ADVERTISEMENT

Hilltoppers 49 Morris 7 3:41 Q4 nm

Awww he gave up so quickly. If his name is any indication he's just salty that Morris hung 50 on his team.

He was so excited people would join him in the Morris hate, but doesn't realize there's a respect between Morris and JCA.
it sounds like you need a hug after that woodshed game today?

it sounds like you need a hug after that woodshed game today?
Nope, I'm good, but it seems like you're looking for a pat on the back for doing nothing. It's cute that a HS football game is the highlight of your day.

Reactions: rjjtwest
Entering the week, I assumed Morris was a decent favorite because I assumed their schedule was not what JC's was, but still fairly potent. Then I looked at what their opponents had done the first few weeks in the playoffs and it was......not good. My Sunday assumption of Morris having been battle tested became skepticism by Monday and then outright confidence that they had played nobody all season long by Tuesday. That kind of played out today.

I think Morris' injuries didn't help, but it wouldn't have mattered as their lines both got tossed around. For their part, JC looks great physically but has simply got to play smarter for all four quarters. The procedure and personal foul penalties will have to be reduced to close to zero for next week to not put us behind the 8 ball.

As for Morris, I assume they are on the phone next week looking to upgrade their weeks 1 and 2 games next season. With a conference as soft as the Kish/I-8, they simply have to play teams better than Coal City and Joliet West to be real players in 5A. I am confident they will. Maybe JC has an opening week 1 or 2 and these two can hook up again?
The Hilltoppers are perhaps Illinois' greatest legacy program for a reason (Chicago Mt. Carmel and East St. Louis might have an argument there). They came into a big game in a hostile environment and demonstrated why they keep winning championships decade after decade. Hats off to Joliet Catholic on a resounding win. When you play them, you need to match the intensity, the big plays, the big stops, and the momentum swings. Morris wasn't able to do that, but a tough day doesn't diminish the accomplishments of a great season. Good luck the rest of the way. And really enjoyed sitting with DeanOf Selection and 4ANorth during the game, with a side visit with the one & only EdgyTim himself. A highlight, even if the game wasn't (for me, anyway).

Entering the week, I assumed Morris was a decent favorite because I assumed their schedule was not what JC's was, but still fairly potent. Then I looked at what their opponents had done the first few weeks in the playoffs and it was......not good. My Sunday assumption of Morris having been battle tested became skepticism by Monday and then outright confidence that they had played nobody all season long by Tuesday. That kind of played out today.

I think Morris' injuries didn't help, but it wouldn't have mattered as their lines both got tossed around. For their part, JC looks great physically but has simply got to play smarter for all four quarters. The procedure and personal foul penalties will have to be reduced to close to zero for next week to not put us behind the 8 ball.

As for Morris, I assume they are on the phone next week looking to upgrade their weeks 1 and 2 games next season. With a conference as soft as the Kish/I-8, they simply have to play teams better than Coal City and Joliet West to be real players in 5A. I am confident they will. Maybe JC has an opening week 1 or 2 and these two can hook up again?
Joliet West did finish 8-2 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: JolietWest89
The Hilltoppers are perhaps Illinois' greatest legacy program for a reason (Chicago Mt. Carmel and East St. Louis might have an argument there). They came into a big game in a hostile environment and demonstrated why they keep winning championships decade after decade. Hats off to Joliet Catholic on a resounding win. When you play them, you need to match the intensity, the big plays, the big stops, and the momentum swings. Morris wasn't able to do that, but a tough day doesn't diminish the accomplishments of a great season. Good luck the rest of the way. And really enjoyed sitting with DeanOf Selection and 4ANorth during the game, with a side visit with the one & only EdgyTim himself. A highlight, even if the game wasn't (for me, anyway).
I saw the second half of Morris/SHG. I was very impressed in that game with Morris' QB and skill position depth, when two of their key guys got banged up, other guys stepped up. I thought JCA would have an advantage at the LOS. I didn't realize the size of the advantage, though. That's where the game was lost for Morris, IMO. It seemed the Morris coaching staff recognized that defensively. Morris was run blitzing almost the whole game. They blew up a number of plays, but also gave up a number of big plays. It's a high risk type of defense, but I'm guessing they thought it gave them the best chance to negate JCA's linemen advantage.

Haven't been to Morris' field since 2011. The renovations are impressive. It's was always a great venue, it's even better now. I know it's been a number of years since the renovations, but what a great place to watch a HS football game. And the atmosphere was electric.

I saw the second half of Morris/SHG. I was very impressed in that game with Morris' QB and skill position depth, when two of their key guys got banged up, other guys stepped up. I thought JCA would have an advantage at the LOS. I didn't realize the size of the advantage, though. That's where the game was lost for Morris, IMO. It seemed the Morris coaching staff recognized that defensively. Morris was run blitzing almost the whole game. They blew up a number of plays, but also gave up a number of big plays. It's a high risk type of defense, but I'm guessing they thought it gave them the best chance to negate JCA's linemen advantage.

Haven't been to Morris' field since 2011. The renovations are impressive. It's was always a great venue, it's even better now. I know it's been a number of years since the renovations, but what a great place to watch a HS football game. And the atmosphere was electric.
That jca touchdown right before half was the back breaker!

Joliet West did finish 8-2 🤷‍♂️
Around week 9 or 10 I was looking at Morris' schedule and saying, wow, they handled an 8-1 JW, an otherwise undefeated Sycamore, and a pretty good Richmond-Burton program. That is battle tested.

Then I saw Ignatius, who played blow for blow with JC, demolish West. We saw Sycamore get beaten by an above average MP team, and R-B lost to Viator who then lost to Wheaton Academy. It was at that time that I realized "their only three wins were paper tigers." I truly did not believe that until the playoffs started. I assumed the conference was fairly strong based on reputations. I assumed West was strong based on record.

This is not to say R-B, Sycamore, or JW weren't good or had good seasons. They did. But Joliet West is alot further away from any meaningful relevance or being a true barometer of success than their record in the hapless SW Prairie East indicates. And Sycamore was not at the level of a usual Sycamore. The one touchdown game they played with Morris was not the original "slugfest that proves Morris is legit" that I assumed and more a "Morris squeaks out a win against a down Sycamore team."

Even the SHG win set off alarm bells. When SHG loses 3 games, you know they aren't at their peak SHG level. I know it's a tough place to play, but I expected it to be a game in the first half and then Morris to pull away with ease.

When they did not, it was just another data point that their success was not at the elite level like I had assumed going into week 11. Still a great season. Just have to reframe expectations when more information becomes clear. Instead of being one of the 2-3 title favorites in 5A, they were likely "one of the real good teams in 5A, likely ranked in the 6-10 range.

Around week 9 or 10 I was looking at Morris' schedule and saying, wow, they handled an 8-1 JW, an otherwise undefeated Sycamore, and a pretty good Richmond-Burton program. That is battle tested.

Then I saw Ignatius, who played blow for blow with JC, demolish West. We saw Sycamore get beaten by an above average MP team, and R-B lost to Viator who then lost to Wheaton Academy. It was at that time that I realized "their only three wins were paper tigers." I truly did not believe that until the playoffs started. I assumed the conference was fairly strong based on reputations. I assumed West was strong based on record.

This is not to say R-B, Sycamore, or JW weren't good or had good seasons. They did. But Joliet West is alot further away from any meaningful relevance or being a true barometer of success than their record in the hapless SW Prairie East indicates. And Sycamore was not at the level of a usual Sycamore. The one touchdown game they played with Morris was not the original "slugfest that proves Morris is legit" that I assumed and more a "Morris squeaks out a win against a down Sycamore team."

Even the SHG win set off alarm bells. When SHG loses 3 games, you know they aren't at their peak SHG level. I know it's a tough place to play, but I expected it to be a game in the first half and then Morris to pull away with ease.

When they did not, it was just another data point that their success was not at the elite level like I had assumed going into week 11. Still a great season. Just have to reframe expectations when more information becomes clear. Instead of being one of the 2-3 title favorites in 5A, they were likely "one of the real good teams in 5A, likely ranked in the 6-10 range.
I gotta cut Joliet West a bit of slack seeing they are trying to build their program.Plus they're ex Illini 8 & Sica & teams from those 2 old Conferences are my favorites

Reactions: JolietWest89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT