ADVERTISEMENT

Home Field rules

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
I was talking to some guys at work about home field advantage in the playoffs and we all agreed that the current system for who gets home field could possibly be tweaked a little.

With all the talks of first round blowouts in the other posts it had me thinking that a better way to determine home field advantage for the first round (maybe even first two rounds) would be to allow the higher seed to pass on home field advantage. Then after the first (or 2nd) round of the playoffs the current system is used with whoever has less home games gets to host. Or something of similar effect.

I have thought this the last few years when looking at some of the first round scores or watching some of the first round games and thinking that home field really didn't play a part in the outcome. For example, last years Wilmington first round game was probably the most one sided game I have ever witnessed. They could have played in Alaska and the outcome wouldn't have changed. So couldn't a new system be used that would have allowed them to forfeit home field first round and possibly set up home field for a later round. PS I don't think them being at home would have changed anything against IC in the Quarters but every advantage counts at that point!

Do any of you in the edgy nation think a better system could be implemented?

It would really only effect seeds 1-4 and I don't think many would take that risk. I would love to see a 5 seed give up a home game then find out the 4 seed did the same.

With all the talks of first round blowouts in the other posts it had me thinking that a better way to determine home field advantage for the first round (maybe even first two rounds) would be to allow the higher seed to pass on home field advantage. Then after the first (or 2nd) round of the playoffs the current system is used with whoever has less home games gets to host. Or something of similar effect.

I have thought this the last few years when looking at some of the first round scores or watching some of the first round games and thinking that home field really didn't play a part in the outcome. For example, last years Wilmington first round game was probably the most one sided game I have ever witnessed. They could have played in Alaska and the outcome wouldn't have changed. So couldn't a new system be used that would have allowed them to forfeit home field first round and possibly set up home field for a later round. PS I don't think them being at home would have changed anything against IC in the Quarters but every advantage counts at that point!

I have posited such an idea before if not here at Edgy's, then on another board I frequent. It was not well received for three reasons.

The first is that it would be insulting to the first round opponent who would be handed a home game because, effectively, the other team deems them an easy win before the game takes place. Not good form.

Secondly, imagine the sh!tstorm that would happen if a coach took a pass on hosting and wound up losing the game. I think many coaches would think it would be not worth the risk.

Lastly, and this one was probably argued most vehemently, schools and athletic departments are so strapped financially that they cannot afford to pass up the revenue that they would make from the gate and concessions.

I still like the idea, though.

Why? To be rewarded for playing in a soft conference with a soft schedule. No thank you

that's a good point. my idea would start with the schools seeding the 16 teams in their part of the bracket. of course there would need to be oversight to try to limit collusion or other ways to rig the system. but it would be a better seeding process than what exists now.

to your point, if a team is wrongly seeded highly because they play a soft schedule, their more likely to get beat early in the playoffs regardless of where the game is played.

that's a good point. my idea would start with the schools seeding the 16 teams in their part of the bracket. of course there would need to be oversight to try to limit collusion or other ways to rig the system. but it would be a better seeding process than what exists now.
Exactly. Comes down to better seeding which would be one heckuva debate each year through the tweaking of the seeding formula. I just like the high seed round one option as the easiest solution

I’m a fan of letting the higher seed host until state, it’s earned off of play in the season. If you have bogus CPS 9-0 schools who get blown out at home in Round 1 that’s fine. Example would just result in a good 7 or 8 seed hosting a 16 or 15 instead of traveling round 2.

How right is it the a team like SHG has to travel up to Aurora to beat the brakes off of a team who struggled to get in? They should be home until seeding dictated they travel- or St Laurence going to HS? Bogus- yes they beat the 1 seed but consequences of being the 16 seed should mean you travel if you keep winning. If HS wins out they will likely host a semifinal....PG traveling to Cary Grove- cmon! Beat them, overall top seed but you have to travel to your rival?? (Ignore the fact they have 2 rounds against conference opponents- nice work IHSA?)

The list goes on and on— in every class. I love KY format- go 10-0 and you are home until you lose bottom line! Teams host all the way until State final game

Reactions: flcowboy09
I’m a fan of letting the higher seed host until state, it’s earned off of play in the season. If you have bogus CPS 9-0 schools who get blown out at home in Round 1 that’s fine. Example would just result in a good 7 or 8 seed hosting a 16 or 15 instead of traveling round 2.

How right is it the a team like SHG has to travel up to Aurora to beat the brakes off of a team who struggled to get in? They should be home until seeding dictated they travel- or St Laurence going to HS? Bogus- yes they beat the 1 seed but consequences of being the 16 seed should mean you travel if you keep winning. If HS wins out they will likely host a semifinal....PG traveling to Cary Grove- cmon! Beat them, overall top seed but you have to travel to your rival?? (Ignore the fact they have 2 rounds against conference opponents- nice work IHSA?)

The list goes on and on— in every class. I love KY format- go 10-0 and you are home until you lose bottom line! Teams host all the way until State final game
Scheduling is tough enough. Not enough Ws to go around. In the current system, you have yearly conference reshuffling with schools looking for an edge, ADs that don't get their emails returned looking for games. SHG MAY beat MA but SHG also wouldn't have their current record (and thus their current seeding) if they played MAs schedule. They'd be fine but it's all apples to oranges until the game is played but the higher seed home teams guaranteed is a joke because there is no good way to seed.

Last edited:
And before you go look at MAs schedule and say "oh SHG can beat this team and that team and this team" remember playing these teams don't happen in a vacuum. MA finished the season vs 5 state qualifiers, two in the class above them. So it's not SHG could beat team A or team B. It's one week, beat Team A, wake up Next week and beat Team B, wake up next week beat Team C. And if you play a lot of players both ways, good luck. Could SHG beat every team on MAs schedule? Who knows. But could they finish with the same record that gave them a higher seed against that schedule? Week after week after week after week. You will not get seeding right. Alternate fields with higher seed option in rd one and semis at a neutral site.

I kinda like higher seed gets home field the whole way through as well but I was looking for a tweak of the current system. I realize that some people are not satisfied with the current seeding system or think that people play cupcakes to increase their seed, but I also think some teams overall have a pretty tough schedule. Byrons conference for example is usually tough top to bottom. The seeding issue is another topic for another day!

Neutral fields is just meh to me.......It is pretty cool when you host a semi game and the whole town backs your team. Don't think that would happen as much on neutral field. I wouldn't complain if it went to that, but I also wouldn't encourage it.

Lastly, and this one was probably argued most vehemently, schools and athletic departments are so strapped financially that they cannot afford to pass up the revenue that they would make from the gate and concessions.

Doesn't the IHSA get the gate money in the playoffs?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT