ADVERTISEMENT

Hoping for the best for all at the Daily Herald....

Lots of good people are effected by this. It’s a shame where the newspaper industry has gone.

Oh man this is BAD!! This is my favorite newspaper and I really like that with the digital subscription you can access the other Chicagoland regions. I have two digital subscriptions but if I had to choose one - It would be Daily herald - they are awesome.

* it sounds like they don’t want this offer to affect the content (the writing talent). Hopefully that is true because that’s the most important component of the product. And why people buy it (and why advertisers utilize it to target specific regions - to reach those local folks)

* they say they are in good financial shape at present (hopefully this is accurate).

Idea - review the viability of raising the price for the subscription to help offset declining AD revenue. I’m sure some folks would balk - but many others would be ok with it if it helps maintain the content!!

For those of you out in Edgyland that do not have a subscription to Daily Herald - I urge you to consider it now - it is a fantastic publication that services many different Chicagoland regions.

You have some of the best Preps reporters in the state. I am biased because I have written as a freelancer for them for the last 22 years, but I challenge anyone to find me better than Joe Aguilar, Jerry Fitzpatrick, Kevin Schmit, Dave Oberhelman, Dick Quagliano, and I am sure there are many more.

You have some of the best Preps reporters in the state. I am biased because I have written as a freelancer for them for the last 22 years, but I challenge anyone to find me better than Joe Aguilar, Jerry Fitzpatrick, Kevin Schmit, Dave Oberhelman, Dick Quagliano, and I am sure there are many more.
Well there is a certain fish wrap with a certain lady... Never mind, I don't want to derail a good story here.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
Tough times all around for media outlets. DNA info went out of business yesterday. I really enjoyed their coverage of neighborhood news.

As someone that works in an industry that sees layoffs quite often, this is a most humane way to proceed and shows tremendous consideration to their employees.

Too often in today's world, companies are making cuts offering only minimal warning and severance. I have seen numerous employees at my company RIF'd on Thursday night, where Friday is their final day, and their consideration is 2-4 weeks severance and a small amount for resume creation services.

It is ugly out there and I am happy to see this as a by-choice offer with significant value shown to older employees.

If they cut their preps coverage they are going to suffer. Most people i talk to only subscribe for the preps coverage.

I would be one of those people. Primary reason I have it is their awesome year around preps coverage - but they do Football the best out of anyone! I do like their local news sections as well but without the preps coverage - I’m not sure the value proposition is still there for me. Fingers crossed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT