team - not only held punting records, but also return records...Went pro in hoops...

Centralia was offered to play at Chicago Stadium against Mount Carmel, named as the team of the decade by several Chicago newspapers in a charity game sponsored by the Chicago Tribune where all proceeds would be donated to the War Bond fund. Centralia and Dike declined.

How do I know this?

My Dad was the point guard of the MC All Decade team and that was a story that was backed up multiple times over the years by several prep reporters....

No Quinn Buckner at #1 makes the list invalid. and JJK should really probably be #1. I ran into her at a mall outside of St. Louis a few years back, she was extremely nice.

No Quinn Buckner at #1 makes the list invalid. and JJK should really probably be #1. I ran into her at a mall outside of St. Louis a few years back, she was extremely nice.

I like Andre Iguadala. Was a stud in basketball and track and Lanphier

I think when we call out best athlete it should be someone who excelled at multiple sports

Based on the representatives on this list, I think the article intent was to identify the most accomplished in their respective sport.

“Illinois has produced many outstanding and game-changing athletes, so it’s a tough job to create any top 10 list.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT