ADVERTISEMENT

Hilltoppers 52 Montini 20 FINAL nm

What is your opinion of why kids aren’t staying? Why lower level success isn’t translating to Varsity?

I have a feeling if it were a public school almost everybody stays all 4 years. So I do believe it is partly tuition, many good private and public schools in the area, Lombard private grammar schools getting smaller in enrollment, not getting great talent transferring in junior and senior year like Sykes and Simmie Cobbs, Johnson and others, no Westerkamps in the pipeline right now, resistance to change the system, Now may be a good time.

Reactions: Gene K.
To say that Brian Casey had anything to do with the downswing in Montini football is hilarious. Guy was the Qb coach for a 14-0 team, first in school history. Coached Blake to 1 Int in 14 games (snow storm). Was OC for a runner up finish, a runner up finish because MC couldn’t stop the JCA run game. Nothing to do with Casey. Runner up OC usually celebrated? Montini fans so spoiled.

the issue with montini is that they are no longer the only game in town. As late as 2010, when montini enrolled their last state title class, none of this was true.

- Glenbard East makes the playoffs now (Walters hired in 2010)
- Glenbard South sending kids to ND!
- Glenbard West first title in 2012 (Hetlet hired in 2008)
- Willowbrook stunk till 2010 when Hilldreth hired, now going to the Quarters (Jensen flips from MC to WB still goes D1)
- Naz 14, 15, 18 titles, 17 runner up
- IC 16, 17, 18 titles
- Fenwick State title
- St Francis on the come up since McMillen hired
- ESCC/CCL schedule (final 4 was Provi, Marist, Naz, JCA)
- Coach A leaves in 2016, so does gigantic chunk of staff

the pool of players montini used to get hand over fist is SERIOUSLY diluted. Public schools keeping more kids home. More catholic schools on the market for kids. They’re not getting the same kids and playing an entirely more difficult schedule.

Casey not AD when they made the switch to the Catholic league, Casey wasn’t a coach last year or this year.

I fail to see how any of this is on him? Everyone else is just doing a better job.

To say that Brian Casey had anything to do with the downswing in Montini football is hilarious. Guy was the Qb coach for a 14-0 team, first in school history. Coached Blake to 1 Int in 14 games (snow storm). Was OC for a runner up finish, a runner up finish because MC couldn’t stop the JCA run game. Nothing to do with Casey. Runner up OC usually celebrated? Montini fans so spoiled.

the issue with montini is that they are no longer the only game in town. As late as 2010, when montini enrolled their last state title class, none of this was true.

- Willowbrook stunk till 2010 when Hilldreth hired, now going to the Quarters (Jensen flips from MC to WB still goes D1)
- IC 16, 17, 18 titles
- Fenwick State title

the pool of players montini used to get hand over fist is SERIOUSLY diluted. Public schools keeping more kids home. More catholic schools on the market for kids. They’re not getting the same kids and playing an entirely more difficult schedule.

Casey not AD when they made the switch to the Catholic league, Casey wasn’t a coach last year or this year.

I fail to see how any of this is on him? Everyone else is just doing a better job.

So if they are not getting the same talent they once did, why don't they change their system?

JCAs system takes less team talent to be great. Why not somewhat copy their system?

So if they are not getting the same talent they once did, why don't they change their system?

JCAs system takes less team talent to be great. Why not somewhat copy their system?
I don’t disagree at all, if there are more and more options for kids, there is a need to update everything to keep up with the Joneses. My point was just you can’t blame a former OC/Qb coach for what’s happening in Lombard.

I don’t disagree at all, if there are more and more options for kids, there is a need to update everything to keep up with the Joneses. My point was just you can’t blame a former OC/Qb coach for what’s happening in Lombard.

I dont blame anyone like I said before. I listed the many circumstances that have changed. I am just asking why not change the system?

The spread takes too much talent to run and you can't control the clock either which I believe since you can't control the clock, you better also have a couple studs on defense.

I dont blame anyone like I said before. I listed the many circumstances that have changed. I am just asking why not change the system?

The spread takes too much talent to run and you can't control the clock either which I believe since you can't control the clock, you better also have a couple studs on defense.
I wasn’t really posting to you directly. So sorry if that was miscommunicated by me. You didn’t look up Casey’s ACC record. But I totally agree, to run the spread you need some dudes. Something needs to change, whether it’s the system or something else because things haven’t been great for the Broncos.

Reactions: Wassup13
Big difference for Montini? IC is recruiting and getting kids from Maywood, Bellwood and Westchester. That wasn’t the case 10-12 years ago.

Big difference for Montini? IC is recruiting and getting kids from Maywood, Bellwood and Westchester. That wasn’t the case 10-12 years ago.

Are those Addison Driscoll kids / families still going to IC or has that ended? I know that was 15 years ago but at the Christian Brothers schools you would see the following generation kids going to the same school as the parents.

Are those Addison Driscoll kids / families still going to IC or has that ended? I know that was 15 years ago but at the Christian Brothers schools you would see the following generation kids going to the same school as the parents.
Are there still Driscoll families?

I also think there was a turn over in legacy families. No more Borsellino kids, Westerkamps, Hylands, etc etc. All the youngest brothers graduated. Those glue legacy families have dried out.

- IC 16, 17, 18 titles
- Fenwick State title

Very well said, I mean this sincerely! You hit on all the points Montini Football is challenged with. One question - was Jessen at Montini before he graduated from Willowbrook?

- IC 16, 17, 18 titles
- Fenwick State title

Thanks for sharing.

Two questions
1-Why are montini’s lower levels successful but not translating to varsity?
2-All is true about more competition in the area. But, all those private schools are finding ways to win and Montini is not. What are they doing differently?

Thanks for sharing.

Two questions
1-Why are montini’s lower levels successful but not translating to varsity?
2-All is true about more competition in the area. But, all those private schools are finding ways to win and Montini is not. What are they doing differently?

I think with Naz they did start leaving when JJ or covid hit. I will let the other poster respond to the rest.

- IC 16, 17, 18 titles
- Fenwick State title

MC couldn't stop the JCA run game in 2018 but MC was able to stop the MC run game.

MC couldn't stop the JCA run game in 2018 but MC was able to stop the MC run game.
I have no idea who this guy is. But whoever was calling offensive plays for the 2018 5A title game is what cost that team the game. Montini was running at will and had no need to pass in the second half. Doing so is what cost them.

I have no dog in this argument and really hope montini turns it around. But the guy calling offensive plays was probably more responsible than anyone else for inviting JC back into a game tbey had no business being in.

• Love
I have no idea who this guy is. But whoever was calling offensive plays for the 2018 5A title game is what cost that team the game. Montini was running at will and had no need to pass in the second half. Doing so is what cost them.

I have no dog in this argument and really hope montini turns it around. But the guy calling offensive plays was probably more responsible than anyone else for inviting JC back into a game tbey had no business being in.
Wasn't that Montini team undefeated and had handed eventual 8a champion Loyola an early season defeat?

Wasn't that Montini team undefeated and had handed eventual 8a champion Loyola an early season defeat?
Looks like they beat Loyola by 1 and got clobbered by brother rice for their only loss prior to the title game.

looks like Loyola beat rice 13-3 in the 8A title game.

I didn’t realize that at the time. I’m going to take this opportunity to crown 4 loss 2018 Joliet catholic as the best team in the entire state that year by the transitive property.

in all seriousness, that is a game montini wins 85 times out of 100. Up and driving to go ahead three scores, they threw a 3rd quarter pick into the very strong JC secondary. It’s easy to say they could have run the ball and punched it in, but they had been doing so with such ease. The only way they lose is to turn the ball over there.

• Love
Looks like they beat Loyola by 1 and got clobbered by brother rice for their only loss prior to the title game.

looks like Loyola beat rice 13-3 in the 8A title game.

I didn’t realize that at the time. I’m going to take this opportunity to crown 4 loss 2018 Joliet catholic as the best team in the entire state that year by the transitive property.

in all seriousness, that is a game montini wins 85 times out of 100. Up and driving to go ahead three scores, they threw a 3rd quarter pick into the very strong JC secondary. It’s easy to say they could have run the ball and punched it in, but they had been doing so with such ease. The only way they lose is to turn the ball over there.
Montini lost their starting quarterback in the 2nd quarter of the 2018 state championship game - Deontae Bell. With him, no doubt they would have won.

Montini lost their starting quarterback in the 2nd quarter of the 2018 state championship game - Deontae Bell. With him, no doubt they would have won.
All the more reason to run with a two score lead and driving in the third quarter?

If you have a two score lead, the ball deep in opponent territory, and rolling the clock downward is helping you grind clock to a title, do you put the ball in the hands of your second string quarterback or your big ten running back?

and the JC defense is adequate everywhere but exceptional in the back four….

Last edited:
JCA freshmen handled Montini 35-7. It looks like the Hill will be able to defend slant/ crossing routes in a few years.
You cant watch freshman game and predict whats gonna happen in the future....players get better, players get worse, players develop more talent, strength, speed, etc. 🤷🏽‍♂️

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT